• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (26 Viewers)

This morning from first light 6.10am.
Cool SW usually strengthening with heavy showers. Unfortunately nothing came in with these conditions. A few SWALLOW families , several house Martin's a sand martin, meadow pipit (2) and a couple of grey wags moved south.
Prior to the resumption of the Amy's Marsh work I did a waterfowl count and there was a decline in some duck numbers. The first cold spell usually sees a drop off in waders and this appears to be the case today.
A few summer visitors lurked namely sedge warbler and chiffchaffs.
The work is really moving on at pace and already after 4 & a bit days the scrape has been transformed.

Species count MOORS:
GCG. Little grebe 10. Little egret 2. Grey heron 4. Cormorant 6. Greylag 19. Mute swan 8.
Shoveler 27. Teal 32. Gadwall 6. Wigeon 3. Pochard 3. Tufted 47. Coot 250-260. Water rail 2.
Green sand. Snipe 3. Lapwing 80.
Less gulls than of late on the Pool but many herring and LBBG overhead.
Green woodpecker. Kingfisher.
Swallow 20. House Martin 40+. Sand Martin.
Meadow pipit 2. Grey wag 2. Pied 2.
Cetti's w singing. Chiffchaff 3. Sedge w.
Goldfinch few.

From the Moors Pool Gert reports:

2 juvenile Little Ringed Plover (first of the month), 2 Little Egret, Green Sand and 4 Snipe

John further reports from the Flashes:

Greylag Geese 95, Teal 12, Shoveler 3, Curlew 11, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Lapwing 140+, BH Gull 200 roosted plus handful of large gulls, Cetti's Warbler singing.

Heavy rain at moment - owl probably lying low in cover.

Short Eared owl

At 6.25am walking along path between cuckoo hide and Avocet hide when a startled blackbird flew out in front of me....followed by a large palish bird. It flew up and over the bushes and over to the Flashes. I didn't manage to get another view of the bird but pondered on it being a dark barn owl but even though the light was poor this bird was too dark for a barn owl. I then ran (well in my own sort of way ran8-P) to the Avocet hide. I heard a curlew alarming so was hopeful that the 'owl' as I thought was on show. Immediately on arrival in the hide there it was and my suspicions were realised it was a Short Eared Owl .it's Sandy Brown Upper parts and large dark carpal patches were obvious as it quartered the southern meadow. It dropped down briefly before tsking off again and disappeared behind the public footpath hedgerow.
I managed to phone Dave J who I knew was at the Moors but the bird was not seen again .and thus no texts from me. Suffice to say that it might well reappear this evening. The heavy rain would have forced it to lie low.
So the prediction of more favourable weather this evening you might have a chance of seeing it :t: john
Also this morning
Greylag 95. Canada's 200. Teal 23. Shoveler 3.
Curlew 11 common Sand. Green sand. Lapwing 140+.
Kingfisher.
Oh and yes some welcome water in 2nd Flash B :)

From the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

2 juvenile Ringed Plover, Green Sandpiper, 3 Snipe, 3 Wigeon, 3 Pochard, 5 Meadow Pipit, Sand Martin, 20+ House Martin, 2 Swallow

q short visit

saw these on way across causeway amazing the difference a bit of sun makes.

Attachments

• _DSC2347.jpg
    _DSC2347.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 44
  • _DSC2352.JPG
    _DSC2352.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
John further reports from the Flashes:

Greylag Geese 95, Teal 12, Shoveler 3, Curlew 11, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Lapwing 140+, BH Gull 200 roosted plus handful of large gulls, Cetti's Warbler singing.

Heavy rain at moment - owl probably lying low in cover.

Final tally at Flashes: different to above
Little grebe (3rd Flash)
Teal 26. Curlew 12. Green sand 2. Snipe. Lapwing 176.
Water rail.
Rook 10. Jay. Jackdaw c350 -400. Stock Dove 30.
Swallow c40. Pied wag 3 ( very scarse this year). Grey wag 2. Meadow pipit c5.
Mistle thrush.
Whitethroat. Blackcap 2. Chiffchaff.
Linnet 22. Goldfinch 40. Greenfinch 5.
Reed Bunting c6.

Sailing pool: GCG 7.

Final tally at Flashes: different to above
Little grebe (3rd Flash)
Teal 26. Curlew 12. Green sand 2. Snipe. Lapwing 176.
Water rail.
Rook 10. Jay. Jackdaw c350 -400. Stock Dove 30.
Swallow c40. Pied wag 3 ( very scarse this year). Grey wag 2. Meadow pipit c5.
Mistle thrush.
Whitethroat. Blackcap 2. Chiffchaff.
Linnet 22. Goldfinch 40. Greenfinch 5.
Reed Bunting c6.

Sailing pool: GCG 7.

Roost tonight held c.250 BHG, 2 H.Gull, 3 LBBG, 202 Lapwing & 13 Curlew. One Common Sandpiper present plus 30 Teal. Two Peregrines over Sailing Pool c.16.00, one later over Flashes with prey. Highlight of my 7.5 hours on site were my first Ringed Plovers of the year, the two juveniles at the Moors Pool.

I won't be down today so could someone video and take stills of all the work at Amy's Marsh . Put on here and Twitter as people are very interested in how things are progressing.
The work should be completed by Friday.
Cheers John:t:B :)

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

No sign of the Short-eared Owl but 232 Lapwing, 13 Curlew, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Snipe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back