• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frustrated in my search for the Red Headed Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Fraulein ash

Woodpecker stalker
Not sure if this is the correct section for this thread as I am still learning the ins-and-outs of this website/forum.

I have always wanted to see a Red Headed Woodpecker, but this is a seriously endangered species right now. They are supposedly in my area, according to the maps on the Cornell Lab site. The owner of a local pet store claims they are around and that people have seen them... but I think more often than not, people are confusing the Red Headed Woodpecker with the Red Bellied Woodpecker, which are WAY more common.

I have downloaded the Audubon app to help me ID birds in my area and to help me narrow down search areas for certain birds I would love to see. When I searched for the hotspots for Red Headed Woodpecker, there were no results. I also tried searching for local results of other birds, and it never mattered how common the bird was, there were never any sightings listed for ANY bird type in my area. Does this mean that I am the ONLY person in my entire area that uses the app?? Really?? I know there are tons of birders around me because they have birding supplies all over the place here since it's so popular.

Is there any other way to find birds you really want to see?? Maybe other apps or websites that aid in people's searches?? I know they have birding clubs and such to join in most areas, but there are none of those around me, sadly. Can anyone help?

FA,

Here is a link to an eBird map showing Red-headed Woodpecker observations in the last three years in your area:

https://ebird.org/map/rehwoo?bmo=1&....406&env.maxX=-73.683&env.maxY=42.823&gp=true

It does indeed appear that they are quite scarce in the vicinity of Albany, with no reports from Albany County this year, and no reports from the summer in the last three years. If you are keen to see one, it looks like traveling downstate a bit to the Poughkeepsie area might be a good bet. (Note that orange pin markers indicate sightings within the last 30 days). You can click on the pin markers to get more info about particular sightings.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I tried playing with that site one day recently and couldn't get it to work, but I guess I was in the wrong section. Today I tried again and it was much easier!

I say "Albany" area because my town is so small that I didn't think anyone would know where I was if I didn't name the closest large city, but I'm actually 45 min away from Albany in a county called Saratoga. The last sighting anywhere around me was late in 2016, so that doesn't sound too bad. It doesn't look like a lot of people in my area are using this site or these types of apps, so my guess is that there are a few around, I just have to look harder. :)

Thanks again! I am determined to see this beautiful thing, even if it means I have to travel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back