• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ospreys - Loch Garten (1 Viewer)

Last one was very small and not enough, so looks like EJ went fishing herself again, and brought in a big fish a minute ago. The OVS arrived seconds later with nothing (either that or it's him feeding the chicks which I doubt). Wee one submissive again.

No. 3 had the audacity just to look hungrily at the tail and got well and truly beaten up - what a bully!

Last edited:
Well at least he got the tail end of the fish and paid them back by aiming his bottom in their direction - now lots of calling again by EJ and no. 3. Come on OVS.

The youngest was taking some serious punishment before, I thought it was going to get eaten! It seems to get picked on most when it's making a lot of noise. Maybe it's older brother or sister just wants it to shut up?!

i'm sad to say it doesn't look like the littl'un pulled thru,ej is feeding the other two and it hasn't moved from the bottom of the picture.

According to the LG blog entries it last moved early this morning, after a warning from the team last night things not looking good. It was not having a great life recently though, so probably a mercy it has gone quickly.

Does anyone have any idea on date of ringing, I would hate to miss it.

It was done this afternoon. Also satellite tracking tags were fitted. Thus we will be able to follow their movements for up to three years.

I have mixed feelings about satellite tagging of juveniles. Although I love it I am not convinced that it does not harm the birds. Very few juveniles have successfully carried a transmitter and returned to the place of their birth.

Thank you Tiger, it looks like I missed it although the webcam hasn't been down at all and I can't see any rings on the chicks.

I had spotted a message on the screen that says the camera would be off for a while for ringing 'this evening' but have only recently turned on the computer.

It was done this afternoon. Also satellite tracking tags were fitted. Thus we will be able to follow their movements for up to three years.

I have mixed feelings about satellite tagging of juveniles. Although I love it I am not convinced that it does not harm the birds. Very few juveniles have successfully carried a transmitter and returned to the place of their birth.

I don't think it has been done yet.

I too am undecided about tracking and ringing..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back