• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Aztec Sailing Centre Open Day 10am - 4pm

This Saturday AZTEC have a free open day.
There will be plenty of people around. The car park will be full. To any early rising Birders - I will open the overspill car park on left side. Any birders later in the day things might be chaotic so park at Moors.
There will also be FREE access to the Reserve between these times.
The Trust will have a stall on site and will involved in the day. They will be taking people on to the Flashes at 11 am - 11.45 am and again at 2pm - 2.4pm. I will be in the hide to show them the birds in the morning. If someone would like to assist during these times let me know.
Sorry for any inconvenience, but this is hopefully the start of more interaction with the Trust and AZTEC. This could benefit us all in the future. Maybe the Education Reserve could come under our management. ....who knows:t:

B :) John

Attachments

• 20160511_130223.jpg
    20160511_130223.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 116
Another day...another bird...today's Black Terns were a welcome addition to Monday's Grey Plover and Tuesday's Greenshanks....wonder what tomorrow will bring?...white-winged black tern maybe...:t:

Last edited:
Another day...another bird...today's Black Terns were a welcome addition to Monday's Grey Plover and Tuesday's Greenshanks....wonder what tomorrow will bring?...white-winged black tern maybe...:t:

I was casting an envious eye on the pair of Caspian Tern down river at Portbury ...

Whilst there is no rain forecast tomorrow conditions remain favourable - the wind is ENE or NE with temperatures climbing to a pleasant 21C. There are still a lot as displaced terns and waders inland that will be looking to re-orientated themselves in the next 48 hours.

The Spring All-Dayer (7th May) saw a new colour-ringed Black-headed Gull encountered at the Flashes - a first year bird with orange "284A" on its right leg.

This bird was ringed in the nest on the 18th June 2015 at Blashford Lakes near Ringwood at the edge of the New Forest in Hampshire. The only other sighting of the bird came from Galway in Ireland on the 18th March 2016.

This Saturday AZTEC have a free open day.
There will be plenty of people around. The car park will be full. To any early rising Birders - I will open the overspill car park on left side. Any birders later in the day things might be chaotic so park at Moors.
There will also be FREE access to the Reserve between these times.
The Trust will have a stall on site and will involved in the day. They will be taking people on to the Flashes at 11 am - 11.45 am and again at 2pm - 2.4pm. I will be in the hide to show them the birds in the morning. If someone would like to assist during these times let me know.
Sorry for any inconvenience, but this is hopefully the start of more interaction with the Trust and AZTEC. This could benefit us all in the future. Maybe the Education Reserve could come under our management. ....who knows:t:

B :) John

That four minute visit starting at 2pm could be productive;)

Another impromptu visit this evening, this time to connect with the seven Black Terns at the Moors Pool. A shameful example of tick and run |<|

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Black Tern (7)------------------Arctic Tern @ 12.50 before flying north after a few minutes.
Dunlin (2)-----------------------LRP
Common Sand------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Common Tern (10)-------------Shelduck (3)
Med Gull/B H Gull---------------Shoveler (2m)
Gadwall (3m)-------------------Garden Warbler
Goldcrest-----------------------Water Rail
Tufted Duck (32)---------------G C Grebe (2)

FLASHES:
Dunlin (7)----------------------Ringed Plover briefly a.m. (Andy P)
Common Sand-----------------Avocet (32) 5 sitting
Lapwing chicks 3:3:3:1--------Oystercatcher (2)
Hobby--------------------------Med Gull (1s)
Shelduck (5)-------------------Tufted Duck (72)
Gadwall (2m)-------------------Shoveler (2m)
Cetti's Warbler------------------L Whitethroat
Commic Terns (8) flying high in an easterly direction this evening.

SAILING POOL:
Common Tern (max 14)--------Arctic Tern @2.50 and still present until swimming got underway this evening.
Swift (20)-----------------------Tufted Duck (11)
G C Grebe (2)

Des.

This evening there are 3 Black Terns on the Moors Pool and 1 on the Sailing Pool as per Steve Whitehouse (via JTB). No idea if these are new birds or the remnants of this morning's flock of 11 birds.

Last edited:
a few from today

spent a few hours at the sailing pool this aft, the black tern spent a few hours at the other side of the pool so this is as good as i could get.

Attachments

• DSC03444.jpg
    DSC03444.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC03483.jpg
    DSC03483.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC03500.jpg
    DSC03500.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC03464.jpg
    DSC03464.jpg