• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Dioptron 10x42 (1 Viewer)

mikfoz

It's not a competition. Watch the birdy!
I acquired some of these second-hand and I've so far found them to be very good, bright binoculars with an incredibly wide field of view for 10x magnification (6.6 degrees).

Has anyone else an opinion on these, any idea of their history or any experience with them as to whether they are/were particularly highly rated. I don't think they're all that new and they're a bit battered/scratched on the body but the workings/optics are well-looked-after.

Could you post a picture? Opticron OEMs from a lot of places ... it may look like another bin OEMed for another company in the US.

OK here's some pics.

Attachments

• P1000641 [].JPG
    P1000641 [].JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 795
  • P1000643 [].JPG
    P1000643 [].JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 590
Hi Mikfox,

This model dates back to circa 1997 and was a similar model to Opticrons recently discontinued 'HR - high resolution' porro prism model (non-waterproof). The current 'SR GA Porro' models are an uprated version of the original ' HR's so the Dioptrons are of a similar quality and were highly rated at the time. Still a great Porro.

Steve

Thanks for that. I was convinced they were more than holding up against some quite expensive roof prism models in the In Focus shop at Martin Mere but wasn't sure if it was just wishful thinking. It's good news and bad news as if I want some waterproof ones to match it's going to be pricey.

Hi Mikfoz,

Try the Opticron 'Explorer' BGA roof prism binoculars. This is a new model and has truely superb image quality for its sub £200 price range. It is waterproof, has PC phase corrected prisms and comes in 8x & 10x42 formats. I have just taken delivery of the 8x42 version and i'm very impressed, very little edge distortion, very bright, clear and sharp. Try 'Sherwoods' for price, sub £150.

Steve

How are they for field of view genuine edge to edge?

I need some more robust bins before I wreck these out in the field but I don''t want to lose that huge, bright window on the world.

Hi Guys;

FWIW - I can vouch for the Opticon Explorer 10x42's... I bought a pair down at Slimbridge between Xmas & New Year... been looking for a while since I trashed my last pair - which were only 30+ yaers old!.

Tested a whole bunch in the shop down there; they look out over one of the marshes, so you get to have a "real" play with them...

For me anyway, within my price-bracket, and normal use, they were way ahead of more expensive models I tried in clarity and speed... Also have "wind-down" eye cups for use with eye-glasses; ideal for me!

Paid £199 which I'm sure was top-dollar. I've since seen them online for c. £170/£180...

Cheers;

Lee

Sigh...

At the moment I'm fully stretched with Xmas recovery, car insurance and suchlike and having to put them on my birthday list for March with a budget of about £100.

Anyone got any Discovery 8x42s? Because I'm eyeing these up as a good budget option for if it's a crappy weather day.

Hi again Mikfoz,

If your budget is only £100, then another 'porro' prism is going to be the best route, Roof prism binoculars at this level cannot compete. The Opticron 'Aspheric' 8x40 porro has won best buy in both BBC wildlife, and Birdwatching magazine's and are excellent bright and sharp optics, now with twist type eyecups and wide field of view. The 'Discovery' are murky by comparison. In general porro's outperform 'roofs' of a similar price especially at the lower end of the market. Again Sherwoods for price at only £60....an absolute bargain.

Steve

The wife has already given my parents the nod that I'm looking for a pair of bins and these would be OK.

I'll take the gift and use them if it's raining, as I doubt I'm going to exceed the dry weather performance of the ones I've got at the moment and save up.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back