• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coot and Moorhen behaviour (1 Viewer)

Eevie

I think most people who follow young birds from the moment they are born till they are old enough to leave their parents become somehow attached to them.

Seagulls, like Herons, are the birds who are responsible for most of the young Coots and Moorhens who disappear.

Last week Tuesday August 8 was the last time I saw my little friend Coot A, it apparently left the little canal. In the couple of weeks before it had often been in the company of female Coot B who often fed the young one, but I also saw it all alone, his Moorhen friends having left the little canal at the end of July. At about 10 to 11 weeks of age it is rather young to leave, but it had always been quite independant. Female Coot B is now all alone in the little canal, her young one that she abandoned is still further up the canal with the Moorhen family that adopted it.

Here a picture of young Coot B with the Moorhen family, it is the one on the right.

Attachments

• Scannen0022.jpg
    Scannen0022.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 605
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back