• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm gonna buy some 8X binoculars….. (1 Viewer)

The Nikon 8x32 HG L (LX L in the USA) has been renamed "Premier" since the EDG was introduced. A new one costs more than $1000.00 in the USA.

Bob

chill6x6.... I've got Conquest HD 10x42 & 8x32, Swaro CL Pocket 10x25 & 8x25. Of them all, the Conquest HD 8x32 is definitely a sweet spot, indeed. I think you will love them. My only complaint is that the eyecup operation is stiff and cheesy feeling, but then, I leave the eyecups extended all the time, so I don't need to feel how they operate. I love the bins. Just wish Zeiss had given proper engineering to the rotation of the eyecups. If you need to extend and retract the eyecups regularly, you may not like them. If you can leave the eyecups in or out most of the time, you probably will be very happy.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking forward to getting the Conquest HD's in my hands!

I heard good things about Leupold.
Consider buying a 8x32 Leica Trinovid.
Another firm favourite would be the Nikon HG-L in 8x32. If you shop around carefully, you can fit 2 high-end binoculars in your budget, but maybe you will have to look for a second hand (e.g. the Leica).

I'll probably add one other 8X32 at some point. Have thought about the Nikon Premier 8X32… Right now leaning toward a Meopta 8X32 and Kahles 8X32. The optics dealer I purchased from stated that he looks at binoculars all day, every day. His opinion was that OPTICALLY Zeiss Conquest 8X32>Kahles 8X32>Meopta 8X32 …whatever that means.

chill6x6.... I've got Conquest HD 10x42 & 8x32, Swaro CL Pocket 10x25 & 8x25. Of them all, the Conquest HD 8x32 is definitely a sweet spot, indeed. I think you will love them. My only complaint is that the eyecup operation is stiff and cheesy feeling, but then, I leave the eyecups extended all the time, so I don't need to feel how they operate. I love the bins. Just wish Zeiss had given proper engineering to the rotation of the eyecups. If you need to extend and retract the eyecups regularly, you may not like them. If you can leave the eyecups in or out most of the time, you probably will be very happy.

Hi again,

I tried Conquest HD 10x42 a while ago. While the eye relief isn't completely as long as with 8x42 it felt adequate with my new eyeglasses who let me come 1,5-2mm closer the ocular lens than the old eyeglasses. My guess is that 8x32 and 10x42 eyepiece is very much the same, just different magnification? If 10x42 works good with eyeglasses also 8x32 should work as good?

I am very tempted to get either the new Swarovski 8x25 or Conquest HD 8x32. Or BOTH. This never stops, I am a binoholic... The problem is that it costs a LOT...

Last edited:
Hello Chill,

I have a Kahles 8x32. They generally cost about $900.00. I like mine. It has 16mm ER and about the same FOV as the Nikon 8x32 LX L and Swarovski 8x30 SLC which I also have. The focus wheel is relatively fast and exceptionally smooth and well damped but it focuses counter clock wise. It's exterior is quite rugged rubber and reminds me of the exterior of the Leica Trinovids. It also comes with optional winged eye cups. These are good for avoiding glare when the sun is behind you or off your shoulder. The rain guard works well with both the standard eye cups and the winged eye cups and also reminds me of the one that came with the Leica Trinovid.

The binoculars are made in Japan but that is not stated on the binoculars, in the literature or on the boxes which refer to Kahles being an Austrian company. And nothing in their literature or on their boxes says "Made In Austria."

Here is a review of them. I don't think the camoflage version is still made.

http://www.allbinos.com/181-binoculars_review-Kahles_8x32.html

Kahles binoculars are hard to find and they are only made sizes 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

Of them all, the Conquest HD 8x32 is definitely a sweet spot, indeed.

This is the long and short of it. You would have to spend a very great deal more to obtain just a fraction of a barely noticeable incease in performance over these, they are a very good quality binocular with a very nicely sharp and generous centre field, by far and away superior to the rather annoyingly soft centre of the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 (at least in my since departed sample).

My only complaint is that the eyecup operation is stiff

Fortunately the Zeiss Conquest HD eyecups can be unscrewed and completely removed and if necessary slick lubed to enable better handling :t:

Best wishes,

This is the long and short of it. You would have to spend a very great deal more to obtain just a fraction of a barely noticeable incease in performance over these, they are a very good quality binocular with a very nicely sharp and generous centre field, by far and away superior to the rather annoyingly soft centre of the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 (at least in my since departed sample).

I am very confused here. Another member of this forum claimed he had seen Conquest HDs with very different optical qualities. Can it really be possible? Can't we anymore trust a company like Zeiss? And what can we then trust?
I am very satisfied with my Conquest HD 8x42. Not at all soft centre in my eyes. Not really as sharp as Victory HT 8x42(what else to expect) but in my eyes sharper and better contrast than Swarovski SLC New 7x42. I just need to compare my 8x42 to an 8x32...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back