• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which car window mount? (1 Viewer)

curvecrazy

Any preferences or experiences/recommendations on car window mounts? I currently have an old Bushnell version which is satisfactory but have the need for a second one because the missis and I are constantly going to overlooks and whatnot and scanning with two scopes from the comfort of the car.

I see a nikon version. Looks well built and some positive reviews. Seems to weigh 1.15lbs or so from what I can find. Around $40 shipped.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=171181&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I see a Vortex version. Also looks well built. A bit more costly and some positive reviews too. About 1.2lbs. Around $50 shipped.

http://www.adorama.com/VORCWM.html

I see an Alpen Optics version. Also looks well built. A ton of positive reviews on amazon. Lighter at 13.2oz. And cheaper at $23 shipped. But only one arm going to the top with a 90 degree bracket.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MF4I7O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see a cabela's version that looks much like the nikon and vortex but appears to not have the twisting handle tripod style locking of vertical movement. A feature I highly value from my own experience with the older bushnell. These seem to go for $30 plus.

I see some bushnell light car window mounts. Listed at 8oz weight I think. Not the best reviews and in the $20 range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421420-REG/Bushnell_784407C_Car_Window_Mount.html

I see posts of people using small tripods in cars. I guess that could work OK but you would be losing a whole lot of scannable degrees of field with that setup since the window posts would necessarily get in the way.

Older bushnell window mounts seem to be fetching $40 or so on ebay if you can find one. Up to $50 with shipping. Mine was inherited from my dad and I would not say its great but that might be premature because I have not yet received the Alpen I decided to try based on all the positive reviews. I like the idea of being able to lock the vertical tilt with the rotating handle. I'd hate to have the scope pivot forward and slam down on the car door.

btw.. for those of you who have not used one of these devices they straight up rock in many situations. Just the other day it was colder than a witch with serious windchill and we were on the waterfront looking for a rare gull some others had spotted. There were a group of birders out on a peer in the wind freezing their nads off and of course, no bird to be found. It was literally quite cold even for thems dressed heavily. We were out there for awhile and then we opted back to the car. We drove across the channel to the other side and mounted up the angled 82mm scope on the Bushnell window mount. This doesn't work so well due to the angled scope so we turn the scope sideways in the clamp when we use it this way. Thus we were able to continue the search for the bird in comfort in the car. Scanning and enjoying the view without the frigid temperatures. Others came over and copied us but didn't have window scope mounts so were sitting there in their cars with their scopes propped bare on the window ledges. LOL Not very practical and what if you slip and drop your $3k scope thus??

Anyways. These window mounts are no end of handy. I keep it right on the second scope with the scope sitting in a blanket or padded box, usually on the floor in the middle behind the drivers seat. See something interesting beyond the binoculars you just reach back, pick it up and bring it right around to the drivers window. You know the right height for the car window cause you've used it before. Set the height. Clamp it on and you are in business with a solid and steady mount. Once familiar with the mount you learn to put the car at the right angle for the specific situation to allow the widest view and thats about as good as it gets.

And I have tended to keep the second scope on a tripod in the back seat which I can just grab and go for those situations fwiw. This setup has been working so far.

Last edited:
Almost 24 hours and nobody has any comments on the various available car window mounts? Everybody uses tripods I suppose???

I have a car window mount. I think they are an excellent tool. Birds are not too afraid of cars. They are used to them. But the moment you open the door and step outside they usually fly away. Therefore I often use my 500 mm lens on a window mount and the car as a blind. Mine is just a cheap little Monfrotto. Nothing fancy. It screws into the bottom of the camera and fits over the glass when the window is 3/4 down. It has a clamp to screw it tight against the glass and a ball head. The ball head is really essential. Otherwise I would have a lot of difficulty to get the lens lined up with the subject.

What model Monfrotto do you have and how expensive was it? I still have not received my Alpen. Looking forward to it as the Amazon reviews were strongly positive. I am wondering if I should have upped my investment to the $50 Vortex which by weight alone along with reviews appears to be a really quality unit. I'll probably be using this on a FSIII 60ED so this won't be too heavy.
I like your assessment of the car as a blind. I concur. I usually do not have issues with the birds flying away when I get out the car cause the birds tend to be way out over water, fields, valley, hillside whatever and I'm lookin at em with 24X or more rock solid with a scope.
For closer in birds I am usually handholding 7-8X and typically not in the car for that. No real need for a mount.
I am really surprised the lack of interest and input on these window mounts. Few seem to be aware of their existence. I know more than a few birders I've come across had never seen such a mount. Assuming you can park the car at a favorable angle to your target area this compares very favorably to a good tripod mounted mid level with a seat to sit behind it solid and comfortable. This has the added benefit if your car is an SUV or pickup that your viewing height is higher than the aforementioned tripod/folding chair so you'll likely see more.

It is Monfrotto model 243. Photo attached. No idea what I paid for. I have had it for many years. I don't think they are expensive. It is an excellent device. I keep it in my vehicle so that I never go anywhere without it. I use my vehicle as a blind a lot. I often see hawks and other birds on fenceposts and trees along the side of the highway. They ignore cars but as soon as I get out they fly away. True, if the birds are far away then it does not matter. But for roadside birds, I use it a lot. It just clamps on the window and has a separate knob for the ball head. I got some nice hawk photos that I would not have got without this little mount.

Attachments

• IMG_8575.JPG
    IMG_8575.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I tried a couple of different window mounts but generally found them to be cumbersome. If I am birding from a vehicle I now use a straight Nikon ED50 with a 16xWA lens mounted on a shoulder-pod that is much less cumbersome, quick to deploy, can be used for any window, and can be handed over to the passenger. I have used a variety of scopes and tripods ranging from Swarovski ATX 95 to the little ED50, and gave away my two window clamps because I quit using them.

I suspect that a lot of the lack of response is due to the fact that many people own a car that makes it impossible to use one of these from the drivers seat without severe injury or discomfort.

I tried one similar to those you are asking about on several cars I owned over the years and finally disposed of it. It was fine from some rear seats where the window didn't have a sloping top and the bench seat allowed you to turn towards it without twisting your spine, but in the front - not a chance.

It was more useful for holding a camera where you could see the rear lcd from a comfortable distance, however with a long lens my cars were never stable enough really.

I suspect that a lot of the lack of response is due to the fact that many people own a car that makes it impossible to use one of these from the drivers seat without severe injury or discomfort.

Ditto..... it sounds like a great idea but just not practical. To top it off I have an angled scope which makes it doable as I can twist the scope but still not comfortable.

Just plain uncomfy as you are trying to twist your body to get the right angle to view the scope while sitting in the drivers seat with the steering wheel as a deterrence. Birds up close can be viewed nicely with a 10X bino and birds a bit distant can be viewed by keeping my tripod legs extended to the height I like to use them at and store them in the hatchback. When needed, I just get out of the car real carefully without slamming the door, set it up and view.

Last edited:
Yes, I guess a lot depends on the type of vehicle you have. I have a North American Chevy truck so for me it works great. I can change from left to right side without much problem. The mount just stays on the camera bottom until I unscrew it. The truck also has the advantage of being higher than a little car for a better view over bushes and such, as was mentioned above.

It is Monfrotto model 243. Photo attached. No idea what I paid for. I have had it for many years. I don't think they are expensive. It is an excellent device. I keep it in my vehicle so that I never go anywhere without it. I use my vehicle as a blind a lot. I often see hawks and other birds on fenceposts and trees along the side of the highway. They ignore cars but as soon as I get out they fly away. True, if the birds are far away then it does not matter. But for roadside birds, I use it a lot. It just clamps on the window and has a separate knob for the ball head. I got some nice hawk photos that I would not have got without this little mount.

Ok, This is exactly what I'm talking about. I constantly see interesting stuff during my commute or when on leisure drives/weekends. Your Manfrotto lacks the angled handle of my old Bushnell. The angled handle has a twist locking clamp mechanism to lock in the vertical adjustment. The main complaint I have and have heard about these is that they "drop" several degrees when the vertical is locked. Its become second nature for me to lock it the necessary amount "higher" so the view falls exactly or close enough to where I need it. And most times with the scope if you don't get it right the lower power viewing window is large enough to accommodate. I will check out your model Manfrotto. Thanks.

I find it interesting the lack of response on this because to my own experience this is an >indispensible< accessory. It's absolutely quick, convenient and so constantly used I leave the scope mounted right on it. If I'm in the car this is gonna be my first viewing choice at a distance. Stop the car at the right angle and you choose your optic!!

You are correct in that the weight of a long lens or scope makes the view drop a bit. You get used to it with practice and start out by aiming a bit higher than the subject, then adjust with the ball. I found that I don't need a handle. I just use the whole camera as a handle to move around on the ball head. I agree with your assessment of this tool. For me, it is indispensable and if I ever lost it, I would buy another one straight away. But I understand with some people's assessment that it is not comfortable to use in certain car models.

I tried a couple of different window mounts but generally found them to be cumbersome. If I am birding from a vehicle I now use a straight Nikon ED50 with a 16xWA lens mounted on a shoulder-pod that is much less cumbersome, quick to deploy, can be used for any window, and can be handed over to the passenger. I have used a variety of scopes and tripods ranging from Swarovski ATX 95 to the little ED50, and gave away my two window clamps because I quit using them.

This is pretty interesting. Out of curiosity, do you recall the models of window mounts that you had?

I had not considered using a shoulder mount. And certainly there is a shortcoming with the window mount with regards to a passenger at the opposite side of the car. I know this very well from using my own. You can quickly remove the window mount and hand it across. Of course, strictly logically speaking, there is no way a passenger on the other side of the car is going to see the "item of interest" due to the fact they are in the wrong place to "look". Pretty basic. Its like being out in the field with a friend and you are looking at this once in a lifetime bird and she [ ? ] should be too except for that tree blocking her viewing angle. She is basically wondering WTF you are talking about? What bird??? LOL Same in the car but either a product of the front windshield distortion or the window/car roof posts or "me myself with my big shoulders and my big head" being in the way. In this instance its pretty much universally better for the viewing partner to step out/get out of the car with a good binocular or walk 5 paces sideways to get "the view" if we are talking the tree.

I could see the shoulder pod working with an ED50. I've heard those are sweet little optics with impressive wide fields of view. In fact I will probably be buying one soon fwiw++.

I truly can not imagine a shoulder pod being much use at all with a Swarovski 95mm anything. That has got to be 3+lbs?? Even at relatively low [ for that 20X maybe?? ] power and then you have the problem of being too far into the car by design sitting in the seat with the shoulder mount to be able to vary the view or track the item of interest. Would seem to me extremely limiting. If you turn towards the window to widen your viewing angle you are by necessity creating an even less stable viewing platform seems to me because then you are sitting there sideways trying to be stable??. But of course you will support the optic on the windowsill but since its locked to your body by this shoulder pod seems to me every move you make the optic moves?? Or in those situations are you then removing the optic from the shoulder pod and free holding supporting on the windowsill?

I really can't imagine it working. But knowing me, and you are probably the same, I can make just about anything work! I do admit I have not used a shoulder pod so I could be totally off base here. fwiw.

I stand to be educated.

I tried one similar to those you are asking about on several cars I owned over the years and finally disposed of it. It was fine from some rear seats where the window didn't have a sloping top and the bench seat allowed you to turn towards it without twisting your spine, but in the front - not a chance.

It was more useful for holding a camera where you could see the rear lcd from a comfortable distance, however with a long lens my cars were never stable enough really.

Discomfort maybe. Severe injury? Twisting in the car seat? You are serious aren't you??? :eek!: I am sorry but I must say that if this is the case the immediate correlation that comes to mind is of everyones youth and dating. Strictly speaking from my parents, my own, my friends, and even watching on TV's experience let me assure you more business has gotten done in car seats, across car seats, in front seats, possibly more in back seats in the good old days maybe not so much so today as back seats aren't what they used to be LOL. And I for one have always been more into long term relationships myself but I can tell you "this much" with certainty, at 44 years of age right now and being no Cassanova, there are plenty of girls from my past that left the car after an evening out >heavier> after that car seat "business" and I'm not talking sweat equity here!! No offense intended but seriously? Your dating experience must have then been pretty lame compared to mine, but I sit here assured you did not seriously hurt yourself. LOLAL. 3:)

Your final comment about camera use and in your cars not stable enough leads me only to think you must be a lot heavier than me if this is the case and maybe ties in to the dating thing mentioned. I'm even imagining you going down the road in your car and every time you fidget in your seat the car bounces up and down noticeable by eye to those following behind.

I got out from under steering wheels, over center consoles and even over/past gear shift knobs, past various obstacles, into too small spaces and more. And in many cases "she" did too.

Fwiw, a good car window mount is not affected by whether the window slopes or not. I have not, in my own experience with more than 10 cars and many hundreds of thousands of miles of driving found a car window the old Bushnell window mount would not work on. Nor a front car seat for that matter. This is from economy cars, sports cars back in the day, pickup trucks, and SUV today. fwiw

Yes, you will have to contort yourself to some degree. Do you want to make out with that girl during/after the movie? Do you want to see the item of interest?? I'm gonna twist as far as I have to/as is necessary cause I have an objective in mind. You do "by all means" what you gotta do or not! 8-P

Ditto..... it sounds like a great idea but just not practical. To top it off I have an angled scope which makes it doable as I can twist the scope but still not comfortable.

Just plain uncomfy as you are trying to twist your body to get the right angle to view the scope while sitting in the drivers seat with the steering wheel as a deterrence. Birds up close can be viewed nicely with a 10X bino and birds a bit distant can be viewed by keeping my tripod legs extended to the height I like to use them at and store them in the hatchback. When needed, I just get out of the car real carefully without slamming the door, set it up and view.

Again, I have to disagree. I have a Zen Ray 82ED angled scope and it works great with the window mount. Actually even better and more comfortable than my straight Fieldscope III 60ED. The reason? Because you can turn the scope 90 degrees on the scopes center clamp which then allows you to look further to your desired viewing angle without moving your body as far. With the straight scope you have to contort yourself more but that too can be at least minimized by undoing the window clamp and moving the whole setup from the center of the window to the appropriate side that still allows enough rotation of the scope to see your target.

I have to admit that in life I am constantly surprised by my own completely different experiences and views on things and how they/things work and here we are talking cars and window mounts and so it goes why should this not be the same as so many other topics. LOL

To each their own I guess. You get out of it what you put into it and I certainly would not want anyone to "twist" or "seriously injure" themselves or to be uncomfortable for that matter. I mean? >>> God forbid, take it easy there, you might hurt yourself using that optic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave up on window mounts when electric windows became widespread. After either nearly crushing my scope (well my hand actually) as the window went up or knocking it to the ground when the window went all the way down. Also, as some have said the angle was horrible too - head squashed on the car's roof while twisted in a very uncomfortable position - a no-no for me. A bean bag much more practical I think.....

Oh, and another thing. If you use the window mount with your chosen scope to any extent you will at some point find your drivers mirror intruding on your ability to rotate the scope. Like I said, you can undo the window mount clamp and move the scope further back towards the seat, or/and maybe quicker, you can rotate the car mirror out of the way. Most of the car mirrors are designed to push forward on a hing with a spring. Many may not know but it will not damage your mirror. This is a little play designed into the mechanism to minimize unnecessary damage from mirrors getting bumped by pedestrians, bikers and even wayward misc... ? as one is backing up the car. fwiw

No offense intended above with my comments which are more meant to be funny although to some degree serious. I think most people have at least made out in a car at some point and you do gotta twist around. Comfortable? Hell no but I'm gonna kiss that sexy gal. Heh!!!

I gave up on window mounts when electric windows became widespread. After either nearly crushing my scope (well my hand actually) as the window went up or knocking it to the ground when the window went all the way down. Also, as some have said the angle was horrible too - head squashed on the car's roof while twisted in a very uncomfortable position - a no-no for me. A bean bag much more practical I think.....

You, my friend, are wise. And, you are also correct. Any user of a window mount need be, by necessity, careful with the use of the power window while the window mount is attached. You don't want to damage something so best not to be moving the window while using the mount or move it only with great care [downward movement for example to improve the view angle in certain situations] while physically holding the body of your scope from the top side just in case. Words to the wise.

That said, I have yet to meet a power window stronger than my Bushnell window mount clamp [going down the clamp will literally stop the window and no glass breakage occurs fwiw ever] nor more powerful than my hand or arm should that be the case [ moving up and pinch action going on]. This may or may not be by design as I am quite sure no automotive manufacturer wants to be sued or held liable for injuries sustained from a "too powerful" power window. I think we can all rest assured that was a direct design consideration when configuring the first automatic car windows cause even your most basic idiot would be immediately concerned with getting pinched by such a window. I won't lie here. I have like zero use for automatic windows on cars. They increase complexity. They are likely to break/fail. And generally just increase cost of the vehicle. I think you have to be careful in life regarding getting so lazy you can't do simple things like rolling up a car window. I mean? Come on!! :eat: But I've digressed.

In fact, in various situations, with the power windows on several of my cars and those of coworkers and friends too, the power windows have gone into a sort of loud freespool mode when frozen shut by ice for example trying to open or when open attempting to shut but something sturdy blocks the way such as someone leaning full body through the window for example.

If your car window is different than those I've experienced, and it "is" a man killer, then by all means do use it to "choke to death" assorted of your enemies as the situation presents LOL. I hope your enemies aren't very strong cause most people can force a half raised automatic car window down and should that be the case he's only gonna be madder........

As you all can see, I've had some idle time to kill this afternoon. LOL

Speaking of bean bags. How on earth do they work? I mean, you get a beanbag that lays across your window ledge. You then support your optic on there. Ok. Now, you have to be very careful it doesn't fall off to the outside no? And so, is it not obvious you can not do any kind of long term steady viewing with a bean bag? I mean, even the strongest person with the most fatigue free eyes [does this person exist?] has got to take a break every few minutes does he not? And, it seems to me, he then had to re-find his target again, all while being careful not to drop his $3k scope out the window by accident. In the meantime, while he is taking this "break", which I think you will agree he is not Hercules and he will need a break? His precious optic is now in his way in the car - probably sitting on his lap yes? Or would the scope be then sitting on his passengers lap, when his hand might better be placed there but alas if he attempts to do so that precious scope is there on his lap in the way. No play for him or her, not on this day. Ba ha ha. She might be happier that way anyways depending.

I am very curious about this bean bag thing which I've heard about before but for the life of me, I can not find one for purchase. Someone said his friends wife made one for his friend. That person was well impressed, and said he wanted the friends wife to make one for him as well. But she would not do so. Imagine that? And he too could not find one for purchase. So I assume he could only sit there and admire his friends beanbag while bagless himself. Sad. So here we are.. a world await for effective bean bags [precious optic supports I mean] and noone supplying them? Does anyone know the wife? Is there a sewing pattern available from the wife mentioned above? Sewing too is one of my many talents if doing so freehand with needle and thread is acceptable? Plastic beads? Pea gravel maybe.. so its heavier and more stable too on the windowsill? Now the car will really be tilting to the drivers side LOL.

I suppose on further thought you would tether your $3+k scope with a string of some sort to say the steering wheel and when not in use simply hang it out the window appropriately. Yeah.. I guess that would work. Where is that book of knots? And what shall I tie to? The focusing knob possibly. Oh? Not so secure and its pissing up my focus ability if I could hold my body still to support the scope still at high power which I [like any human] can not in the first place. Window mount just DOES this. LOL But heh, maybe a case for the optic with rings attached to tie off to? Or is this beanbag so big it literally forms a 12" or so shelf to lay your $3+k optic on? Needs to have some sort of support in there if its/the shelf is gonna be level. Don't want that scope to fall off. Maybe the wife sewed in a tripod within a beanbag? Or maybe my friend has it on her lap afterall and its in my way again. Scopes are such a nuisance!!! Even she is aggravated holding that 3# piece of crap on her lap. Your day is already becoming less enjoyable. Mmmmm..

Last edited:

I have to say, I just keep coming back to this comment and I'm forced to giggle. What car are you talking about here? Please do inform. I have to say we sometimes talk about optics having a tunnel vision sort of effect with too narrow a field of view. By your statement, this car must be dangerous to drive because this car must be such that its impossible to look 90 degrees to ones left or right through the windows apparently. Otherwise the use of the window mount could not possibly require that much of an uncomfortable twist to use. I mean... I'm searching here. How do you check for traffic coming from either direction when you are driving this car? The side windows must be way forward?? Do you stop, step out, check for "coast is clear??" and then get back in and get going quick before "coast is clear" changes? I mean, that car would seem to me dangerous.

I received the Alpen Window Mount yesterday. It's much less substantial than my old Bushnell window mount. First impressions is that its reasonable quality. As mentioned I plan to hold up the Fieldscope III 60ED with this so that's not that heavy. As received the back and forth motion on the main horizontal swivel was free in one direction clockwise and with resistance counterclockwise. I lubed that up with Dry Moly Lube and after working it a little bit its now slick as slick can be either direction. Haven't had a chance to clamp it on a window yet but will do so as soon as time allows to see how well it works.

If there's any issues its going right back and I'm ordering up the Vortex model. fwiw

I suppose a lot of people think these are useless but this morning was a perfect example of how well a window clamp works. I had the Bushnell/Nikon in the car when leaving work. Went over to a local waterway where masses of waterfowl collect. The area generally doesn't freeze because tugboats are going back and forth there. Lots of birds about. It was 22 degrees F on the thermometer. I sat and scanned the area for about an hour, comparing different eyepieces and fooling around with the Bushnell Doubler on the Nikon. This really beats sitting or standing outside in the cold and windchill with a tripod, your eyes watering uncontrollably in the frigid windchill to the point you can barely see much less enjoy yourself. Of course, if you were out with the tripod, you would have a wider scanable field of view. Luckily most of my vantage points in this area its not a problem.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back