• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in South West England (1 Viewer)

Henry H

Hi,

I will be spending the last week of April in and around Polperro in Cornwall. I know of the RSPB sites in that part of the country, but I would be grateful for any local knowledge any of you can pass on to me. I don't really have a specific species in mind, just want a varied few days with the chance of seeing something I'm not likely to find in the Blackpool area.

Thank you.

Hi Henry,
any of these places should be worth a look at the end of April.
Polperro - maybe a few seabirds inc Manx Shear, Puffin & Storm Petrel (if you're lucky)

Talland Bay - a few migrants in the bushes, and around the church (plus a chance of ticking off Richard & Judy!!)

Looe - Hannafore, very good for all sorts of things, waders, gulls & terns

Par beach pool - Gulls & Terns, possibly skuas if the passage is good.

Colliford Lake & Dozmary pool - End of April - Cuckoo, Whinchat & who knows what else! (There is a semi resident Ring-necked Duck but it proves almost impossible to see ) You can take tea at Jamaica Inn though.

Golitha Falls - Redstart, Wood Warbler, Pied Flycatcher + other woodland birds - continue up the Fowey Valley for guaranteed Hobby.

A little further afield - Rame Head/ Whitsand Bay is a must for migrants and resident Dartford Warblers. I will be leading a walk there on Sunday 25th April starting at 9.00am - you'd be very welcome to join in. The grid ref is SX423487

Darrell

Darrell,

Wow, thanks, plenty to choose from. I'm logging off to go and consult my atlas!

Unfortunately I don't think I get there until the Monday, but if I can change things to the Saturday I would love to join your walk. (But I think it's looking unlikely at the moment)

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back