• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duckling colour variation - UK (1 Viewer)

NIK III

This duckling was being shunned by other ducks and ducklings on a canal in West Yorkshire. The only birds on the water at the time were mallards. I would be grateful if anyone can tell me the name of it's condition, and offer any opinions as to the species.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• duckling.jpg
    duckling.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 65
It's a Mallard, the ducklings can vary a lot in colouration, doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it in this photo.

If the Mallard has hybrid genes (or has mated with a White farmyard type Duck) in it sometimes you will get white ducklings with the more normal coloured ducklings.

CB

Thanks jacana & CB. I've not seen one as pale as this before. I was thinking it may be an example of leucism.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back