• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coles Flaming Squirrel seed sauce? (4 Viewers)

Fraulein ash

Woodpecker stalker
In the bird section at my local hardware shop they have something called Coles Flaming Squirrel Seed Sauce. The idea is that you mix this stuff in with your seed to keep squirrels from raiding the feeders since squirrels apparently hate the hot flaming sauce and birds supposedly love it?

So I have a few questions about this stuff. Firstly, and most importantly... are we absolutely sure this stuff won't harm the birds? The back of the bottle actually says that this should increase the number of birds at your feeders, since they love it so much.

Secondly, how would I add this stuff to suet *blocks*? I really want to nail a suet feeder to a tree so that my Pileated friends can get something to eat, but the squirrels would devour it in a heartbeat if I tried this without the flaming sauce. They are too big to use suet feeders that don't have extra long tail props, so I figure the only way to entice him to my yard for more photo opportunities is to nail it to something he can prop his tail on (like a tree!). Any advice is greatly appreciated!:t:

Yes, it works, except for the occasional squirrel that turns into a curry junkie and gets to like it too. It is normal chilli powder, exactly the same as you put in hot food that you eat. The reason it works is that chillies evolved to attract birds as they are good seed dispersers, and at the same time discourage mammals, which are not good seed dispersers.

So go ahead and use it; just one caution, same as cooking with chillies - wash your hands carefully after handling it, and don't get any in your eyes!

Vaguely remember reading that squirrels will get used to the spicy taste and grow to prefer it.
Re potential harm to birds, the only reassurance is that birds don't have taste buds and so are not sensitive to the capsaicin which gives the peppers their kick. There are no high profile studies evaluating longer term effects.

A pole feeder stand with a decent 24" baffle is critter proof as long as they cannot jump on it from some adjacent tree branch or ledge. Then there is no need to experiment with spiced seed or suet.

Re potential harm to birds, the only reassurance is that birds don't have taste buds and so are not sensitive to the capsaicin which gives the peppers their kick. There are no high profile studies evaluating longer term effects.
Apart from the obvious one - that birds [various South American species; probably also some N American species that migrate there in winter] have been eating them for millions of years (and humans, for around 10,000 years) with no ill effects.

the squirrels dont really mess too much with my overall bird seed but when the cashews and peanuts break out they will come eat some. they also love the black oil sunflower, they are welcome to it .

Vaguely remember reading that squirrels will get used to the spicy taste and grow to prefer it.

A pole feeder stand with a decent 24" baffle is critter proof as long as they cannot jump on it from some adjacent tree branch or ledge. Then there is no need to experiment with spiced seed or suet.

Thanks for your reply. That's great to know that the birds don't have taste buds! Right now, I'm waiting on a special baffle that will fit my feeding station since it's not a rod iron one, so the normal baffles at the store won't work. Mine is a 4x4 wooden pole, so while I'm waiting on the baffle to arrive next week I got this stuff to keep the squirrels out of my pileated suet feeder. Still not sure how to mix it in with the suet.

the squirrels dont really mess too much with my overall bird seed but when the cashews and peanuts break out they will come eat some. they also love the black oil sunflower, they are welcome to it .

I do like squirrels, they're cute... but I had no idea they could be such a nuisance until I started trying to feed the birds! When I say there is an army of them, I mean it! There's probably a dozen alone that live in my roof (and I can't tell you how annoying that is to listen to every time I'm trying to sleep) plus another dozen or so that live on the property elsewhere, not to mention the ones that are in surrounding lots by my place. It's a pretty heavily wooded area. The problem is that there are so many squirrels that they DEVOUR everything I put out for my birds in a fraction of the time, and I simply cannot keep up. I even buy peanuts in bulk to try to entice them to stay off the feeders, but they are greedy and apparently really love suet, lol.

I do like squirrels, they're cute... but I had no idea they could be such a nuisance until I started trying to feed the birds! When I say there is an army of them, I mean it! There's probably a dozen alone that live in my roof (and I can't tell you how annoying that is to listen to every time I'm trying to sleep) plus another dozen or so that live on the property elsewhere, not to mention the ones that are in surrounding lots by my place. It's a pretty heavily wooded area. The problem is that there are so many squirrels that they DEVOUR everything I put out for my birds in a fraction of the time, and I simply cannot keep up. I even buy peanuts in bulk to try to entice them to stay off the feeders, but they are greedy and apparently really love suet, lol.

Actually, if they are living in your roof, you may have an issue beyond your beauty sleep. We had some while in Connecticut and it was a costly repair to roof shingles and soffit, although still better than a leaking roof. A call to the local Audubon or Pest Control might be appropriate.

Separately, Duncraft used to sell baffles for 4x4 posts iirc, they work OK.
As to the suet, even just dousing it with the pepper glop should work fine.
There is no immediate need to mix everything, hopefully the squirrels will get the message at first bite.

Squirrels are very cute, but once one lives with them for a while, one begins to appreciate the concept of Brunswick stew.

wow yeah hopefully u find something that works. i love ur picture that cute woodpecker

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back