• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (2 Viewers)

Tawny owl for you too?!?! I didn't mean to come off as the owl police, just got excited that Dad might have finally seen it and forgotten to mention it!

Just looked at my all time garden list, and black billed cuckoo is also a heard only. I tracked it down and saw it, but not in or from the garden. Maybe this year!

I'm ok in the Tawny Owl department Jasper ....almost resident in the yard. :t:

Big mammals active on my land at the moment - the critter below probably not quite so impressed by their presence!

Attachments

• Roe Deer casualty lt 1.jpg
    Roe Deer casualty lt 1.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Roe Deer casualty lt 2.jpg
    Roe Deer casualty lt 2.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 22
Got any links ... ?

I think Lynx, reasons on my website HERE -scroll down to 28 April.

Will be setting out a cam on it tomorrow, though sadly I think it will be too late - the very fresh carcass was on Saturday morning, presuming killed early that morning. Probably all good meat eaten by now, or gone bad - last two days have been 25-27 C.

Very big bull Moose also wondering around at present too - plenty of bark scrapping and tracks.

Seriously, Jos!

I'm equally impressed by the Lynx as I am by the day list of butterflies.
That list and numbers represents an annual total of my butterfly sightings in England. Amazing. Absolutely amazing!! Five species so far for me this year. Total number: c.15.
Can't wait for that camera trap image! I wasn't aware that Lynx occurs in Lithuania.

Been too busy with work, very little time for garden birding. April additions:

39. Common Linnet
40. Meadow Pipit
41. Robin
42. Common Tern
43. Raven

Split:
In: 19
Flyover: 17
Heard only: 7

I'm equally impressed by the Lynx as I am by the day list of butterflies.
That list and numbers represents an annual total of my butterfly sightings in England. Amazing. Absolutely amazing!! Five species so far for me this year. Total number: c.15.
Can't wait for that camera trap image! I wasn't aware that Lynx occurs in Lithuania.

Butterflies in Lithuania truly amaze me, possible to get 50 species on a good day later in the season, but it the simple abundance of individuals that is the more impressive, can be clouds and clouds of them.

Update on the deer - it is completely gone. I am kicking myself, I should have returned the same day with the camera trap. When I found it, it was freshly dead (I think within hours), so it seems the culprit returned and has consumed more/dragged it into the forest - there was an obvious 'track' leading from the kill site into the deeper cover of the woodland, but I couldn't find the remains of the deer. Have left my camera anyhow, maybe I get lucky with it still sniffing about.

Nice female Moose today, standing watching me for some moments before sauntering off.

On a more serious note, do wolf/bear occur on your property?

Wolf could - had tracks in February 2015 and the Wolf population in Lithuania is fairly healthy (and would be even healthier if it wasn't a hunted species with a fairly large annual quota).

Bear is an occasional visitor to Lithuania, though records are increasing in line with an increasing population in Estonia/Latvia. Several records last year and already one near the capital this year (suggesting maybe it hibernated here, something not previously recorded I believe).

Lynx has a fairly small population, though is increasing quite a bit and occurs in various parts of northern/eastern Lithuania.

Mammal list for my land is HERE - 31 species recorded so far. Should be dormice too, but I have never found them.

Last edited:
Flood pools in the meadow ... struck it gold with another new species for my land, a totally unexpected Little Grebe.

Meanwhile, remarkably this individual has found a mate - a pair of Little Grebes building a nest today! Unfortunately, I think they will not be successful, the flood pool will dry out in the next weeks.

Marsh Harriers also seem intent on nesting, though they have chosen the flood forest adjacent to my cabin (nested here a couple of years back too) and should be fine.

Only one addition for the year today - incoming Common Whitethroat.

83. Common Whitethroat.

All sounds very dramatic up there in Lithuania and that greedy Lynx didn't even leave you enough to make yourself a Chevreuil Bourgignon Jos!
We had a second Bonelli's Warbler yesterday, this one stayed until at least early afternoon after singing outside the bedroom window from 06h30. Today the Tree Pipit male has been singing from the nearest tree to the house but the return to cold, rainy conditions has deterred the butterflies, we did see a Swallowtail on the 28th April which is early for here I think.
Saw a Kestrel near the village a fortnight ago but it's its bigger cousin that is the first falcon onto the Garden List this year:

68 Peregrine

circling around with two buzzards for a while before plunging like a stone into the valley "good luck that Woodpigeon" is all I can say!

Big mammals active on my land at the moment - the critter below probably not quite so impressed by their presence!

Nice! (Ofcourse not for that Roe Deer.)

My Garden Mammal list is about 6 species... :king:

Back to the birds...

#44. Barnacle Goose - about 30 flyovers
#45. Oystercatcher - 1 flyover. It's good that they are so noisy.
#46. Wryneck - heard only
#47. Common Redstart - briefly in the garden

Cornwall Bird Race day today - but good for a garden bird count, first weekend in May etc ...

Short notice, but anyone up for a garden count day (seen and heard)??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back