• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Hen Harriers nearing extinction" (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
News from BBC teletext today giving the usual information on the decline. The interesting bit was they say that over the past 12 months 6 Hen Harriers carrying satellite transmitters have gone missing in the North Pennines area. The question must be if 6 tagged birds go missing in 12 months, how many other go missing in the same time frame?

Dreadful news. I'm sure some bright spark must be able to calculate the likely annual death toll. Before anyone north of the border points it out (a touchy lot these Scots), isn't the thread title somewhat Anglo-centric?

Ha, we're used to it ...

we could only get annoyed if the situation was completely different on our patch. Sadly it is all too similar.

Mike.

Perhaps the idea is more UK-centric. Of course our Northern Harrier is the same species, and it is doing very well here in the New World. I visited a famous raptor area last week, Amherst Island, and saw perhaps 50 or more during the day.

I don't suppose the situation is helped by a report of a shooting on a royal estate in Norfolk being swept under the carpet. That sent a good message out to the less ethically minded game shooters in the country didn't it!

I don't suppose the situation is helped by a report of a shooting on a royal estate in Norfolk being swept under the carpet. That sent a good message out to the less ethically minded game shooters in the country didn't it!

And I don't suppose that escaped Eagle Owls breeding next to one of the most important Harrier sites in England helps either.

not to forget Peregrines, Goshawks and Ravens breeding in the same area.

how many of these "missing" hen harriers might actually be predated by other birds/willdife?

And I don't suppose that escaped Eagle Owls breeding next to one of the most important Harrier sites in England helps either.

not to forget Peregrines, Goshawks and Ravens breeding in the same area.

how many of these "missing" hen harriers might actually be predated by other birds/willdife?

Yes Goshawks are a fair comparison, though I'm not sure that they are known to eat harriers. Eagle Owls are known to eat harriers fairly frequently.

Peregrines and Ravens are not comparible because they are native species.

Yes Goshawks are a fair comparison, though I'm not sure that they are known to eat harriers. Eagle Owls are known to eat harriers fairly frequently.

Peregrines and Ravens are not comparible because they are native species.

I've seen all three species breeding in very close proximity to each other and goshawks not too far way with no more interaction than "handbags at 10 paces", but it's a good point about eagle owls.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back