• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazingly bad customer service from Canon (1 Viewer)

I was told the new charge was because the binoculars "had been immersed in water." ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!! Never even used in the rain.

Sounds like Canon are running Apple's "water damaged" scam.

Tell them to keep the binos, then claim from your household insurance which should cover this evident "accidental damage" which Canon can presumably prove.

P.s Welcome to the forum. Ignore some of the daft comments above, they're not representative of most forum members.

Happy birding.

Captain Jim registers with BF yesterday and writes his welcome post. Three minutes later he posts the complaint above as his second post like we here on BF can do anything to help. ......................

If I had a problem with a specific product, and could not workout a solution,
I think it reasonable to go online with a group of users of the product.

1-to gripe
2-get support from others with the same issues
3-find ways to work with dealer/manufracturer
4-look for other options

there is a wealth of knowledge here about binoculars that can answer almost any question

granted, one complaint is just one complaint,
but a group of common complaints is a pattern

edj

Yes, it seems many folks now believe it is perfectly normal to take their grievances to informal "Internet Court" where sympathetic one-sided "justice" is routinely dispensed made all the so more easy by a total non-participation of the defense (like they are supposed to be monitoring and participating in all the billions of web pages already wriiten!). Afterall, who can be bothered with going to real court when the Internet makes everything so much easier, especially when hiding behind its cloak of anonymity.

And of course, because it is now written on the Internet it must be true in every sense (after rising to the top of Google Search and eventually ending up in that great Internet temple of ALL truth and knowledge, Wikipedia!) since the Internet really is different from the malicious, vengeful and sometimes criminally extortioniate real world we used to live in. And even if the intent is malicious, vengeful, and sometimes criminally extortioniate, there are no punitive consequences since it is, afterall, just the Internet!3:)

Last edited:
So that's the "agenda" you're imputing to Capt. Jim--criminal extortion? You really have gone round the bend!

Last edited:
Some seem to be saying that outrageous, egregious treatment of a customer by a company should not be brought to light and if it is it should not be believed. Only glowing reviews should be posted and believed!

Everything in these forums should be taken with a grain of salt, for sure. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is a full-time job...

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is a full-time job...

That's the use of the Internet is all about, an art of its own, no doubt. There are uncountable tons of chaff here and elsewhere. Rick use to be on the wheat's side, though. I can understand his reservations here well. My own experience with the Canon's support of binoculars are as these. For an expedition I needed an instrument of high magnification. It wasn't possible to use a scope with tripod. A Canon 15x50 received heavy duty use for a couple of weeks. Afterwards I gave it to service for a check up. The Canon support here use to be done by another autonomous company which is specialized at photo equipment. In brought them personally here in Hamburg to them and received the binoculars back, checked up at no charge.

Steve

This story seems a bit fishy. I've had 2 pairs of 10x42 L IS binocs (1st pair got stolen) and had to send them to Canon repair facility in California on several occasions. When the OP said that he got a "bill" from Canon for $800+, I think it would be more accurate to say that the estimate estimate to repair the binos was increased, and inquiring whether he wanted Canon to proceed at that cost. This is not the same as a bill.

In my dealings with Canon repair facilities on the phone they have been helpful and informative. I have also had my equipment (binocs, cameras, lenses) returned quickly and repaired.

Canon repairs has switched to generic repair prices (at least for lenses) for minor, medium, large repairs. If they made the initial estimate before they had opened the binocs up, it is understandable they might need to change it once they had.

I wonder how the water got in the binocs. I use my binocs around water a sea water a lot for years and never had this problem. I wonder if the o-ring on the battery case was not sealed properly.

Sorry, the OP had a problem with these expensive binos, but I don't think his experience is typical for this model of bino or Canon repair. (I don't work at Canon, though sometimes I wonder whether I work for them given the amount of their equipment I have purchased.)

Also sorry for the loss or damage but at the same time you said the binos had not been exposed to rain but then go on to say that you use them on a boat. I don't think they are advertised as waterproof.

Try and claim from the insurance company for water damage? Please, first question how did they get water in them 'oh, i used them on a boat'.

Listen tell canon to keep them and buy a pair of binos that are waterproof and keep them on the boat... For £400 you'll do better than the canons anyway....

Canon Sucks - Terrible Horrible Bad Customer Service

A year ago I bought a Canon 70D and installed the software.
A week ago I went to their website and downladed an update
for Digital Photo Professional (DPP) from 3.13.?? to 3.14.??.
Ran the update and the program stopped working. The error was
DPPDLL.dll not found. Following canon's support instructions
none of my Canon software, for either 320 Elph HS or 70D, work.
Nor can the original versions be re-installed. At the end of
this nightmare I was told to contact my computer manufacturer.
What does Dell have to do with Canon's software problems?

The details are at http://SwensonStudio.com/CanonSucks.htm

A year ago I bought a Canon 70D and installed the software.
A week ago I went to their website and downladed an update
for Digital Photo Professional (DPP) from 3.13.?? to 3.14.??.
Ran the update and the program stopped working. The error was
DPPDLL.dll not found. Following canon's support instructions
none of my Canon software, for either 320 Elph HS or 70D, work.
Nor can the original versions be re-installed. At the end of
this nightmare I was told to contact my computer manufacturer.
What does Dell have to do with Canon's software problems?

The details are at http://SwensonStudio.com/CanonSucks.htm

This painful story should get moved to the camera and digiscoping thread, where Canon cameras are scrutinized.
Fortunately the excellent Canon stabilized binoculars are free from any user software dependencies.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back