• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (1 Viewer)

I'm beginning to get sea-sick watching that nest blowing in the wind:eek!:

D

hi there ive never been to loch of the lowes..and im making a visit there on the 1st may with my sister..can anyone tell me can the osprey be seen fish on lake from side..and can you get gd views from hide also can tell me if you alowed camera to take photos...

hi there ive never been to loch of the lowes..and im making a visit there on the 1st may with my sister..can anyone tell me can the osprey be seen fish on lake from side..and can you get gd views from hide also can tell me if you alowed camera to take photos...

The LotL has a brilliant hide with HD tellies that are right into the nest cup. The hide is on the loch side a few hundred metres from the nest itself. You can't get any closer than that although no one would really want to for fear of scaring the birds off. The birds can be seen plucking fish out of the Loch if that's where they are feeding at the time you are there. I've seen it with my own eyes so i know its spectacular. The birds are very easily seen in the skies from the hide or outside the hide even. I've not been to other osprey sites so can't compare but i reckon LotL would be hard to beat for access and for sightings.

Got my sound fixed Yay. i can hear the tree creaking GULP!!! I can hear a great tit somewhere close by. i wonder if the blue tits will savage the mic cover again this year for nesting material LOL

Here is the first instalment of the wardens diary.

20 March 2009

Our original female, who has been nesting at the Loch of Lowes since 1991, arrived safely back to the nest at 6.05 pm on Friday 20 March. We are delighted that she has returned and are hoping the male will arrive soon so we can start another year of osprey watch.

Watch this space!

watched the webcam for a while today,the female was clearly watching the skies,isin,t it brilliant you can watch this stuff from the comfort of your own home

Hi Kawwauser,

It is good to have another Osprey watcher. The live cameras are brilliant and the sounds awesome. Marge is hunkered down in her nest in strong winds, at the moment, I am glad I am not her, I am in a house but it is wild and wet here too.

Ann :egghead::flyaway::flyaway:
The Osprey Godmother

Hi Folks,

It may be windy but there are plenty of good big fish in Loch Lowes and Marge is just tucking into one. I think she is now looking a bit concerned that she is still on her own.

The Osprey Godmother

Hi Folks,

Marge has just caught a large fish and is having our lunch all the time looking skywards for Homer.

The Osprey Godmother

I havent looked at the diary yet for last year but I'm sure it was around the 28th he arrived. I'm probably wrong LOL. I know Madam Marge has arrived earlier than last year.

She's fair tucking into her fish there.

from the diary

23 March 2009

Welcome back to another season with the Osprey Diary. We are all buzzing with excitement here at Loch of the Lowes because we are thrilled to welcome back our female osprey who has been nesting here since 1991. She arrived at the nest on 20 March at 6.05 pm and is now in the process of fixing the nest for hopefully another successful breeding season. Unfortunately only one of her eggs hatched last year so let's hope she has a bit more luck this year.

The female has been seen filling her belly with trout from the loch and spent her Friday night sleeping soundly in her nest. Saturday night was a bit too windy to spend on the nest so she retreated to a less exposed site and the nest held firm through the gales. The male should be returning from his winter in equatorial West Africa any day now then the mating will begin. The eggs should be laid a couple of weeks after.

Congratulations to the winner of the binoculars who spotted our female osprey arriving back to the nest and keep watching and reading to learn about her progress throughout the breeding season.

Hi Ann,

I am glad you saw what it was I just saw Marge defending her fish and wasn't sure if it was an Osprey, I have heard a crow once or twice this afternoon. Marge does not seem to be eating the fish as if she is hungry so happen the Crow thought it was the best chance to pinch it.

It is all happening today EJ keeps looking skywards as well and I had a male Sparrowhawk shoot through the garden like a bullet, the Sparrows got out of the way quickly.

The Osprey Godmother

Just read last years diary.

Marge arrived the 30th March with a NEW man in tow.

Homer arrived on the 31st/1st and kicked the interloper out the nest door.

Hi Ann and Folks,

It is windy at Loch Lowes and no Marge on the nest but at least she has not got a white white world (snow and a lot of it) at Loch Garten. I am sure EJ (Madam) will be hunkered down out of the worst of it somewhere.

The Osprey Godmother

Been watching the eyrie blowing about in the strong wind.Had to stop watching,as I was starting to feel dizzy..!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back