• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide photography in Southern Spain, January 2019. (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

7 days spent sat in photography hides isn't everyone's cup of tea, not even mine really and I'm an avid bird photographer! I normally prefer a mix of out and about as well as some days sitting and watching.
The species we saw were very good though, the close up views of some species impossible without hides and bait.
https://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.com

Make your own minds up.
cheers
Dave

Bonelli's Eagle photos - best I've ever seen David of that species.

And I didn't just look at your first ones. The rest were superb too.......the Hoopoe ones stand out as well.

All top class though.

7 days spent sat in photography hides isn't everyone's cup of tea, not even mine really and I'm an avid bird photographer! I normally prefer a mix of out and about as well as some days sitting and watching.
The species we saw were very good though, the close up views of some species impossible without hides and bait.
https://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.com

Make your own minds up.
cheers
Dave

Beautiful shots of various species, enough to remind me why I'd never make a decent photographer!

I've had a dose of this kind of hide photography in Hungary and the results can be astonishing. One hide we were in had a mixed colony of Red-footed Falcons and Kestrels, plus a couple of pairs of Rollers and one of Lesser Grey Shrikes. No its not like proper birding - but the hours of close observation of charismatic species are fantastic.

The photos in this trip report are outstanding!

With reference to the Goshawk: the size of the Rabbit shows the size of the female Goshawk, Rabbits are typical prey, could obviously be easily carried up to a perch to consume and wild black morphs are not infrequent even in the UK. IMHO its a good shoot :t:

John

I've had a dose of this kind of hide photography in Hungary and the results can be astonishing. One hide we were in had a mixed colony of Red-footed Falcons and Kestrels, plus a couple of pairs of Rollers and one of Lesser Grey Shrikes. No its not like proper birding - but the hours of close observation of charismatic species are fantastic.

The photos in this trip report are outstanding!

With reference to the Goshawk: the size of the Rabbit shows the size of the female Goshawk, Rabbits are typical prey, could obviously be easily carried up to a perch to consume and wild black morphs are not infrequent even in the UK. IMHO its a good shoot :t:

John

Sakertours? The first photography trip specific trip I took and the most professional too.
Yes, I see Black Rabbits now and again, there's a specific spot on the Wirral I always see them. I always assume they are the descendants of escapees though.
Thanks for the positive comments though, both to you and everyone else.
Dave

Sakertours? The first photography trip specific trip I took and the most professional too.
Yes, I see Black Rabbits now and again, there's a specific spot on the Wirral I always see them. I always assume they are the descendants of escapees though.
Thanks for the positive comments though, both to you and everyone else.
Dave

I'd have to check, a mate handled the booking direct with Istvan.

Black Rabbits are fairly common on Scilly and Shetland, used to be regular near the roundabout where the A414 and A412 coincide just off the M25, are frequent round Tring, can be seen readily at Farlington Marshes (and that's just the places I've seen them).... of course in a sense all British Rabbits are descendants of escapees, but there's no doubt the gene is well embedded in the wild population.

Cheers

John

Some super shots Dave.

I too have mixed feelings about hide photography, but there's no questioning the quality of your results and the amazing eyeball to eyeball experience that is not possible any other way

I used to work at an NGO that had a rehab centre and I remember the raptor expert telling me that Bonelli's has the largest spread of talon in proportion to its size of any raptor.

The same guy used to feed whole chicks to a Saker he was rehabilitating!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN4941 Hungry Saker @KFBG.jpg
    DSCN4941 Hungry Saker @KFBG.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back