• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

M7 8x30 or M5 8x42? (1 Viewer)

Hello fellows. I've always used some 8x42 binoculars. I like your field of view and relaxation to observe. I usually see seabirds, I move through lagoons and marshes, also alternate with the mountain.
I have the possibility to buy some M7 8x30, but I wonder if it is worth sacrificing 12mm opening (M5 8x42), for best field of vision and quality of lenses.
I live in the south of Spain and there are many days of light a year. If I should have it as soon as sunrise and dusk.
I don't care about the weight. If I am something more demanding as I say, in that they have a good visual contrast, good luminosity and useful field of view. Eye relief is not a problem. I don't wear glasses and I like to leave it in position 1 (1 click Out). I appreciate any opinion about it.

Thank you in advance. Greetings.

Daniel.

Hi,

given the choice I probably would tend to get the M7 8x30 - it does most things better than the M5 which is kind of disqualified by it's very narrow 6.3 deg true field (and the sweet spot is also not too large). On the plus side it seems to cope better with stray light - one of the few problems of the M7 8x30 (and a lot of other 8x30/32 bins), and unfortunately probably relevant in your environment.

You might want to have a look at the Sightron Blue Sky II thread - this one seems to be a very nice and cheap 8x32 offer which does better with stray light. It's also being sold under some other names - unfortunately seldom in europe...

Joachim

...You might want to have a look at the Sightron Blue Sky II thread - this one seems to be a very nice and cheap 8x32 offer which does better with stray light. It's also being sold under some other names - unfortunately seldom in europe...
Sightron thread: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

I agree with jring and out of 4 examples of the Sightron clones from different sources none had a fault, so quality control seems reliable. Super sharp, excellent contrast, and all the same (except for the armour, and one was 10x) and dark green (except the Kenko which was black).

Kenko Ultraview OP DH II 8X32 Amazon UK, from EU,
Fujifilm/Fujinon KF 8x32 Amazon US,
Sightron SIIBL832 8x32 eBay UK, from US,
Sightron SIIBL1032 10x32 Amazon UK, from US,

I saw that, in Spain, Optica Roma http://opticaroma.com/instrumentos/es/41-prismaticos/s-9/fabricante_2-kenko?p=2 has a good range of Kenkos, including Ultraview OP DH II the slimmest of the clones, as well as Kenko 8x42 DH at lower cost (= lower performance?...its not "DH II") and other Kenkos at higher prices, none of which I have tried. Most of them are indeed hard to find in UK.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back