• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel id help, South India (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi,

I would really appreciate an opinion on the id of this kestrel that I saw today in South India. Common or Lesser?

A lesser kestrel was seen around where I saw this individual (LK is not very common around this region). I wanted to be very sure on if I saw that bird before ticking off a species (and I'm not imagining talons that are not dark etc.) My apologies about the poor image quality, but can experts here confirm?

Thanks a lot,
Ajay

Attachments

• kestrel.JPG
    kestrel.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 69
  • kestrel1.JPG
    kestrel1.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 69
Help with this individual, please? This one's eyeline make me think common but the long wings reaching near the tail tip make me wonder if it is a lesser.

Thanks a lot,
Ajay

Attachments

• kestrel1.JPG
    kestrel1.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 24
Help with this individual, please? This one's eyeline make me think common but the long wings reaching near the tail tip make me wonder if it is a lesser.

Thanks a lot,
Ajay
This one also has black claws, so Common (Lesser has whitish claws) :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back