• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat in Barbados (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
One name I have come across is Insular single leaf bat -- is that what this is? Barbados October 12, but date is probably not important, bats seems to be resident where this one was photographed.

thanks
Niels

PS: It seems that Jamaican Fruit eating Bat is the other species with that type of leaf-like structure on the nose that occurs in Barbados

Attachments

• Bat P1140056.jpg
    Bat P1140056.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Andy thanks for the link and i additionally followed another link from there to the original paper. Fascinating!

However, one of the important facts about the schwartzi bat is a large size. The paper I linked to has a statement
In the absence of genome-scan data the smaller morphological phenotype of the Barbados population (with respect to the St. Vincent population of A. schwartzi) indicates that A. jamaicensis would be the most appropriate taxon for the Artibeus of Barbados.

The authors additionally refer to mitochondrial DNA sequences indicating that most of these on Barbados fit the original jamaicensis with only a minority of schwartzi types occurring. Could this have changed since 2012? I guess it could.

Niels

Niels,
here is a shot we took in Costa Rica, we were told that this is jamaicensis but the ears look more rounded than yours (I don't mean yours personally, Ive never seen them so can't comment ;)) so maybe we got this wrong?

Attachments

• Common or Mexican Fruit bat Artibeus jamaicensis.jpg
    Common or Mexican Fruit bat Artibeus jamaicensis.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 14
Could it be down to geographic differences? CR to Barbados is a long way for a mostly resident species ...
For comparison, the distance is larger than Copenhagen - Malaga and a little shorter than Oslo - Malaga.

Niels

Could it be down to geographic differences? CR to Barbados is a long way for a mostly resident species ...
For comparison, the distance is larger than Copenhagen - Malaga and a little shorter than Oslo - Malaga.

Niels

Hmm, not sure they'd have different ears shape but who knows?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back