Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kingfisher ID!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 27th May 2005, 20:13   #1
Fabio

Kingfisher ID!

I am afraid the blown-out part makes it hard to define if it is an Amazon Kingfisher or a Green Kingfisher. I would apricciate your help on this one!

Thanks,
Fabio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4374.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	22013  
Old Friday 27th May 2005, 20:26   #2
snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio
I am afraid the blown-out part makes it hard to define if it is an Amazon Kingfisher or a Green Kingfisher. I would apricciate your help on this one!

Thanks,
Fabio.
Sorry I can't help Fabio But I would like a shot of any Kingfisher Green, Amazon, even Common nice picture.

Regards Snapper.
Old Friday 27th May 2005, 20:57   #3
wintibird
André Weiss

Hi Fabio,
I am consulting the book of C Hilary Fry and I would say it's an Amazon Kingfisher (Chloroceryle amazona). I see no spots in the wings and the flanks are streaked (they should be barred with Green Kingfisher). A nice adult male.

Greetings André

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th May 2005, 21:03   #4
cuckooroller

Fabio,
Andre beat me to it. I agree for most of the same reasons. It also has the stronger little "jowl stripe" and usually amazona has evident white lores (here mostly cut off by the branch) though also americana can have them they are less evident.
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Friday 27th May 2005, 21:41   #5
JANJ

Steve,
what about the black spots under the chestnut breast band on americana male, which amazona dont seem to have, or....
JanJ
Old Friday 27th May 2005, 23:53   #6
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

Fabio,

The right ID has already been given by André, Steve & JanJ. Just for the record there really only are two things you need to note in terms of the colour pattern:

1) No white spots on the wing. It should be mentioned that a few Amazon's do have a single or two white spots on the wing, but nothing that can be compared to the more extensive white spotting on the wing of the Green. This feature is useful in both males & females of the two species.

2) No green spotting below the rufous chest. At most a bit of streaking on the flanks. For comparison male Green has extensive green spotting below the rufous chest, not always in the center, but sometimes even forming a band. Again, it should be mentioned that I've actually seen a few male Amazon's that did have a green spot or two in the center below the rufous chest, but nothing that can be compared to what the male Green has.

Finally, whenever you have the luck of seeing a Green Kingfisher, the difference in size will make the ID obvious as it is far smaller than the Amazon (the Green-and-Rufous Kingfisher is a bit larger than the Green, while the American Pygmy is far smaller than all other Kingfisher in this part of the World). Anyway, there are several other features that are useful for separating the Green and the Amazon (i.e. usually more white in tail of Green, many - but not all - populations of Amazon have more distinct white lores, crest usually more distinct in Amazon, bill proportionally larger in Amazon), but the three mentioned above are generally the easiest and all you really need.

Last edited by Rasmus Boegh : Saturday 28th May 2005 at 00:55. Reason: typo

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th May 2005, 12:48   #7
Jacamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Boegh
Finally, whenever you have the luck of seeing a Green Kingfisher, the difference in size will make the ID obvious as it is far smaller than the Amazon
Definitely. There is no mistaking the Green once you have seen Amazon and vice versa.
Old Saturday 28th May 2005, 20:49   #8
Fabio

Thank you very much for the help, as always.

Fabio.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: