• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hairy or downy woodpecker (1 Viewer)

simongodfrey

Taken this spring Ontario canada. Two different birds

Attachments

• received_10160599671700484.jpeg
    received_10160599671700484.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 146
  • received_10160599409735484.jpeg
    received_10160599409735484.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 65
Tiddly little bills on both, so I'd go for Downy Woodpecker on both. But perhaps the 1st should be called a Dairy Woodpecker.

No black spots on the outer white tail feathers says Hairy.

This is not wrong, but looking closely I do see black dots and otherwise it looks more like a downy than hairy. I have the advantage of being on a mobile device that allows me to easily zoom on the picture. Black dots on the outter tail feathers = downy but not seeing black dots does not necessarily = hairy. This is a great example of how hard they can be to see especially in photos.

This is not wrong, but looking closely I do see black dots and otherwise it looks more like a downy than hairy. I have the advantage of being on a mobile device that allows me to easily zoom on the picture. Black dots on the outter tail feathers = downy but not seeing black dots does not necessarily = hairy. This is a great example of how hard they can be to see especially in photos.

Myself, I am not sure that the single pixel of black on the outer tail feather visible in the first picture should be identified as one of the black bars usually seen on a Downy Woodpecker in eastern North America, but I think the large tuft of feathers at the base of the bill does favor Downy. The very small bill on the second bird certainly indicates Downy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back