• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK: What berries are your Waxwings eating? (1 Viewer)

Jack Dawe

I expect most will be eating rowan berries, but I'm wondering else and in what order of preference. Hawthorn? Cotoneaster? Pyracantha? Also, if there's enough input to keep this thread going, I'd be interested to see how their preferences change as the winter goes on and the rowan berries disappear.

I'm asking partly because I'd quite like to find some of my own and am wondering where best to look (not many rowans locally, but plenty of the other plants I mentioned), but also because I'm curious anyway.

They're still on rowan here, seem to be avoiding everything else even tho the rowan is getting a bit sparse now.

Cotoneaster and Palm seeds (!) reported from Falmouth, Cornwall.

The ones at Mylor (nearby) a couple of weeks back were on Yew berries.

Thank you for the replies. Keep them coming!

I'm very interested that the Mylor birds were eating yew berries. I had the impression (no idea why - obviously wrong) that Waxwings didn't like them. Palm seeds is surprising! Maybe I needn't give up hope with my sunflower hearts yet!! :-O

Excuse my ignorance Jack but, big red ones, little red ones and little black ones in Scarborough
Dave

Attachments

• red berries.jpg
    red berries.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 101
  • little black berries.jpg
    little black berries.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 128
  • little red berries.jpg
    little red berries.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 116
Thanks, Shorebirder. No.1 is rosehips. No.3 is a type of cotoneaster (horizontalis, I'd guess). I'm not sure about the black ones (I'm not actually that good at plants!) - bilberries perhaps?

2 in Hampshire last weekend were on Cotoneaster salcifolia and Sorbus intermedia (latter well over but still apparently edible..)

cheers, a

So far that's

3 x cotoneaster ssp
2 x rosehips
2 x wild privet
yew
hawthorn
guelder rose
Swedish whitebeam (sorbus intermedia)
crab apple
palm seed

I've seen them on sloes in the past too. I guess the obvious conclusion is that Waxwings will turn to pretty much anything once the rowan berries are gone (which I assume they will mostly are by now). I wonder whether cotoneaster comes out top in this tiny sample because they are so popular in towns and gardens where the birds are most likely to be noticed?

I'd say Rowan is the first choice but I'm sure I've seen some eating Elderberry and the odd apple too. I have also seen them consume Cotoneaster.

Perhaps of interest, but the default choices here in the Baltics (where Waxwings are usually fairly common) are apples and/or grapes.

I'm pleased to hear about the apples as I have been putting them out hoping passing Waxwing will drop in....the local Blackbirds think Christmas has come early.

No mention of pyracantha? Surely they must take those too? There are one or two bushes in our road and I always look at them in hope!

I've got a few bushes/small trees around here ( Bassaleg Newport)covered in red berries. They are covered in red berries every year as nothing seems to want to eat them. I know this is very limited info but any-one got any idea what they might be.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back