• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin-like bird Charlotte, NC (1 Viewer)

JeffRome

I just saw a robin size bird walking around below my sunflower feeder. It is robin size, but has a black beak (similar in shape to a robin's) and a bit lighter orange belly. But it has a white central stripe dividing the orange in half down its ventrum about 1/2 inch wide. It also lacks the white specks around the eyes that a robin has. I can't find it in my book--the closest I can find is an oriole but the white stripe in the middle of the orange does not fit. Any help? thanks!

Eastern Towhee formerly roufous sided maybe

Attachments

• tow hee turkey thrasher 035.jpg
    tow hee turkey thrasher 035.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 254
That must be it--the white ventral stripe in the book is about twice as wide as this bird actually has--therefore, the the bird I see has a LOT more orange on its belly--but otherwise that looks like it. Local variation? Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back