• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got sketches? (1 Viewer)

CrimsonTopaz

Aves, The Stars, And Beyond...
Hi guys ive been looking in the forum for some time now and have noticed that a lot of you have drawn some wonderful Pencil sketches.
What my aim was to do (with this thread if it hit's off with you guys) was to create a seperate 'Area' for all our rough or finished sketches.
This tread will also be a place to show some of my 'other artwork' that would never make it into the gallery and to talk about future projects.
I hope you will all join in and heres some of my sketches to start things off:t:

Attachments

• Osprey.jpg
    Osprey.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Kes.jpg
    Kes.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Pied,white waggy.jpg
    Pied,white waggy.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 235
Hi guys ive been looking in the forum for some time now and have noticed that a lot of you have drawn some wonderful Pencil sketches.
What my aim was to do (with this thread if it hit's off with you guys) was to create a seperate 'Area' for all our rough or finished sketches.
This tread will also be a place to show some of my 'other artwork' that would never make it into the gallery and to talk about future projects.
I hope you will all join in and heres some of my sketches to start things off:t:
I Really like your sketches, in particular the osprey---the feet! I really struggle with feet and I usually try to hide them .

I Really like your sketches, in particular the osprey---the feet! I really struggle with feet and I usually try to hide them .
Yes, I noticed that too. There was a 'foot-fetish' thread on here a little while back - it ought to be resurrected (I for one, consistantly fail to get them right).
Lovely drawings Sam.

Hi Sam, good to have you join us in the best bit of BF. Post away, it's great to see more and more work by different artists appearing on these threads.

Mike

Yes, I noticed that too. There was a 'foot-fetish' thread on here a little while back - it ought to be resurrected (I for one, consistantly fail to get them right).
Lovely drawings Sam.

Hi Sam nice to see you posting here.looking forward to seeing a lot more.

Hi Sam, good to have you join us in the best bit of BF. Post away, it's great to see more and more work by different artists appearing on these threads.

Mike
Thanks guys, im glad you like my sketches, ive got a near endless amount of them;)
As for the feet, im not to bad at feet. I like bird of prey feet (like the osprey) because thier feet are so large and detailed (that's not part of the fetish is it?)
If it's one thing i hate drawing on a bird and i ALWAYS have trouble with them, is beaks!
I am trying to draw a great tit as a request at the minuet and the beak is really annoying me:C
I dont know how many times i have sketched the damn thing only to look at it and five seconds later rub it out|:S|
Any tips, they would be greatly appreciated:t:

Head, anyone?

Sam - here's something I've been working on (it'll possibly ring a bell with some of the guys). I aim to approach passerines, in time, so it may be the turn of the great tit fairly shortly. Perhaps it will be of some small help.
Edit - looking at some of the handwritten notes, you may need to drag the images into Photoshop to read what it says. If you can't read it, let me know and I'll do a transcript.

Attachments

• gullskul.jpg
    gullskul.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 191
  • GullHead.jpg
    GullHead.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 209
  • gullBil.jpg
    gullBil.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 186
  • GulBil2.jpg
    GulBil2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 169
Great Tit - Construction of a portrait

Hi Sam.
I have been meaning to make this group of constructions, so in many ways I ought to thank you for focusing my attention.
With regard to portraiture, I am of the opinion that a basic understanding of anatomy goes a long way to solving many of the problems such as bill shape, expression and form.
As with the Great Black Back head studies I have started with a fairly accurate study of a great tit's skull, with particular attention being paid to the visible bits (in life) - ie the bill, gape line and location of the eye. These elements are intrinsically linked and, probably, have a unique relationship per species (although closely related species would blur the distinction). Additionally, it is the relationship between these three elements - bill, eye and gape - which help to create that 'personality' and character of the distinct species. And, although such things as foreshortening and perspective, lighting and motion can and will effect the way this relationship is perceived, they still remain locked together.
I then traced the drawing of the GT's skull and added the soft bits' outlines (the feathers, eyeball and membranes) in three different postures - 'fluffed-up', aggressive and relaxed. Species such as the Great Tit offer excellent opportunities to construct the expression through the plumage pattern - especially around the face and head.
Having drawn the basic feather patterns and shapes I then simply scribbled in a surface pattern of feathers.
With regard to your 'bill problem' - the GT has, essentially, a conical bill and can be simplified as such - detail of colour and lighting added later, bringing it to life.

Attachments

• GTSkul800.jpg
    GTSkul800.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 183
  • GTHead1800.jpg
    GTHead1800.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 188
  • GTHead2800.jpg
    GTHead2800.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 171
  • GTHead3800.jpg
    GTHead3800.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 182
Feather pattern and tone is added to the basic construction. . .
See how the structure remains exactly the same whilst the character and expression of the bird is suggested by the way the feathers are held - raised crown: aggitated etc.

Attachments

• GTHeadTone1800.jpg
    GTHeadTone1800.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 171
  • GTHeadTone2800.jpg
    GTHeadTone2800.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 187
  • GTHeadTone300.jpg
    GTHeadTone300.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
On-line drawing class!

Tim ,
Thank you so much for posting this.
It's like having on on line drawing class. It in incredibly helpful for me. I've never felt like i could successfully sketch from life.Because everything changes so quickly.Even at the bird feeder , they in a different postition before I can even get started.
I've always depended on copying a photo(sometimes even with permission).
I Have Busby'ds drawing birds, and many of Tunnicliffe's. Can we see more?

Thanks Tim, heres a preview

Hi Sam.
I have been meaning to make this group of constructions, so in many ways I ought to thank you for focusing my attention.
With regard to portraiture, I am of the opinion that a basic understanding of anatomy goes a long way to solving many of the problems such as bill shape, expression and form.
As with the Great Black Back head studies I have started with a fairly accurate study of a great tit's skull, with particular attention being paid to the visible bits (in life) - ie the bill, gape line and location of the eye. These elements are intrinsically linked and, probably, have a unique relationship per species (although closely related species would blur the distinction). Additionally, it is the relationship between these three elements - bill, eye and gape - which help to create that 'personality' and character of the distinct species. And, although such things as foreshortening and perspective, lighting and motion can and will effect the way this relationship is perceived, they still remain locked together.
I then traced the drawing of the GT's skull and added the soft bits' outlines (the feathers, eyeball and membranes) in three different postures - 'fluffed-up', aggressive and relaxed. Species such as the Great Tit offer excellent opportunities to construct the expression through the plumage pattern - especially around the face and head.
Having drawn the basic feather patterns and shapes I then simply scribbled in a surface pattern of feathers.
With regard to your 'bill problem' - the GT has, essentially, a conical bill and can be simplified as such - detail of colour and lighting added later, bringing it to life.

Thank you so much Tim, you are a fountain of infomation:t:
and I can read your notes perfectly.
Our techniques are not all that different, i to draw the head then locate the eye and then draw the beak in line with the eye.
(this is why i draw Hummingbirds, beacause thier beaks are long and thin and are very symmetrical)
Your examples of the Great Tit are excellent and as Birdman say's they are a masterclass:t:
Tell me what you think, this is just the 'skeleton' and im not sure if it will look ok with colour.
And if you have anymore sketches for Birdman just post them here, thanks:t::t::t:

Attachments

• great tit.jpg
    great tit.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 198
More unseen stuff

I drew the Swift especially for my Partner, they are his favourite birds and he's happy they are in this country at last!
The Firecrests are an old colour picture like the Flycatchers and Wheatears i posted in the gallery.
More stuff to come....:t:

Attachments

• Firecrests.jpg
    Firecrests.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Swift.jpg
    Swift.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 161
Hummingbird Photo

[/ATTACH]
Hi Sam ,
I know this is not on the topic, but
I thought I would show these pictures to you. She was brought to me last week with a broken wrist.
She was very strong , and ate, and ate, and ate. No use of her right side though. I took her to a great re-hab in Maine. They have a hummingbird room whre they free fly in preparation for release. She probably wont make it because her tiny wrist was so damages, but I tried anyway. I thought you'd find their SWIFT house interesting too. They have a wooden ''Chimney '' right in the middle of it for their night perching. Their site is avianhaven.org

Lenny

Attachments

• DSCN0560.JPG
    DSCN0560.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 150
Sam - the GT is looking absolutely splendid. Just needs the distinctive patterning and it's bound to be an absolute winner - please let's all have a look when it's finished.
Smashing info Lenny - hope the little thing survives, but at least you did your best .

A kind man

[/ATTACH]
Hi Sam ,
I know this is not on the topic, but
I thought I would show these pictures to you. She was brought to me last week with a broken wrist.
She was very strong , and ate, and ate, and ate. No use of her right side though. I took her to a great re-hab in Maine. They have a hummingbird room whre they free fly in preparation for release. She probably wont make it because her tiny wrist was so damages, but I tried anyway. I thought you'd find their SWIFT house interesting too. They have a wooden ''Chimney '' right in the middle of it for their night perching. Their site is avianhaven.org

Lenny
Wow lenny you are a genuine human being for helping, i applaude you :clap:
The poor little thing looks lost|=(| I hope the re-hab centre can do something for her. What will happen to her if she cannot fly properly?
Do you know what happened to her wing?
It would be really great if you could update us on her progress (you can use this thread if you like, your very welcome to) do you know what species she is? The Swift house sounds great to, just right for a good nights rest;)

Thanks for the comments (and the help) Tim i will keep you updated with its progress and rest assured you guys will get the first look |;|
Thanks everyone:t:

Tim - ever thought of making a "Drawing Birds by Tim Wootton"? Those are fantastic! I think I need to get to the animal museum and do some sceleton scetching there, I think they have at least a crow and a swan. And some owl maybe...

Sam - love your style! I've been a fan of strong use of lines for a while now (ever since seeing Eric Ennions work), and you're using it very succesfully! The ospray is stunning!

Sam - love your style! I've been a fan of strong use of lines for a while now (ever since seeing Eric Ennions work), and you're using it very succesfully! The ospray is stunning!

Thanks Elis, i like to use the strong lines because i think it makes the subject stand out more and you can still get the amount of shading right to (for example on the thight of the bird)

Hi Sam ,
This hummingbird with broken wrist will probably be euthenized (i cant spell it) they'll give her a couple of weeks but if she's got no wheels on the right side she's doomed. I'm volunteering at this re-hab on fridays. They have osprey eggs due to hatch soon, an american woodcock chick, a yllow bellid sapsucker, 3 bald eagles,, on and on.
As far as the species goes she's ruby throated. Around these parts its east, we only get one species , so if you see a hummer in Maine it's a ruby throated.
I MUst show you the pictures taken only a few minutes ago thru my window here at my desk[ this si ,of course the male.ATTACH]141532[/ATTACH]

DSCN1514-2.JPG

DSCN1508.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1515.JPG
    DSCN1515.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 144
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back