• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you do rectrices and coverts? (1 Viewer)

maitreya

What is this bird?

This time I'll try to let everyone respond before posting the correct answer.

Maitreya

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 186
Charles Harper said:
What's with the purple tips? Is this an Oregon bird?

My guess is that the purple tips are a prismatic effect (akin to hummingbird gorgets). It is an Oregon bird.

I see the purple tips as the strong sun shining through dark brown feathers...that said I can'd think of a single bird with under tail coverts like that apart from B&W warbler...and wouldn't that show white tail spots?

Mangrove Cuckoo? In Oregon? Hmm...

Whatever the case, can't remember Mangrove, Black-billed or Yellow-billed Cuckoo ever showing undertail coverts mottled in black and white. Not completely sure about juv. Black-billed though...

Last edited:
Looking at the photo again... Could be, that it isn't even undertail coverts, but actually still growing tail-feathers...?

Last edited:
It seems my hint has led you farther astray. I mean I would love to see a "Mangrove Cuckoo" in Oregon, but that is not happening anytime soon. I meant to convey that the mystery bird is closer in size to a Cuckoo than a Warbler. And just about the opposite of a Mangrove Cuckoo in terms of being rare in Oregon.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back