• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung NV3 Digiscoping adaptor FREE (1 Viewer)

Pie Face

Not actually free in the true sense of the word but it is likely that the established digiscoper will already have the parts to make one.
I bought an NV3 with the intention of using it adaptor free against my Swarovski AT80HD. This is indeed possible and the results are quite impressive, even in very poor light. However this camera has a great video setting which allows you to pause whilst recording and edit using the Samsung software. For this the camera needs to be mounted. I looked at the prices of the available adaptors and was alarmed that they were almost the price of this camera. Now the beauty of this camera is that despite being very small it still has a tripod bush.
I started to plan how to attach this camera to my scope and came up with the following (see picture one).
The parts I used were:

Jessops Cable Release adaptor.
Manfrotto quick release platform
Old digiscoping adaptor
A couple of nuts and bolts.

Tools:

Junior Hacksaw
3mm Drill Bit
Screwdriver and small spanner
Emery paper

These bits can be coupled together fairly easily and make an excellent sturdy device. I was lucky in that the hole in my adaptor makes a perfect friction fit with my 30X eyepice when the eyecup is rolled down and allows the camera to butt up to the eyepiece with no vignetting

Mark

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
And some of the adaptor.

Attachments

• SNV30243.JPG
    SNV30243.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 126
  • SNV30244.jpg
    SNV30244.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 130
  • SNV30245.JPG
    SNV30245.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 119
Hi Deja-vu,

Very clever. I believe with a little more thought this could be made into a swing away type adapter. I would like to hear some more ideas on possible modifications on this adapter from the members.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back