• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your best birding goof? (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
I thought this might be an interesting topic. I feel like every good birder should have a growing list of goofs.|=)| I have had my fair share, but the most recent one that comes to my mind is my heron misidentification last year. I thought a Green Heron was a Least Bittern (I think it was on the smaller end of Green Herons), which would have been a rare bird for the location and habitat I was in. I posted it to a local birding listserv and was very proud of myself. Imagine my surprise when I went back the next day, got a better look at it, and saw it was a Green Heron! I had to correct my listserv post and swallow my pride.:eat: It was quite a surprise then, but I find it hilarious now.

This fall I was at a popular birding spot and bumped into the top birder
in the county and told him I'd seen a Tree Sparrow up near the parking lot.
He says it's a bit early for Tree Sparrow are you sure it wasn't a young White-crowned?
I said no this bird was a rather big Sparrow. He says well White-crowned are a good size and Tree
Sparrows are smaller. Then he shows me a pic on his camera of a juvenile White-crowned
he took that morning and I said...uh yeah that's the bird. Now the guy thinks I'm a beginner , but I've
been at this for several years now ...how embarrassing and it was the first and only time I met him.

The upside was I tagged along with him and a couple other birders and learned some more things.
He was very polite and gave me quite a few pointers.

In Spain I directed a group of birders to a field with '40' Dotterel in. When their group leader finished counting there were 165! Must pay more attention....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back