• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Wildlife groups" survey claims public supports bird of prey control (1 Viewer)

Behind this survey, I smell a question on the lines of "If we don't carry out an occasional cull of common raptors, every songbird in the country will be gobbled up within five years - would you support such a cull or do you want all the little birds to die?"

"A survey carried out by the Countryside Alliance, Moorland Association and National Gamekeepers Organisation found 60% of people think raptors should be controlled, even though 80% were unaware there were more raptors now than at any time since records began."

Says it all really! didn't bother read any further.

Stewart

Stewart. always read further. At the very least, know your enemy! In my work I come into contact with plenty of these people, including gamekeepers, and you can (nearly) always get into an intelligent conversation if you show you have a knowledge of the subjects they are reading about (FW has a big readership amongst country folk). Promote further thought on the subject when you have the opportunity and you can go a long way to getting your point over instead of just dismissed.

"60% of people think raptors should be controlled" Excellent, nearly half of the people the organisers saw fit to be polled don't think it necessary. Persuade 11% of 'em instead of letting them just read more unsubstantiated truths and you're there.

80% didn't know more BoPs since records began Easy, and when did records begin. Most accredited surveys started when there were unnaturally low populations.

81% support work controlling predators Note change of phrase from raptors to predators. Two out of ten country folk don't support controlling predators? That's high! Actually, I bet those two don't support it but condone it. Remember as well, known fact that RSPB supports work controlling (certain) predators on some of its reserves.

Two-thirds support the work of the RSPB Woohoo! Result surely? Most positive thing I take from the article. Shows RSPB is getting something right in winning hearts and minds.

80% saying RSPB should carry out control on their reserves I'd be pleased to tell 'em they already do, (some control, some reserves) and then go on about their ongoing research into predation.

everyone from the Government to the RSPB has run scared of being open and honest Well, yes to a degree, in that RSPB doesn't promote control figures, but c'mon, foxproof fencing is easy enough to spot so they're not hiding it (although there was that year at one East Anglian reserve they fenced the fox in!).

We live in a managed landscape. People understand that it is necessary to control predators to protect declining species and maintain a balance And I for one can agree with the sentiment, but would then argue that this closing statement is an oversimplification and thus misleading. Even if they disagree with your point, if they've listened they're at least heard the case opposing theirs. If you've made one of that 60% who support raptor control open his/her mind to the arguments, you'll find when you talk with them next they will have been giving them some thought. Which is a start.

I know 'members of the public' who are fearful that Red Kites might snatch babies from prams or attack toddlers playing in the back garden. So the real question is, what value is the opinion of 'members of the public'.

I know 'members of the public' who are fearful that Red Kites might snatch babies from prams or attack toddlers playing in the back garden. So the real question is, what value is the opinion of 'members of the public'.
It's they who vote in people who pass the laws you might hate?

This sort of "down the nose" attitude towards mere mortals less well-informed than you hardly helps. Get out there and inform them in accessible ways that don't alienate them and are actual arguments based on being better informed and not just pandering to your own prejudices!

Agreed Mike, if voting and education are what it takes to keep what's important, people need to learn to adapt to that too. Remember, polls are for liars and thieves , votes speak for themselves. :t:

i wonder which "predators/raptors" people would love to see culled - not those receiving bad press by any chance?
i wonder if these people who can give their opinions on raptors can actually identify any raptors?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back