• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not sure. Moab, UT, USA (1 Viewer)

Katemail13

Southeastern Utah, USA
Hi, folks.

I keep seeing this guy around my yard. This morning he was bathing in the water from a dripper hose in a flower bed. I thought he was a Townsend's Solitaire, but on closer inspection, he has no white eye ring, and his wings seem wrong. Can anyone identify him? In one picture, you can see the bird better. In the other, you can see his tail shape.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 2018-04-06_NOID_1.jpg
    2018-04-06_NOID_1.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 2018-04-06_NOID_2.jpg
    2018-04-06_NOID_2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 71
Townsend's Solitaire for me, even without the distinctive eye ring. Bill shape and undertail pattern are quite characteristic (perhaps diagnostic), aren't they?

Townsend's Solitaire for me as well. Northern Mockingbird has completely white outer tail feathers, is much paler below, has a longer bill, and yellow eyes, and rarely perches upright.

Andy

You may be right about it being a solitaire rather than a mocker, but I have never seen a Townsend's Solitaire without an eye ring before.

Thanks for all the replies! These are the two things I thought it might be, too. The number one thing that said 'not a mocker' to me, is the dark eye. I have also never seen a solitaire without the white eye ring, but he's right for it in every other way. We'll call him a Solitaire. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back