• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

The gannet is very special, beautifull observed and such a quality of light on it, subject away! We're very willing victims!

Back to it

Back to the present day. having been working on the diver drawings and compositions it occured to me that at least one of the sketches would work as a small painting. I dropped a reddish ground onto some mdf and used a big brush. A pleasant diversion after the discipline of the large diver canvas.
Red-throated diver, acrylic on mdf, 14"x10".

Attachments

• diverOne8.jpg
    diverOne8.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 107
I can only echo what everyone else has said, Tim, about all these little sketches popping up as you clean. Sublime, wonderful, a real joy to look at.

I love this Diver. Loose brush strokes, very fresh.

bowing in your presence,
Beth

love the liquid fluidity of everything in this, the light, the shape of the bird, the water and the technique, it's like a mercurial morning.

Back to the present day. having been working on the diver drawings and compositions it occured to me that at least one of the sketches would work as a small painting. I dropped a reddish ground onto some mdf and used a big brush. A pleasant diversion after the discipline of the large diver canvas.
Red-throated diver, acrylic on mdf, 14"x10".

I love this and the previous little diver study. Interesting artefact on my computah- the eyes on this one look waaay darker in thumbnail than the gorgeous pools of red you get when you click on it.

Dux

I've had the sketchbook work for this painting for a couple of years now. About time they materialised into a painting. Acrylic on canvas - 20"x16".
There's another drake to go in -

Attachments

• L-td18.jpg
    L-td18.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 111
comp comp-lete

Here's where the last drake wants to be . . .
(Oooer, should never have gone for a lunchtime pint!)

Attachments

• L-tD28.jpg
    L-tD28.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 106
lunchtime pints are what makes lunchtimes worthwhile, you do realise you could call this one finished already, beautiful, but I imagine you'll add a bit more, just be gentle with it, it's so light and airy and it's long-tailed ducks which makes it even better!

A Lad's Life -Long-tailed Drakes

You're right, Nick - I could have left it, but in the flesh it was an extremely 'raw' piece of work (not particulalrly nice to look at). I wanted the interlocking contrasty shapes to be the main design, so Ii went a bit further with it - and I think it's a step forward.
I'll call it finished, now.
"A Lad's Life - Long-tailed Drakes" acrylic on canvas, 20"x16"
I'll put a link to the drawings when I get the computer back off eldest daughter, using it for homework!

Attachments

• L-tD38.jpg
    L-tD38.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Supporting information

Here's the reference material - the colour life-work is posted on the '2007 sketchbook' thread (I think).
The pencil drawings are comp sketches.
I've re-loaded the colour pic so they're all together.
Many thanks for the nice comments.

Attachments

• draw1.jpg
    draw1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 65
  • draw2.jpg
    draw2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Layout2.jpg
    Layout2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 65
  • L-tD38.jpg
    L-tD38.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back