• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic DMC-FZ300 (1 Viewer)

I don't understand what the new features really mean, but it seems to me that the steps of progress with these bridge cameras are getting smaller...

I don't understand what the new features really mean, but it seems to me that the steps of progress with these bridge cameras are getting smaller...

I think we are at the limits of what can be achieved with such tiny sensors, and there'll be no big improvements unless there's something new discovered (maybe the Large Hadron Collider will discover something that turns Physics on it's head ;) )

The AF sounds like it might be faster, and the 4K video is useful (although I'm not sure how good it will actually be using that tiny sensor) The Wifi is useful too.

I guess we'll have to wait until it's released to see if it's worth FZ200 users (I'm not one of those) upgrading

I do not expect to go back to a bridge camera, but faster AF (3-4x) and improved weather resistance are plusses in my book. New processor might make the images from the system more pleasing at higher iso.

Niels

In January, 2016 when my wife will be in the U.S., I am going to have her purchase for me an upgrade to my Panasonic fz35 which I have extensively used for the last six years, mas o menos. Depending on the reviews after its release, that purchase in all probability will be the fz300 due to such features as the much improved EVF including the sensor activation, the higher resolution touch screen LCD, the faster focus speed, the improvements to the stabilization system, and the weatherization as it is usually real windy and dusty where we live in Mexico.

Would anybody know when typically the initial price (in this case around $600) of newly released Panasonic cameras goes down?
By January, the fz 300 will have been available for around 3 or 4 months.

As this camera suits my needs to a somewhat greater extent than the excellent yet more expensive, less zoomier, and bulkier fz 1000, I really want to get it but I am hoping not to have to pay the current asking price, but will if necessary, as I would definitely like to have it in my hands for a birding trip I am taking in late January.

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking this camera in the UK is also known as FZ330?

I've currently got a well used FZ150. Frustratingly in custom settings the AF area defaults back to a larger AF area when switched off or with a mode change. Did they correct this in the FZ200 and the FZ330?

Many thanks

Dave

......Frustratingly in custom settings the AF area defaults back to a larger AF area when switched off or with a mode change. Did they correct this in the FZ200 and the FZ330?

Many thanks

Dave

Don't know about the 300/330, but in the 200 there is exactly the same frustration.

FZ300 listed as in stock

B&H now has the new FZ300 listed as "in stock". With $600 it is presently priced right in the middle between FZ1000 and FZ200.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back