• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

El Cajas NP and surroudings, Ecuador, May 28, 2018 (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, I took these pictures on the way to, and inside El Cajas National Park in Ecuador (in the Andes Mountains) on May 28, 2018.

The first two pictures were taken on the way to the park, the rest were taken inside the park.

My thoughts are:

1. obviously a hummingbird with a long tail, but which species?
2. a flycatcher of some kind (man there are so many species!)?
3. no idea
4. Yellow-billed Pintail?
5. Great Thrush?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• hummingbird1.jpg
    hummingbird1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 27
  • flycatcher1.jpg
    flycatcher1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 25
  • duck1.jpg
    duck1.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 17
  • thrush1.jpg
    thrush1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 14
leaving only white-crested elaenia (bird 2)

Thanks!

I think you are right! I am attaching another shot of the flycatcher, although it still does not show the crest, it shows the crown which may be helpful.

Attachments

• flycatcher2.jpg
    flycatcher2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 11
I currently don't have any literature at hand, but isn't #2 a Sierran Elaenia rather than White-crested?

Maffong

Green-tailed Trainbearer. The upper three pairs of rets are extensively green, not just green tipped, the rets are emerald green without much blue tone, and, importantly, the bill is short and not curved.

White-crested Elaenia. Too pale beneath for Sierran and Sierran is not expected in that area, it should be restricted to the east slope of the Andes as I recall.

Chestnut-winged Cinclodes, YB Pintail, Great Thrush

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back