• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portishead (Bristol, England) (1 Viewer)

Matthew2005-6

Come to Portishead!
Portishead is situated in sommerset and is home to many rare and common animals, birds in their hundreds. It is best in the summer but many animals can be seen in the winter too (rare birds become very very scarce). Animals range from common birds like the Pigeon, Crow, Raven, Magpie to kestrels, Herons and cormrants. Whilst out on a walk, spotting rare animals, i came across a stream to the east of Portishead marina. I sat and watched for nearly five hours and it finaly paid off, for about two seconds, a majestical bird caught my eye, the Kingfisher. The Kingfisher, brightly coloured in blue and orange, hot passed me and then darted away. For just two seconds, in a five hour waiting game, it really made my day. Then to top it off, the same day i saw a weasel which is also extreamly rare. Also, if you are just in love with nature and animals like i am, hundreds of rabbits graze. With woods and grass planes all around, i can also recommend taking a small tent with you and supplies for a night in the outdoors. This gives you the chance to travel further on foot.

All the animals i have mentioned i have seen, i am sure there is more to see and find. Keep looking people! And don't forget, keep the birds happy this winter, feed them and give them water.
:t:

I got stuck in Portishead for about five hours when I was trying to hitch home a few years ago, didn't see the kingfisher though. Weasels are terrific aren't they, so quick they almost fly.
Found this poem yesterday.....

When anybody asks me to sing
I don't know where to begin,
Is it God save the Weasel
or Pop goes the King?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back