• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sounds like an owl, but I can't find it! (1 Viewer)

Hi there,
I joined this site because for about the last 3 weeks, I've been doing nothing but scratching my head over this bird who keeps hooting at night around my apartment.
I live in Spokane, Washington, and at night time on some nights (he keeps moving around, so it's not every night I hear him), I hear a bird hooting, typically coming from the open field across the highway from our apartment.
I can't find him, as I can't enter the field (private property), and he's only out at night anyway.
It sounds like a large bird as his voice carries so far and sounds very deep, yet soft; I'm guessing an owl, however absolutely NONE of the recordings of ANY pacific northwest owl I've heard sound ANYTHING like him.
He makes a soft, but loud hoot that goes like this:
"Hoo...hoo,hoo". There's a ~2 second pause between the first hoot, and a .5 second pause or so between the second two hoots. Like I said, it's a very soft hoot, but it carries far; he doesn't screech or anything like that.
It's pretty cold up here in the pacific northwest, don't know if that helps I.D. him.
As of right now I don't have a recording of him hooting, but I'm trying to get one. He stopped doing it as soon as I decided I was going to record him for an I.D. check. :-C
I'll keep trying though.
Is there any hope of pointing my in the direction of any birds that make a hoo/hoot sound like this, any recordings of their sounds or anything? I'd really like to find out what he is. It's driving me nuts! :) (in a good way)
Thank you so much for your time. Been scratching my head for weeks....
Shellie

Hmm, some of those do sound quite a lot like him. The only thing is I haven't heard him do a single little trill kinda of thing on the first or last hoo's. They're just plain simple hoo's, but that sounds a lot like him. Any advice on how I would go about finding him to check what type he is?

Sounds very good for a Great Horned. As for finding it, it would be really hard to find them as by walking up on them they would more than likely go silent and/or fly without you even knowing they left. If it's on private property I wouldn't trespass and ask the owner for permission to owl on their property. Either way the Great Horned is pretty unmistakable and I think if you study up a bit on the recordings bitterntwisted sent you I think you will be able to ID the bird without the challenge of seeing it in the flesh.

good luck :t:
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back