• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski - odd business policy - near point (1 Viewer)

I'm seriously considering buying a Zeiss SF 8x32, I will do once I had one in hands and it is really as good as I hope for.

If Swaro has a wide angle NL32 in the make, they better announce it soon. If they don't I'll assume it's still some years away and will not wait for that.
At B&H the EL 8x32's are out of stock for 2 to 4 months. That probably means Swarovski has ceased production of them to make the NL 8x32. I will bet the NL 8x32 will be here in less than 6 months. Hang on a little longer!

Last edited:
Why would you buy a 8x32 NL when you have a cheaper and provably as good Zeiss 8x32 SF for less money?
Same for the 8 or 10x42 NL and 8.5 or 10x42 EL. Compare them first to the SF and you”ll probably end up with very marginal differences, except for the price compared to the NL, and the close focus compared to the EL, both in favour to the SF.

We do not know what the price for the NL 8X32 will be, and if it is even coming out this year do we?
Looks like it is going to be blue and green on here for a while.

Why would you buy a 8x32 NL when you have a cheaper and provably as good Zeiss 8x32 SF for less money?

In the UK the 8x32 SF is £2065, the NL 8x42 £2370, the EL SV 8x32 £1560, and the EL SV 8.5x42 used to be £2120 before the price cut. Therefore you would expect an eventual NL 8x32 to be around £1700–1800 if they adopt the same discount rate for 8x32 vs 8x42, and thus significantly cheaper than the 8x32 SF.

Now, I don't think Zeiss will be able to sustain their pricing. I switched my 8x32 SF preorder to the 8x42 NL for an extra £305, I doubt I am the only one. I was mostly interested in the 8x32 SF for the FOV, and the NL betters that.

I doubt they will drop the EL. More likely the SLC will be the one to go, although they can easily keep 3 lines for the $1500–$2000–$3000 price points since they have higher volume than Leica or Zeiss.

Last edited:
Why would you buy an 8x32 NL when you have a cheaper and provably as good Zeiss 8x32 SF for less money?
Same for the 8 or 10x42 NL and 8.5 or 10x42 EL. Compare them first to the SF and you” ll probably end up with very marginal differences, except for the price compared to the NL, and the close focus compared to the EL, both in favor of the SF.
You're probably right. I think the only advantage the NL will have over the new Zeiss SF will be a slightly bigger FOV and probably sharper edges. Zeiss SF's historically don't have quite as sharp of edges as Swarovski EL's but the new SF 8x32 could be different. The best thing to do would be to wait for the new SF and NL and compare them and see which one you like better. I already like the weight and size of SF 8x32 better than the NL 8x42. The SF 8x32 has a FOV of 467 feet versus the NL which is 477 feet. That is only 10 feet or a 2% larger FOV. If the Zeiss SF has sharp edges that is not huge.

Last edited:
In the UK the 8x32 SF is £2065, the NL 8x42 £2370, the EL SV 8x32 £1560, and the EL SV 8.5x42 used to be £2120 before the price cut. Therefore you would expect an eventual NL 8x32 to be around £1700–1800 if they adopt the same discount rate for 8x32 vs 8x42, and thus significantly cheaper than the 8x32 SF.

Now, I don't think Zeiss will be able to sustain their pricing. I switched my 8x32 SF preorder to the 8x42 NL for an extra £305, I doubt I am the only one. I was mostly interested in the 8x32 SF for the FOV, and the NL betters that.

I doubt they will drop the EL. More likely the SLC will be the one to go, although they can easily keep 3 lines for the $1500–$2000–$3000 price points since they have higher volume than Leica or Zeiss.
Why I think they will drop the EL when the NL comes out is because when Swarovski came out with the new EL Swarovision they dropped the older EL because it was to close to the new EL in performance. The SLC IMO is an entirely different animal than the EL's and a lot of people like them because they do represent a different choice without the flat field and RB that sometime's comes with the EL Swarovision and they are sold at a much lower price point. The SLC's let people get into a full-size Swaro for a lot less money than an EL.

Some big ifs. There is no 8x32 NL, thus no pricing, no specs... and while you would expect the x42 NL to be great binoculars, I don’t quite understand how you switch from 8X32 to 8x42 without ever having seen them or compared them, and clearly without any specific goal to use them as you go from a lighter and less transmissive bin to a full-size bin. I would understand if you changed between 2 8x42 bins but for now...

Some big ifs. There is no 8x32 NL, thus no pricing, no specs... and while you would expect the x42 NL to be great binoculars, I don’t quite understand how you switch from 8X32 to 8x42 without ever having seen them or compared them, and clearly without any specific goal to use them as you go from a lighter and less transmissive bin to a full-size bin. I would understand if you changed between 2 8x42 bins but for now...

You make a good point, the NL is not even out yet, so everyone here should just wait until it comes out for an evaluation. It may not have anything over
the Zeiss Victory SF, that will be the main competition and that is very stiff.

The 32mm models may well be out a year or more. So don't get excited.

Patience is a virtue, the first models of these new ones often have problems, we have seen that with all brands.

Jerry

No kidding! I'm smiling here reading this stuff but please let's not inhibit the soothsayers from reading the tea leaves. I've read Nostradamus was a birder.

You're probably right. I think the only advantage the NL will have over the new Zeiss SF will be a slightly bigger FOV and probably sharper edges. Zeiss SF's historically don't have quite as sharp of edges as Swarovski EL's but the new SF 8x32 could be different. The best thing to do would be to wait for the new SF and NL and compare them and see which one you like better. I already like the weight and size of SF 8x32 better than the NL 8x42. The SF 8x32 has a FOV of 467 feet versus the NL which is 477 feet. That is only 10 feet or a 2% larger FOV. If the Zeiss SF has sharp edges that is not huge.

To be entirely fair Dennis, the 8x42 NL has a 4.3% greater AOV (Area of View) than the 8x32 SF ..... :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

To be entirely fair Dennis, the 8x42 NL has a 4.3% greater AOV (Area of View) than the 8x32 SF ..... :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

Yes it does and what a tremendous achievement brought to life by the use of Area of View of view statistic.

To be entirely fair, the fields of view of both NL 8x42 and SF 8x32 come at a cost. A cost in both money terms and the weight you have to carry to enjoy those fields of view.

For example for every gram you carry, SF 8x32 rewards you with 31.45 sq m of view.

While NL 8x42 rewards every gram you carry with 23.64 sq m of view.

Or in other words SF 8x32 gives you 32% more Area of View per unit of weight carried.

If you are not concerned with the weight of NL 8x42 being 840g (29.5 ozs without the headrest) compared with the SF8x32 at 600g (21.2oz) or 29% less, then these figures will probably be of only academic interest.

Lee

Last edited:
Discussions about the edge sharpness of optics this good is like buying a bottle of Domaine Leroy and obsessing about the quality of the glass used for the bottle :smoke:

Instead of Swarovski modifying the minimum distance of the EL for strange marketing reasons
What if...

They were doing it because they finally found a way to fix the eternal EL focussing issues, and the modification of the minimum distance is the result of this solution ?

Yes it does and what a tremendous achievement brought to life by the use of Area of View of view statistic.

To be entirely fair, the fields of view of both NL 8x42 and SF 8x32 come at a cost. A cost in both money terms and the weight you have to carry to enjoy those fields of view.

For example for every gram you carry, SF 8x32 rewards you with 31.45 sq m of view.

While NL 8x42 rewards every gram you carry with 23.64 sq m of view.

Or in other words SF 8x32 gives you 32% more Area of View per unit of weight carried.

If you are not concerned with the weight of NL 8x42 being 840g (29.5 ozs without the headrest) compared with the SF8x32 at 600g (21.2oz) or 29% less, then these figures will probably be of only academic interest.

Lee
Lee. Let's not forget the NL 8x42 being a 42mm brings in 70% more light than SF 8x32 and because of its 5.25mm exit pupil versus the 4mm exit pupil of the SF 8x32 has easier eye placement. True, you have to carry more weight with a 42mm but there are advantages. Probably one reason 8x42's are the most popular format. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to carry an NL 8x42 because of the weight but if it is as good optically as everybody is saying I will. Maybe an NL 10x42 will follow after I see how the NL 8x42 performs.

Last edited:
Lee. Let's not forget the NL 8x42 being a 42mm brings in 70% more light than SF 8x32 and because of its 5.25mm exit pupil versus the 4mm exit pupil of the SF 8x32 has easier eye placement. True, you have to carry more weight with a 42mm but there are advantages. Probably one reason 8x42's are the most popular format. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to carry an NL 8x42 because of the weight but if it is as good optically as everybody is saying I will. Maybe an NL 10x42 will follow after I see how the NL 8x42 performs.

Dennis

I would also buy the 12x42 and ask for 20% discount if I would take all three.
That would mean one with 60% discountB :)
Just my 2 cents.

Jan

Absolutely correct Dennis and I am sure all of that went through your mind and was carefully considered just a few days ago when you chose a 32mm as your hiking bino.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back