• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Flowers (1 Viewer)

Dave Pearson

Hi,

I am struggling to identify these four flowering plants. They were photographed in France in June 2018. Any suggestions even just to family level would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Unknown1.jpg
    Unknown1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Unknown2.jpg
    Unknown2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Unknown3.jpg
    Unknown3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Unknown4.jpg
    Unknown4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 27
Hi Dave, I can only help with two of the species of your pictures: no.2 is Gaura lindheimeri, a popular garden flower in the Netherlands (Prachtkaars = magnificent candle), in pink and in white, but not endemic; I suppose it is an escape in France as well. The flower on the third picture gives me the impression of a Veratrum (False Helleborine, but that is a name for V.album, which is not this one). Photo 4 shows a species of the Lamiaceae (Deadnettles). I am sure an expert on the BF can offer more details and identification.
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

1 - looks like Narrow-leaved Flax Linum tenuifolium.
2 - agree.
3 - Something in the family Apocynaceae, perhaps a milkweed Asclepias or a dogbane Apocynum.
4 - agree something in Lamiaceae.

Agree with 1 + 2. The Gaura is also very popular in UK gardens.
3 Swallow Wort, Vincetoxicum hirundinaria
4 Cut-leaved Self-heal, Prunella laciniata (shame we can't see the leaves!)

Thanks very much janvanderbrugge, Nutcracker and Aeshna5 for your prompt replies.

Aeshna5 - I think you can see two upper leaves and a fuzzy image of a lower leaf in image 4.

Cheers,

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back