• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can cassowaries see UV light? (1 Viewer)

possum 2019

We live in the middle of the forest in far north Queensland, Australia and are enjoying the diverse birdlife here very much.
A few weeks ago, the main mating season for cassowaries began, and now we have a big female here, who is upset by her reflection in one of our windows. Sometimes she becomes quite agitated and then starts booming at that 'other cassowary'.
We could let the shutters down, but a more elegant solution would be to use those almost invisible, UV-coated bird stickers on the glass. They would break up her reflection and hopefully stop her from getting worked up over nothing.
But these stickers won't work, if cassowaries cannot see the UV-reflecting coating.
Does anyone know?

Are you talking about stickers that reflect UV light, or are you referring to the common practice of "UV coating" which is actually one of two things:

--A coating to protect the substrate (the sticker) from fading in UV light (sunlight). Doesn't reflect UV light in any special way that I know of.

--A coating that is simply a coating to provide durability to the substrate that is cured by UV light and may or may not reflect or protect from UV light itself.

For example, we have a printer (think fancy, expensive inkjet...though it uses "inks" a bit more like paint) at work that uses "UV inks"...the inks do not cure by drying (they actually "never" cure in the open air by themselves) but by exposure to UV light. They don't reflect UV light in any special way that I am aware.

Another possibility is insect screen mesh in the outside of the window, if you don't mind a very slight reduction of the quality of the view from your window.

Another possibility is insect screen mesh in the outside of the window, if you don't mind a very slight reduction of the quality of the view from your window.
Here stateside, hot areas use "sun screens" which are large fixed screens permanently mount to the outside of a window to cut down on radiant heat. I've photographed through them before but...might not be idea since the mesh is rather large in size.

But combining an outside screen frame with something like UltraVue screen material might do the trick? UltraVue is a common trade name here for a material that is nigh-invisible to the eye. I have the stuff as regular window screens and can photograph through it no problem and looking through it you can barely tell it's there but for a very slightly darker view.

I'm betting the screen material would be enough to cut glare and mess-up the reflection.

Yep if the only object is to stop the Cassowary from getting riled up (not a problem I'm familiar with in my hemisphere!) the (fine) mesh would be enough I would think to stop it from seeing a coherent reflection of itself. If you want to get good photos through it though, then you might need to go more high tech

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back