• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B2 disassembled (172 parts) see picture. (1 Viewer)

Seems like a real push for Maven, I wonder how they will be doing in a few years, that will be an interesting story.

Andy W.

While it is interesting to see all the parts laid out like that, the rest of that is pretty worthless. if you are going to the effort of disassembly, then some comments on how easily it came apart, how well it was assembled originally, and how well it went back together, and how easily repairable it might be are worth much more than the entire article.

Personally I'd like to know about that.

But maybe they didn't really take it apart. Could be they thought this was an innovative new way to do a review.

But maybe they didn't really take it apart. Could be they thought this was an innovative new way to do a review.

Steve,
Remember that video of a Zeiss Conquest being run over by an SUV and then shot with a shotgun, and the Conquest didn't blink? Maybe they tried that with the Maven and the photo is the result......

Lee
Just my sense of humour, folks.

While it is interesting to see all the parts laid out like that, the rest of that is pretty worthless. if you are going to the effort of disassembly, then some comments on how easily it came apart, how well it was assembled originally, and how well it went back together, and how easily repairable it might be are worth much more than the entire article.

Personally I'd like to know about that.

Steve, dismantling = 2hrs 25mins ...... seems involved - I wonder whether that was with or without the Kamakura instructions ...... ? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Steve, dismantling = 2hrs 25mins ...... seems involved - I wonder whether that was with or without the Kamakura instructions ...... ? :cat:

I think that is just a manufacturers schematic they got from somewhere. if they really did take it apart I wonder if they could put it back together, or if they put the parts in a shoebox and sent it back?

Lee,

I once asked Maven if they had plans to do the Conquest test protocol. They saud no, but said that if I wanted to do it, and broke the binocular, they'd replace it under warranty.

Steve ,

Bill would be the man to answer all of your questions. :t:

I would think reassembly would need some jigs and collimation alignment and checks, even if they dismantled quite meticulously by making matching markings on thread positions etc. I doubt it would go back exactly the same, but being made for manufacture, it would have to go somewhere near it within a range. No small skills would be needed to narrow that gap.

The parts in a shoebox (or wonkily assembled bin that won't perform) would have to be high chances.

It would be interesting to know if it is just a manufacturer's exploded parts schematic, or whether someone has actually had a crack ......

Last edited:
See Action Optics, Southampton, home page.

Tasco 8x21.

Only just over 50 parts shown.
Maybe could be further disassembled?

B.

Last edited:
Steve ,

Bill would be the man to answer all of your questions. :t:

I would think reassembly would need some jigs and collimation alignment and checks, even if they dismantled quite meticulously by making matching markings on thread positions etc. I doubt it would go back exactly the same, but being made for manufacture, it would have to go somewhere near it within a range. No small skills would be needed to narrow that gap.

The parts in a shoebox (or wonkily assembled bin that won't perform) would have to be high chances.

It would be interesting to know if it is just a manufacturer's exploded parts schematic, or whether someone has actually had a crack ......

Putting it back together might not be so tough. But you are correct in saying that putting it back together correctly is another matter entirely.

I once received a porro binocular I bought online from a thrift store. When I got it, the binocular rattled like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts. Most of the parts came out in a jumbled pile. It was not worth the cost to ship it back, so I had a go at it myself. Got it puzzled out and back together. Bill would likely call it triple conditionally aligned, but it works.

My guess is a manufacturers schematic, but just that...a guess.

dismantled 8x21

See Action Optics, Southampton, home page.

Tasco 8x21.

Only just over 50 parts shown.
Maybe could be further disassembled?

B.

Hi Binastro. The only bits that could be further broken down are the prism assemblies. I did not take the prisms out of their cages as they are glued in with epoxy resin. That Tasco probably took about 15 minutes to take apart and about 20 mins to reassembly incl proper collimation.
I would be worried that I was loosing my touch if I took two hours and a half to take a binocular to pieces.
Also that Maven does not have gears in the focus assembly.

Last edited:
Hi Richard,
Which binocular has the greatest number of parts?

I took apart a high quality aero lens for cleaning.
What I didn't know is that it had perhaps a hundred tiny ball bearings in it. They fell out everywhere.
It was a write off for me, but it didn't cost much.

B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back