• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (3 Viewers)

A lot of this is repetition, but here goes.

As I've stated elsewhere, I think the question of how a large enough breeding population or populations could have survived undetected for so long is the strongest argument for extinction, but I don't think it's by any means an overwhelming one. There's some thought-provoking theorizing going on about this over at ibwo.net.

You're playing a bit fast and loose with the facts in some of your other statements, however. I've never been a big fan of the super-stealthy hypothesis, and the truth is that some post-1940s sightings, including a recent report from Arkansas, have come from vehicles. That particular sighting was ridiculed here for that very reason. Your flat statement that the IBWO was/is not adaptable is unproven, and even though Tanner may have said so, it is unsupported by what we do know about the species. Habitat in South Florida is quite different from habitat in Arkansas or, for that matter, in Ohio or Kentucky, where archaelogical and historical evidence, respectively, indicates IBWOs were, at the very least, visitors. This expansive range, in terms of both habitat and climate, is strong evidence that the IBWO was/is more adaptable than Tanner and others have suggested.

As for the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" canard, invoked again by another poster, it was fatuous when Carl Sagan said it about ETs, and it's even more fatuous when it's used by certain skeptics as a cudgel. Here's why. On the evidence side of the statement: evidence, by its very nature, is ordinary -- it may be circumstantial; it may be physical; it may be eyewitness, etc., but it's all the product of human efforts at collecting it, and it's all utterly commonplace, whatever the discipline. The term "extraordinary evidence" is exceedingly vague and subject to endless recalibration. I haven't gone back and reviewed the original statement, and it may be that Sagan had something specific in mind; perhaps he meant an "extraodinary quantity of evidence," or perhaps he meant an actual alien spacecraft. Whatever he meant, this was essentially a glib soundbyte, not the expression of a clear, scientific standard of proof.

Regarding the "extraordinary claims" side of the equation, I agree that claims the Earth is being visited by alien spacecraft (as opposed to the claim that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe) and that giant, hominid bipeds are roaming North America are extraordinary, when there's nothing in the fossil record to support the latter claim and no physical evidence to support the former one. Conversely, the survival and rediscovery of species presumed extinct (sometimes for millions of years) is in fact rather commonplace, sometimes even in highly populated areas. Are most of these species as big and dramatic looking as the IBWO, no, but I venture to say that most of those species have not been sighted nearly as frequently as has the IBWO over the last sixty years. The ease with which skeptics reject those sightings as the product of confusion with the PIWO actually cuts both ways; it provides a pretty good basis for explaining how the IBWO might have survived "under the radar."

John Mariani said:
You asked a question in the middle there, so I'll attempt to answer it.

For small numbers of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers to have survived unconfirmed since the 1940s (in Louisiana) or even longer in other southern states (decades longer in some cases) would require the existence of breeding populations. This means multiple pairs. It is rather unlikely that populations (plural if we believe all the credible observers) of multiple pairs would go undiscovered for so long - by discovery meaning someone would notice the giant woodpeckers flying around and a nest or nests would be located.

To explain how these large birds have managed to stay under the radar for so long we have to believe that they are extremely wary of man and inhabit only wilderness areas where birders don't go. We are told that birders don't see them because to get close enough to see one requires extreme stealth, camo clothing, etc. The reason I find this extremely unlikely is that it would mean that Ivory-billed Woodpeckers are totally unlike any other woodpecker (or any other bird really) in behavior. There is no species that I need to wear camo to see. If a tree is good to feed in it wouldn't matter whether it is in pristine forest or on the edge of a road - that isn't something birds care much about. If there are IBWOs out there we should be seeing them along roads, powerline cuts, etc. And there is no reason to believe that they would be any more wary than a Pileated Woodpecker or any other Campephilus. Historically IBWOs were not so wary that they couldn't be hunted successfully. The argument that this made the survivors super-wary simply doesn't make sense, since hunting pressure has lessened and couldn't be any greater on IBWOs than on Pileated and other woodpeckers that we can readily observe. People who knew the Ivory-billed wrote that they called frequently...it has been suggested that they have become quiter these days to conceal their presence. Again, not very likely. The claimed difficulty of finding IBWOs depends on their being much more shy and furtive than other birds...even rails!. Real birds don't ALWAYS fly away before they can be studied and aren't always on the wrong side of the tree - and that includes other large woodpeckers.

About being adaptable...Ivory-billed Woodpecker was not. Within historic times it was never very common, and disappeared rapidly wherever man reduced its mature forest habitat. Last CONFIRMED US population of Ivory-bills vanished circa 1944. Last CONFIRMED sighting of Imperial Woodpecker (a very closely related species) was in the mid-1950s. Last CONFIRMED sightings of Cuban Ivory-bills was in the late 1980s. All these populations vanished within a historically short span of time. They could not adapt.

Last edited:
MMinNY said:
A lot of this is repetition, but here goes.

As I've stated elsewhere, I think the question of how a large enough breeding population or populations could have survived undetected for so long is the strongest argument for extinction, but I don't think it's by any means an overwhelming one. There's some thought-provoking theorizing going on about this over at ibwo.net.

You're playing a bit fast and loose with the facts in some of your other statements, however. I've never been a big fan of the super-stealthy hypothesis, and the truth is that some post-1940s sightings, including a recent report from Arkansas, have come from vehicles. That particular sighting was ridiculed here for that very reason. Your flat statement that the IBWO was/is not adaptable is unproven, and even though Tanner may have said so, it is unsupported by what we do know about the species. Habitat in South Florida is quite different from habitat in Arkansas or, for that matter, in Ohio or Kentucky, where archaelogical and historical evidence, respectively, indicates IBWOs were, at the very least, visitors. This expansive range, in terms of both habitat and climate, is strong evidence that the IBWO was/is more adaptable than Tanner and others have suggested.

As for the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" canard, invoked again by another poster, it was fatuous when Carl Sagan said it about ETs, and it's even more fatuous when it's used by certain skeptics as a cudgel. Here's why. On the evidence side of the statement: evidence, by its very nature, is ordinary -- it may be circumstantial; it may be physical; it may be eyewitness, etc., but it's all the product of human efforts at collecting it, and it's all utterly commonplace, whatever the discipline. The term "extraordinary evidence" is exceedingly vague and subject to endless recalibration. I haven't gone back and reviewed the original statement, and it may be that Sagan had something specific in mind; perhaps he meant an "extraodinary quantity of evidence," or perhaps he meant an actual alien spacecraft. Whatever he meant, this was essentially a glib soundbyte, not the expression of a clear, scientific standard of proof.

Regarding the "extraordinary claims" side of the equation, I agree that claims the Earth is being visited by alien spacecraft (as opposed to the claim that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe) and that giant, hominid bipeds are roaming North America are extraordinary, when there's nothing in the fossil record to support the latter claim and no physical evidence to support the former one. Conversely, the survival and rediscovery of species presumed extinct (sometimes for millions of years) is in fact rather commonplace, sometimes even in highly populated areas. Are most of these species as big and dramatic looking as the IBWO, no, but I venture to say that most of those species have not been sighted nearly as frequently as has the IBWO over the last sixty years. The ease with which skeptics reject those sightings as the product of confusion with the PIWO actually cuts both ways; it provides a pretty good basis for explaining how the IBWO might have survived "under the radar."

Well stated MminNy. The fact of the matter is its just a bird. Its simply not all that much of a stretch to think that its gone this long without being photographed or filmed. To passionate birders and ornithologists the possibility that the Ivorybill flies is incredible, in the grand scheme of things though its really not a huge deal... species do get rediscovered regularly.... and newly discovered for that matter. Comparing this to the existance of alien spacecraft visiting Earth or to bigfoot is just plain silly and gives a pretty clear picture of the comparers mentality and ability to reason (or lack thereof). It really isn't that staggering... its just the potential rediscovery of a recently "extinct" species in vast wilderness habitat...try to keep it in perspective.

Russ

Bonsaibirder said:
It would be interesting to see your list of 20 credible people who have seen IBWO recently. The word "credible" is entirely a matter of opinion which of course is the crux of just about everything that we have been discussing on this forum .

Bollocks. We could go on all day about whether one witness is more credible than another but that would be completely ridiculous. In neither case to which I'm referring are we dealing with the non-birding general public. The same standard has to be applied to all sightings, Cuba, Florida, etc. You cannot have it both ways!

Tuna Slushie said:
Bollocks.
Now you're talking my language;) SO, you don't think credibility is a matter of opinion?

Tuna Slushie said:
Somewhere between 15 and 20 people have had credible sightings, many of those highly experienced birders, and include very good views.
So, did you mean what you said or not? If so, how about listing those 20 people who have had "credible" sightings?

Bonsaibirder said:
Now you're talking my language;) SO, you don't think credibility is a matter of opinion?

So, did you mean what you said or not? If so, how about listing those 20 people who have had "credible" sightings?

Credible matters not to anyone who has actually seen the bird, and it certainly matters not to the bird in question. Bill

Bonsaibirder said:
It would be interesting to see your list of 20 credible people who have seen IBWO recently. The word "credible" is entirely a matter of opinion which of course is the crux of just about everything that we have been discussing on this forum .

A "credible" observation is one which includes an unequivocal description of field marks distinctive to Ivory-billed Woodpecker from an observer who is familiar with what is and is not a Pileated Woodpecker. With such an observation, there is good reason to think that the observer really did see (and in some cases also hear) an Ivory-bill. Not all credible observations have been made by highly experienced birders, but thankfully neither the Ivory-bill nor its field marks are subtle, so it is not necessary to be an experienced birder to notice and describe one. Following is an incomplete list of credible observers. Some have a problem with a few of these, but to suggest every single one is delusional says more about the accuser than the accused.

David Kulivan, Gene Sparling, Tim Gallagher, Bobby Harrison, Jim Fitzpatrick, Melinda LaBranche, Melanie Driscoll, Casey Taylor, Mike Collins, Geoff Hill, Tyler Hicks, Brian Rolek, Bob Anderson, TRE329, Jesse Gilsdorf, choupique

Tuna Slushie said:
Those "CONFIRMED" 1980's Cuba sightings resulted in no photograph. Why exactly were those "CONFIRMED" when, in your opinion, the sightings by the Auburn team have not been? You can't pick and choose bud!

There has never been even one photo of a living Imperial. Not one. Maybe they really died out 200 years ago!

I knew someone would object to last "confirmed" occurrences for all three. My point was that all 3 species/populations went extinct within a short historical period, disappearing very rapidly once their habitat was altered. I think there is consensus that some survived into the late 1980s in Cuba, but if it was the 1940s it's the same point, or even more so.

emupilot said:
Some have a problem with a few of these, but to suggest every single one is delusional says more about the accuser than the accused.

David Kulivan, Gene Sparling, Tim Gallagher, Bobby Harrison, Jim Fitzpatrick, Melinda LaBranche, Melanie Driscoll, Casey Taylor, Mike Collins, Geoff Hill, Tyler Hicks, Brian Rolek, Bob Anderson, TRE329, Jesse Gilsdorf, choupique

Credible observations (which you have described) and credible observers (who, in your opinion, you have provided a list of) are two different things. Unfortunately the credibility of the observer impacts the perceived credibility of the observation. I'm not certain that anyone is suggesting that all of those you have named are delusional. A number of reasons have been suggested for the lack of credibility of several of those on your list. I'm not going to go over old ground (it's all up-thread from here if you want to read it).

Bonsaibirder hit the nail right on the head when he said that credible is a matter of opinion and is the crux of just about everything discussed on here.

Kulivan is IMO, amongst the most credible on your list. choupique1 as well, at least until he admitted to only claiming to have seen birds in Florida because he thought Hill et al had better evidence. I know that a number of sceptics are also intrigued by TRE329's field notes (even if they appear to not be contemporaneous). As far as I'm aware none of these three is a birder, yet that doesn't greatly affect their credibility (at least not among my rather sceptical group of birding friends). If the IBWO still lives, and that is a big if, then I suspect that firm evidence will eventually come from those involved in the search who understand the outdoors, but who aren't birders.

cheers
martin

martin kitching said:
Credible observations (which you have described) and credible observers (who, in your opinion, you have provided a list of) are two different things. Unfortunately the credibility of the observer impacts the perceived credibility of the observation. I'm not certain that anyone is suggesting that all of those you have named are delusional. A number of reasons have been suggested for the lack of credibility of several of those on your list. I'm not going to go over old ground (it's all up-thread from here if you want to read it).

John Mariani did imply that all Ivory-bill observers were delusional, but I understand that he does not speak for all skeptics.

martin kitching said:
Bonsaibirder hit the nail right on the head when he said that credible is a matter of opinion and is the crux of just about everything discussed on here.

Of course it's a matter of opinion. My problem is with people who make blanket dismissals, assert extinction, etc. because it attacks the reputation of searchers and says specifically that we should ignore reports, even from experienced birders and/or reporting multiple distinctive field marks characteristic of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

martin kitching said:
Kulivan is IMO, amongst the most credible on your list. choupique1 as well, at least until he admitted to only claiming to have seen birds in Florida because he thought Hill et al had better evidence. I know that a number of sceptics are also intrigued by TRE329's field notes (even if they appear to not be contemporaneous). As far as I'm aware none of these three is a birder, yet that doesn't greatly affect their credibility (at least not among my rather sceptical group of birding friends). If the IBWO still lives, and that is a big if, then I suspect that firm evidence will eventually come from those involved in the search who understand the outdoors, but who aren't birders.

cheers
martin

From all the Ivory-bill reports, it is clear that they leave when confronted by people. To my knowledge, the only people getting extended looks at them were hunters sitting quietly and camouflaged at the base of a tree. The only problem is that it takes alot of luck to have the Ivory-bills find you as was the case with Kulivan and TRE's first sighting. Maybe the automated cameras will get a photo.

emupilot said:
A "credible" observation is one which includes an unequivocal description of field marks distinctive to Ivory-billed Woodpecker from an observer who is familiar with what is and is not a Pileated Woodpecker. With such an observation, there is good reason to think that the observer really did see (and in some cases also hear) an Ivory-bill. Not all credible observations have been made by highly experienced birders, but thankfully neither the Ivory-bill nor its field marks are subtle, so it is not necessary to be an experienced birder to notice and describe one. Following is an incomplete list of credible observers. Some have a problem with a few of these, but to suggest every single one is delusional says more about the accuser than the accused.

Many of those people you list had fleeting glimpses of birds in flight, where a mistake is a CREDIBLE possibility. You graciously acknowledge that some people "have a problem" with some of the names you listed (I don't see one name there associated with a sighting that can't be questioned). A credible photographer in south Florida recently photographed what he claimed to be Ivory-billed Woodpecker. It was of course a nice photo of a Pileated. We live in a world where someone can leisurely study a photo of a Pileated and still think they are seeing an IBWO. You use the straw man argument of saying that these people either saw what they say they saw or they are delusional. I don't call the Florida photographer delusional - I guess you do? The photo that Arkie produced a while ago - clearly Pileated. Are you calling him delusional? I say it was a common mistake. Maybe some of the other people on your list who don't have photos of their IBWOs also made mistakes...why is that too far-fetched?

Whether the distinctions are obvious or subtle, people can make mistakes. Some of the people on your list are constantly identified as kayakers, turkey hunters, etc., but not as birders. When you write that "Not all credible observations have been made by highly experienced birders" that is a big understatement. From your list and comments it doesn't seem like field experience matters much to you, although it could make a world of difference when it comes to avoiding error. Among your credible observers is one who a while back asked for help in identifying a common easily identified bird. On your list I see only one or two people that reputation as experienced birders with a lot of field experience (and ornithologist doesn't always = highly experienced birder).

Bonsaibirder said:

Of course it is. That's precisely the problem.

Bonsaibirder said:

I mean everything I say, but I didn't say that second quote you attributed to me. Are you mistaken or did you just make it up?

emupilot said:
Knock it off. Somewhere between 15 and 20 people have had credible sightings, many of those highly experienced birders, and include very good views. Searchers don't need you sitting behind your computer and telling them they are delusional for seeing what they saw.

Which of the 15-20 were highly experienced birders? How many had of the highly experienced birders had very good views? I'll furnish one name. Tyler Hicks. Who are the rest?

John Mariani said:
Many of those people you list had fleeting glimpses of birds in flight, where a mistake is a CREDIBLE possibility. You graciously acknowledge that some people "have a problem" with some of the names you listed (I don't see one name there associated with a sighting that can't be questioned). A credible photographer in south Florida recently photographed what he claimed to be Ivory-billed Woodpecker. It was of course a nice photo of a Pileated. We live in a world where someone can leisurely study a photo of a Pileated and still think they are seeing an IBWO. You use the straw man argument of saying that these people either saw what they say they saw or they are delusional. I don't call the Florida photographer delusional - I guess you do? The photo that Arkie produced a while ago - clearly Pileated. Are you calling him delusional? I say it was a common mistake. Maybe some of the other people on your list who don't have photos of their IBWOs also made mistakes...why is that too far-fetched?

Whether the distinctions are obvious or subtle, people can make mistakes. Some of the people on your list are constantly identified as kayakers, turkey hunters, etc., but not as birders. When you write that "Not all credible observations have been made by highly experienced birders" that is a big understatement. From your list and comments it doesn't seem like field experience matters much to you, although it could make a world of difference when it comes to avoiding error. Among your credible observers is one who a while back asked for help in identifying a common easily identified bird. On your list I see only one or two people that reputation as experienced birders with a lot of field experience (and ornithologist doesn't always = highly experienced birder).

OK, so every one of the people he listed is either delusional, mistaken or an outright liar. That's what it comes down to. Give me a break.

Tuna Slushie said:
OK, so every one of the people he listed is either delusional, mistaken or an outright liar. That's what it comes down to. Give me a break.

Delusional is what you suggested. I think some people are biased to see something a certain way, which could result in errors. I don't know why you would persist in the straw man argument that either they really all saw IBWOs or they are delusional or liars.

Why couldn't they all be mistaken? The last two people I know of who produced hard photographic evidence were mistaken. How do you know any and all of the names mentioned were not also mistaken?

John Mariani said:
Delusional is what you suggested. I think some people are biased to see something a certain way, which could result in errors. I don't know why you would persist in the straw man argument that either they really all saw IBWOs or they are delusional or liars.

Why couldn't they all be mistaken? The last two people I know of who produced hard photographic evidence were mistaken. How do you know any and all of the names mentioned were not also mistaken?

Yeah, they all could be. But the odds that that's the case don't seem to be very good. How many Tyler Hicks and Geoff Hills would it take for you to believe that at least one of them really did see one? 50? 100? 1,000,000?

Check out Auburn's update page now and then. Today I read the following:

"On March 6, Dr. Ken Able, professor emeritus at SUNY Albany, visited a part of the Choctawhatchee outside of our formal search area. An expert on southern birds, Dr. Able heard kent calls and was "convinced that they were made by an ivory-bill".

I guess he was mistaken too. But don't take my word for it. Go down there to assess everything for yourself for at least a week or two and maybe then you can sit there making your iron-clad proclamations.

emupilot said:
John Mariani did imply that all Ivory-bill observers were delusional, but I understand that he does not speak for all skeptics.

Those were just lyrics from a song that another post brought to mind, please don't read too much into that. Personally I didn't interpret it the same way you have. I don't think anyone is delusional (well, with one possible exception).

You are right, I don't speak for all skeptics.

Tuna Slushie said:
Yeah, they all could be. But the odds that that's the case don't seem to be very good. How many Tyler Hicks and Geoff Hills would it take for you to believe that at least one of them really did see one? 50? 100? 1,000,000?

Check out Auburn's update page now and then. Today I read the following:

"On March 6, Dr. Ken Able, professor emeritus at SUNY Albany, visited a part of the Choctawhatchee outside of our formal search area. An expert on southern birds, Dr. Able heard kent calls and was "convinced that they were made by an ivory-bill".

I guess he was mistaken too. But don't take my word for it. Go down there to assess everything for yourself for at least a week or two and maybe then you can sit there making your iron-clad proclamations.

If someone could go back after a sighting and refind the bird that would help. Neither Hicks or Hill claim to have seen an IBWO for more than a brief glimpse. That raises the possibility of error. About the sound detections, unless he saw what made the sounds I wonder why he should be convinced.

Why would spending MORE time in a southern swamp change my mind? Do you think I would see an IBWO or being around enough believers would convince me?

John Mariani said:
Those were just lyrics from a song that another post brought to mind, please don't read too much into that. Personally I didn't interpret it the same way you have. I don't think anyone is delusional (well, with one possible exception).

I don't know John, ever hear of Munchausen Syndrome by IBWO?

John Mariani said:

If people aren't aware of the difference between a Pileated and an Ivory-bill, then obviously their sighting won't be considered credible. There are alot of these, but bring it up is a straw man, because it has nothing to do with the observers I mentioned. BTW, Arkie is a special case, as the photograph is not (or at least not necessarily) of the bird he described.

John Mariani said:

Hunters have alot of field experience, actually, as they need to identify ducks before they shoot them. They also spend lots of time in the field quietly observing the wildlife around them.

John Mariani said:
Which of the 15-20 were highly experienced birders? How many had of the highly experienced birders had very good views? I'll furnish one name. Tyler Hicks. Who are the rest?

I'm getting a serious case of deja vu with this discussion, but it's probably easier to do it over than look it up. Most of them are birders, the Cornell team and Hicks being probably the most experienced. Cornell hasn't shown us field notes, but their 7 sightings page describes observations by LaBranche, Driscoll, and Taylor (at least) with more than one distinctive field mark of Ivory-bill. Hicks has had three sightings with multiple field marks.

John Mariani said:

All it takes is one sighting being real to collapse the extinction theory. Again disregarding your strawman of people who don't know what is and is not a Pileated, what do you think the chances are that a highly experienced birder could follow both double-knocks and "kents", find a bird with all the field marks of an Ivory-bill, and yet be mistaken about its identity? How about seeing the distinctive underwing pattern of white leading edge, black line expanding outward, and white trailing edge (Gallagher & Harrison IIRC, Hicks, Rolek, TRE at least)?

John Mariani said:

Apparently you put a poem about seeing things that aren't there because they're gone in the wrong thread by accident, then! ;-) Of course, we all know how that extinction of the buffalo turned out...

John Mariani said:
If someone could go back after a sighting and refind the bird that would help.

Like Gallagher and Harrison did after Sparling saw one? Funny how TRE, Mike Collins, Cornell's group, and the Auburn group found birds in the same area as their original sighting...

John Mariani said:
Neither Hicks or Hill claim to have seen an IBWO for more than a brief glimpse. That raises the possibility of error. About the sound detections, unless he saw what made the sounds I wonder why he should be convinced.

Several seconds is hardly a "brief glimpse". You'd have to be a really bad birder to make an "error" about seeing a perched bird at eye level and close range with all the field marks of an Ivory-bill, and there is no indication that Hicks is anything but an excellent birder.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back