• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawks (1 Viewer)

rachk116

England
Does anyone know what the average number of fledged chicks is for Sparrowhawks. We have a nest with 4 in and they look about ready to go. :h?:

rachk116 said:
Does anyone know what the average number of fledged chicks is for Sparrowhawks. We have a nest with 4 in and they look about ready to go. :h?:
Hi rachk116

4 to 6 is usual, I once had a nest with 9 eggs (2 females one male?).

nirofo.

nirofo said:
Hi rachk116

4 to 6 is usual, I once had a nest with 9 eggs (2 females one male?).

nirofo.

Thanks for that. I've checked them today and they are all around and about the nest. Shouldn't think they'll be there much longer. I'm a little worried about one of them as I can only make out 3 now, but I suppose that's nature's way. Still nice to have them in my back garden, even if they are all very noisy!!!

Last edited:
rachk116 said:
Thanks for that. I've checked them today and they are all around and about the nest. Shouldn't think they'll be there much longer. I'm a little worried about one of them as I can only make out 3 now, but I suppose that's nature's way. Still nice to have them in my back garden, even if they are all very noisy!!!
Hi rachk116

It's not unusual to lose at least one of the chicks, there's always one that seems to be a runt compared to the rest. It usually ends up not being fed properly and is either killed by it's siblings or killed by the adult bird and fed to the remaining young!

Survival of the fittest.

nirofo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back