• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Typical Birding Excursion (1 Viewer)

DJRansome

If you have an hour or two to hit a nearby birding hot spot...how do you spend the time?

Settle in one spot and observe for 2 hours? Keep moving until you see something? Give each spot 15 minutes?

I've always let the birds come to me...I've never gone searching for them.

If you have an hour or two to hit a nearby birding hot spot...how do you spend the time?

Settle in one spot and observe for 2 hours? Keep moving until you see something? Give each spot 15 minutes?

I've always let the birds come to me...I've never gone searching for them.

It depends what I want. Seawatching is from one spot, so (usually) is raptor watching.

If I'm after open country birds then I tend to move quickly through habitat looking for concentrations of birds.

If I'm forest birding I tend to move slowly, following up strange calls and every half-seen movement.

It's birding. Horses for courses and one size doesn't fit all.

John

I do my birding pretty much like John.
When I'm alone, I usually moving more, but when with good company more standing and watching with scopes. Naturally - Bird Rallies are whole different stories...

As others have said, it very much depends on the habitat. And also depends if you're looking for specific kinds of birds, or trying to generally find out everything that's around. I tend to follow vocalisations and wander towards areas that somehow look promising, moving on after it feels I've given things some time to show

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back