• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Point Pelee (1 Viewer)

SeanKP

Fledgling
It looks as though I'm going to be sent to Toronto for a week with work and I was thinking of trying to get a weekend at Point Pelee either before or afterwards. It looks as though it'll be either the beginning or the end of September. I can probably wangle it either way, so which would be the best time to go. Also, what is the best way to get to Point Pelee from Toronto and how long will it take? Finally, can anyone recommend accommodation near to Point Pelee?

Many thanks.

Sean

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=21995

Check this thread out there are lots of Toronto birders contact here they will be able to help. Unfortunatly I visited in June a couple of years ago so not a lot of migration but still some good birds.

There is a book called where to watch birds in Ontario which is good

If you are interested my trip report can be found on my website

http://www.hows.org.uk/inter/birds/birds.htm

click on the Canada 2003 link, there is information on lots of other places I visited in Ontario

Hope it is of some use

Mark

re: pelee

Hello,

The above links posted are a great help in getting you to Pelee. You should see some good birds in early September. keep an eye on the Pelee sight to keep updated on birds moving through. Keep in mind though, Pelee can be very hit-and-miss in September as fall migrants don't always go back south by pelee and strong northerly winds may push them right over the park. However, there should be a good number around that time. Don't forget to check some of the surrounding areas such as Hillman Marsh which will be good in September.

Good birding,

Jay

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I managed to get over to Toronto last week. I'd tried for early September as that seemed the better bet but a combination of ludicrous work commitments and a soggy passport (check all your pockets before putting clothes in the washing machine!) prevented that.

I managed two full Saturdays and two Sunday mornings in or around Point Pelee. The first weekend was fabulous with literally thousands of Blue Jays being harassed by the Sharp-shinned hawks. Other highlights were a juvenile bald eagle and a black-crowned night-heron. The only negative was being eaten alive by the numerous flies.

The second weekend was very much quieter for birds (and thankfully flies) although there were quite a few monarchs about and I managed to see a Sora from the marsh boardwalk.

On Jay's recommendation I checked out Hillman Marsh on the second weekend which was beautiful but also very quiet. I guess the conditions were just not right although it would be churlish to complain about the unseasonably fine weather.

Probably my favourite spot was around the Onion Fields. There was a Swainson's Hawk there which folk were coming from far and wide to see. It seemed to move on about half an hour before I turned up but I didn't mind dipping on it as just about every bird I was seeing was a lifer for me.

Whilst in Toronto I managed to get over to the Islands for a couple of hours which was great and I'd have loved to have spent longer there.

Anyway, thanks again.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back