• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full frame or crop camera? (1 Viewer)

alphan

With bird photography, 99% of the photos taken we need to crop to size. With crop sensor camera we crop less than full frame camera. Anybody ever compared between full frame and crop sensor camera with scope?

For a similar distance, take a few shots and choose the best with the crop sensor camera, crop it down to required size or no crop at all. Then with a closely priced full frame camera from the same Brand, take a few shots and again choose the best. Crop it down to the same size as the crop sensor shots, compare the two photos. Which would give a better results? This is assuming two cameras of similar class and brand.

I would think it comes down to the quality of the sensor. In theory both could end up being cropped to the same amount of pixels for any given area within the frame (eg 24Mp full frame and 18Mp crop camera) The results should then be the same if all else is equal.

While crop sensor cameras are making good progress I think it's worth waiting maybe another 6 months to a year to see what has become available. I'd like to upgrade my Canon dslr and I am waiting to get a crop sensor/mirrorless camera but I think they are still one generation away from being just right with regards to sensor noise. The main reasons I want a crop sensor camera are for the mirrorless design, no mirror slap to worry about. If I did go for a crop sesnor camera today it would probably be the Sony NEX5 although that is only a 1.5X crop. I can crop my Canon photos by 100% sometimes so I don't think the crop value is the main attraction for me. It's the mirrorless design and then the ISO performance would be the thing I looked at next, then the continuous shooting in RAW, how soon the buffer got filled up, battery life etc.

Paul.

It's the mirrorless design and then the ISO performance would be the thing I looked at next said:
Hmmmm. I do agree Paul. But don't forget those wonderful "focus assist" goodies: Focus Peaking an Touch Focus - it will change the ball game completely from the limitations set by the dim view finders in DSLR's. Although, from the first peeks at the new Sony Nex 5N and 7, they have scrambled the feature sets between the two cameras to such an extent that it is no easy decision which one to go for.

Mirror slap is one thing, extra cropping would be another thing. If full frame will more or less compensate with higher IQ for the extra crop, then it would be easier to keep the BIF in the frame. Most of my shots are more than 100% cropping but with BIF, we are shooting against stronger light (sky etc), thus having a nearer object would be nice.

Olympus got 2X crop but their sensor are just ????? I think the 1.5X crop sensor are the most tech advanced at the moment in term of ISO handling etcs. Not dreaming of mirrorless camera at the moment. Most of them just get drunk on their batteries. My A550 can last me 2 full days and about 300 shots on a charge.

Last edited:
Most of my shots are more than 100% cropping but with BIF, we are shooting against stronger light (sky etc), thus having a nearer object would be nice.

100% crop means you are viewing the image at 100% full size on the screen and just cropping off the border. You can't get more than 100% crop.

I think if you want to do a lot of cropping then just get a higfher megapixel dslr with something like a 1.5X sensor. I think a cropped dslr image will out perform any 2X crop sensor, plus you have the way better ISO performance. Once the 2X crop sensors can get over the inherent ISO problems then they will be attractive.

Paul.

Thanks Paul for the correction. I mean even when viewed at 100%, still not full screen yet. Unless I get lucky like having a bird landed nearby, most of my shots would be 50% -80%. I even go 150% for those desperate shots ha....and will only be good for ID.

The current trend in DSLR improvement seems more concentrate with 1.5X crop sensor camera. The better full frame would always remain elusive to my pocket.

I tried C90 with my existing 1.25" T2 and extension and it already gave me heavy vignetting. Even when I put in the 2X reducer (DIY Objective), it still give a bit of vignetting.

Not dreaming of mirrorless camera at the moment. Most of them just get drunk on their batteries. My A550 can last me 2 full days and about 300 shots on a charge.
Is that good? My Olympus E-520 gives me 1300 shots on one charge (MF lens perhaps saves some power), and because it goes to sleep between shots, I can leave it on for days.

My old Canon S3IS compact gave me 700 shots. It too could sleep between shots, but it retracted the lens and forgot all the settings when it did, so not very practical.

I agree that battery life will be a big difference between mirrorless and DSLR, but if 300 shots is your target then it ought to be easily achievable.

Not sure what my Canon 450D takes but I would change the battery about once per week while taking maybe a few hundred shots per day. As you say the camera going to sleep is handy and I often leave mine on by mistake. Not done much with the scope this year because of work commitments and it's been about 6 months since I last changed the battery. I still use the camera for work, taking photos for my website etc. I don't use live view which helps and I turn off all the menu screens, start up screens etc so that they are only manually accessed. I turned off all sounds, beeps etc and only have about a 2 second preview of each photo. It all helps to save drain on the battery.

Paul.

Is that good?

I am happy with that. Oh I forgot, I usually preview my shots after after every actions and in between shots with perched birds just to check on exposure, focus and other settings. My camera (after repair) always gives a varied exposure even when set to spot metering. I always have to play around with the EV Compensation when using the scope. With the TN added, I have to focus using live view MF Check.

I tried using the A55 and it drain the battery in less than a day. My day normally start at 6:30 am and end at 11:30pm. After dark, we shoot insects and night objects with flash (external).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back