• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"cirtensis" Long-legged Buzzards breed in Spain (1 Viewer)

Thanks John. I'll be looking for them when I'm back in September.

When are you out there? I'll be out from late July until 14th September although for much of that time I'll be without a car. My wife returns on 7th September, but I'm staying on with a birding friend (plus car) until 14th. I should also be out again 23-26th September,

Last edited:
Hi John and others,
Both the paper in Quercus and BB are writen by the same authors (Antonio Roman Muñoz and me) and refer to the same breeding event. The paper in Quercus adds some info on the wintering of the species in the area as well. John, the 35 observation of 2008 belong to the study are that we describe in the paper. Yes there are many unprospected areas, remember that a big extent of the Strait of Gibraltar is covered by private lands which are not accesible even for researchers. We are monitoring the developement of this species in Spain and we will keep publishing any relevant findings on this interesting species for which there are still many aspects to clarify regarding identification and taxonomy. You can contact my in my personal email if you want any further information.
With best regards,

Javi Elorriaga
[email protected]

PD: John, we met each other some time ago. It was in La Janda, I was alone driving a white van with the Sticker "I brake for birds", you were there with several friends, and we talk about the lesser kestrels in Jimena.

Last edited:
It's on the coast near Manilva. Not too far away from the hot-spots at Tarifa, La Janda (normally visit them on the first full day, after looking in at Guadalhorce on the way from the airport the day before) and only about an hour and a bit from Trebujena marshes. We normally stay in or near Estepona when we're there. It gives my wife something to do when she takes the odd day off from the birding trips.

John, we met each other some time ago. It was in La Janda, I was alone driving a white van with the Sticker "I brake for birds", you were there with several friends, and we talk about the lesser kestrels in Jimena.

Hi Javi, of course I recall meeting you at La Janda - apologies for not recognising your name. Congratulations on publishing your note so quickly in 'BB' and in English too for us poor monoglots!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back