• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 HD for hunting? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzcloud

Leica 10x32 HD for hunting?

I've never owned binocluars but always used Leica M rangefinders. So I thought I should buy a pair of Leica binoculars for hunting. The local shop here has the ultravid 8x20, 10x32 HD, and 10x50 HD.

I think the 10x50s are probably too heavy to walk all day so I am deciding if I should get the compact 8x20 or 10x32HD.

btw I wear glasses

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Hi, Firstly I'm not a hunter. (I have enjoyed my Leica M's for over 40 years.)
Surely some hunter will give advice, but my question is, why would you limit your choice to the 3 binoculars that this dealer has? Leica has quite a range of sizes and powers. Depending on the type of terrain you will be hunting in, and at dawn and/or dusk, an 8x or even 7x might be a better choice.
BTW your typo of Ultravoid, instead of Ultravid will probably generate some (humorous) comments!
Good Luck, John

Last edited:
Hi, Firstly I'm not a hunter. (I have enjoyed my Leica M's for over 40 years.)
Surely some hunter will give advice, but my question is, why would you limit your choice to the 3 binoculars that this dealer has? Leica has quite a range of sizes and powers. Depending on the type of terrain you will be hunting in, and at dawn and/or dusk, an 8x or even 7x might be a better choice.
BTW your typo of Ultravoid, instead of Ultravid will probably generate some (humorous) comments!
Good Luck, John

Thanks for your comment. I am limiting myself to these 3 is because they only have these in stock and I am going on a hunting trip soon. I heard the 42s and 50s are too heavy. So my other choice is probably 8x32

I've never owned binocluars but always used Leica M rangefinders. So I thought I should buy a pair of Leica binoculars for hunting. The local shop here has the ultravoid 8x20, 10x32 HD, and 10x50 HD.

I think the 10x50s are probably too heavy to walk all day so I am deciding if I should get the compact 8x20 or 10x32HD.

btw I wear glasses

Thanks for your comments.

Being that most big game hunting is done in the late fall and winter, I would think you would need a larger exit pupil than 3.2mm, but the Zeiss 10x32 FL seems to do the job, according to this hunting reviewer.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_52/ai_n26970132/

Not sure if the 10x32 HD measures up. Zeiss FLs are supposed to be the brightest among the "alpha class" roofs.

The 10x32 FL also has more eye relief - 15.2mm vs. 13.2mm for the Leica, which is probably not enough for most eyeglass wearers even if they have a flat face and thin glasses. ER is one area where Leica lags behind the pack.

The Nikon 10x32 EDG has the best ER at 17.3mm. Right now, at least in the US, it also costs half as much as the "alphas" (Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss) but delivers comparable performance.

The 8x20 "ultravoid" is nearly "void and null" in regard to exit pupil, with only 2.5mm, which would be dim in the winter.

An 8x32 bin would probably be the best compromise btwn weight and exit pupil. Unfortunately, the 8x32 Ultavid doesn't have enough ER for most eyeglass wearers - same ER as the 10x32 model.

Here the 8x32 EDG does best again with 18.5mm ER. Unless you look like my Uncle Tonoose (see avatar) or have Coke bottle glasses, that should be plenty ER for eyeglass wearers.

Keep in mind that optics companies' ER figures don't always equal the usable ER for eyeglass wearers and are most often less, but Nikon is one of the best in giving usable ER figures.

The EDG's open bridge is also easier to handle for people with larger hands.

You might also check out the Swarovski 8x30 SLCNew. My friend Steve uses it for hunting and he wears glasses. It has 15mm ER, but he has flat facial features unlike me and my Uncle Tonoose.

While Leica might be the brand of your camera of choice, it might not be the best choice for you as a hunting binocular, because of the low ER.

Brock

Last edited:
Being that most hunting is done in the winter, I would think you would need a larger exit pupil than 3.2mm, but the 10x32 FL seems to do the job, according to this hunting reviewer.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_52/ai_n26970132/

Not sure if the 10x32 HD measures up. FLs are supposed to be the brightest. The FL also has more eye relief (15.2mm vs. 13.2mm for the Leica, which is probably not enough for eyeglass wearers even if they have a flat face and thin glasses).

ER is one area where Leica lags behind the pack.

The Nikon 10x32 EDG has the best ER at 17.3mm. Right now, at least in the US, it also costs half as much as the "alphas" (Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss) but delivers comparable performance.

The 8x20 "ultravoid" only has a 2.5mm exit pupil, which would be dim in the winter. An 8x32 bin would probably be the best compromise btwn weight and exit pupil. Unfortunately, the 8x32 Ultavid doesn't have enough ER for most eyeglass wearers - same as the 10x32 model.

Here the 8x32 EDG does best again with 18.5mm ER. Unless you look like my Uncle Tonoose (see avatar) or have Coke bottle glasses, that should be plenty ER for eyeglass wearers.

Keep in mind that optics companies' ER figures don't always equal the usable ER for eyeglass wearers and are most often less, but Nikon is one of the best in giving usable ER figures.

The EDG's open bridge is also easier to handle for people with larger hands like myself.

You might also check out the Swarovski 8x30 SLCNew. My friend Steve uses it for hunting and he wears glasses. It has 15mm ER, but he has flat facial features unlike me and my Uncle Tonoose.

While Leica might be your camera of choice, it might not be the best choice for you as a hunting binocular, because of the low ER.

Brock

Thanks Brock

So from my understand from your comment is that you want as much eye relief in terms of mm as possible if you are wearing glasses.

How is actually measured? Is it from your eye to the bino lens? So if you are wearing glasses, your glasses lens makes your eyes be further from the bino lens?

My hands are small so handing the 8x20 probably won't be an issue for me, but compactness losses you out on performance for sure.

I haven't really looked into the other Nikon, Zeiss and Swarvoski binoculars you have recommended. They are cheaper too so probably better cost/benefit alterhnative. Would definitely try them and feel for it myself.

Btw, I am still pretty brand loyal to Leica 8-P

Before you go on the trip make sure you have a quality binocular and have put it through it's paces to make sure it is sound.

Here is link to check. See threads 7 and 12 about an article Terry Wieland, Shooting Editor of Gray's Sporting Journal wrote about Binocular's for Hunting. He said that all you need is 8 x 32 but that they better be top grade. There is a link to the article in thread 12 but it may not be working now. You might be able to find an old library copy of that issue and an archive to it. Wieland also said that "poor optics wears out good hunting boots."

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=69312&highlight=Gray's+Sporting+Journal

Particulary read the comments of Brad Shrike around thread #17 about his hunting experiences with 8 x 32 and 8 x 42.

Bob

Last edited:
Get yourself an 8x42 and never look back. Forget about the weight. Get a bino harness and you won't even notice them. Quality glass with a 42mm obj is superior to a 32mm obj of like quality every single time. I'd think you'd want every advantage in low light being a hunter ( I do) so go with the 42.

Get yourself an 8x42 and never look back. Forget about the weight. Get a bino harness and you won't even notice them. Quality glass with a 42mm obj is superior to a 32mm obj of like quality every single time. I'd think you'd want every advantage in low light being a hunter ( I do) so go with the 42.

I just called the dealer, they don't have anything for Leica in 42s in stock. But they do have a 10x42 EL from Swarvoski. That might be my only choice.

Hello mzcloud,

I am also a hunter. My region is the Andes foothills so, for me, the 10x40/42 is the general purpouse binocular. And the Swarovski EL is one of the top quality binoculars, indeed! Any of the top ones will be more than enough. From my point of view, if you can find a Meopta Meostar in 8x32, 8x42 or 10x42 you will get one of the best quality/price relationship available.
And, the Leica 10x50 is one of the lightest 10x50 roof prism binoculars. Not to much, form me to carry around. And this has one of the best 10x views for my taste.

Good luck!

PHA

I just called the dealer, they don't have anything for Leica in 42s in stock. But they do have a 10x42 EL from Swarvoski. That might be my only choice.

Before you go on the trip make sure you have a quality binocular and have put it through it's paces to make sure it is sound.

Here is link to check. See threads 7 and 12 about an article Terry Wieland, Shooting Editor of Gray's Sporting Journal wrote about Binocular's for Hunting. He said that all you need is 8 x 32 but that they better be top grade. There is a link to the article in thread 12 but it may not be working now. You might be able to find an old library copy of that issue and an archive to it. Wieland also said that "poor optics wears out good hunting boots."

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=69312&highlight=Gray's+Sporting+Journal

Particulary read the comments of Brad Shrike around thread #17 about his hunting experiences with 8 x 32 and 8 x 42.

Bob

Well, it's a new month, and while I usually like to wait until near the end of the month to submit aphorisms for our panel of judges to vote on, Wieland's was just too good to pass up.

The "court" of 9 "Supreme" TV Judges - Joe Wapner, Judge Judy, Marilyn Milian, Joe Brown, Greg Mathis, Judge Hatchett, Lynn Toler, David Young, and Maria Lopez have delivered a unanimous ruling in naming Wieland's aphorism this month's "UNCLE TONOOSE APHORISM OF THE MONTH"!

In case you missed it, folks, here it is again:

Poor optics wears out good hunting boots.

Congratulations! to Mr. Weiland. His BirdForum "No Prize" will be not shipped shortly to his home and a free plug to his complete collection of books is posted below:

http://www.allbookstores.com/Terry-Wieland/author

Somewhere Uncle Tonoose is smiling under his mustache.

Brock

Last edited:
The Meopta is very good, but you might as well get a Cabelas Euro instead and save the $100 or so over the Meopta since they are the same bino. The SLCneu can run with the EL all day long and is much more durable than the EL. Believe it or not, my Leupold GR HD 10x42 also runs neck and neck with my SLCneu (2010 model). At $599 the GR HD is an absolute steal of a deal. I bought the SLC's recently for $1000 and that's a great deal also, and considering Leupold and Swaro have the best customer service in the industry, bar none that's where I'd look first.

Hi mz,
When you are hunting in the Ontario bush, you want to carry more compact gear, because big glass is a bother while you are going through the woods, at least in my experience.
The 10x32s are a bit high powered, an 8x32 would probably be a bit brighter and with a bit wider field of view, but the size is right. Leica used to sell a neat little holster for their 8 and 10x32 glass, ideal for crawling around the bush.
The Swarovski glass would be brighter, but it is materially bigger, much more like the 10x50 from Leica.
There are harnesses that snug the glass to your chest and help it from getting snagged in branches (BinoManager at Amazon), which help with bigger glass, but harnesses are not always practical.

The Meopta is very good, but you might as well get a Cabelas Euro instead and save the $100 or so over the Meopta since they are the same bino. The SLCneu can run with the EL all day long and is much more durable than the EL. Believe it or not, my Leupold GR HD 10x42 also runs neck and neck with my SLCneu (2010 model). At $599 the GR HD is an absolute steal of a deal. I bought the SLC's recently for $1000 and that's a great deal also, and considering Leupold and Swaro have the best customer service in the industry, bar none that's where I'd look first.

Meopta is a less expensive choice. I've read a number of posts on Optics Talk from buyers who compared the Meopta to the Swaro SLC and thought they were so close that it made no sense to buy the more expensive Swaro - but that was before the SLC-HD, which is a horse of different color.

I also read on Cabela's that the "Euro" was not exactly the same as the Meoptas in the same configuration, because the Meoptas had more advanced coatings, and that was the reason they cost $100 less.

I like the non-wart version myself, but if the coatings aren't up to par, it might be worth digging deeper and paying that extra "Franklin" (or "Borden" in Canada) for the Meopta version if the difference is significant.

Only 15mm ER on the 10x42 model either way, which might not be enough for some eyeglass wearers. The 8x42 is better at 17mm, but I'm not sure how reliable Meopta's figures are in terms of usable ER for eyeglass wearers.

I've also read good things about the Leupolds GR HDs. The 10x42 model has a listed ER of 16mm. So there are some good choices out there at the "second tier" level, but it's impossible to tell if the ER would be enough for mz until he actually tried them whereas the Nikon EDG and HGL are sure things.

Perhaps by buying a "second tier" bin, mz could upgrade his rangefinder camera to a new Leica M9 Titanium. :) Or buy a Mercedes c350 instead (same price as the camera!!! :eek!:)

Brock

Last edited:
Btw, here's an article on the debate about whether the "lighter is better" or the "bigger is better" philosophy works for hunting. The example of the lighter bin he uses is... the Leica 8x32 HD (he obviously doesn't wear glasses or has a face like a bulldog :).

http://www.opticstalk.com/leica-8x32-ultravid-hd-review_topic11206.html

Note this observation: "The EL felt the most comfortable in my hands and had perhaps the largest center field “sweet spot,” but it appeared to have the most chromatic aberration..." (vs. 8x32 HD and 8x32 FL).

I guess that answers my question about whether or not the EL's optics were similar to the SLCNeu.

Meopta is a less expensive choice. I've read a number of posts on Optics Talk from buyers who compared the Meopta to the Swaro SLC and thought they were so close that it made no sense to buy the more expensive Swaro - but that was before the SLC-HD, which is a horse of different color.

I also read on Cabela's that the "Euro" was not exactly the same as the Meoptas in the same configuration, because the Meoptas had more advanced coatings, and that was the reason they cost $100 less.

I like the non-wart version myself, but if the coatings aren't up to par, it might be worth digging deeper and paying that extra "Franklin" (or "Borden" in Canada) for the Meopta version if the difference is significant.

Only 15mm ER on the 10x42 model either way, which might not be enough for some eyeglass wearers. The 8x42 is better at 17mm, but I'm not sure how reliable Meopta's figures are in terms of usable ER for eyeglass wearers.

I've also read good things about the Leupolds GR HDs. The 10x42 model has a listed ER of 16mm. So there are some good choices out there at the "second tier" level, but it's impossible to tell if the ER would be enough for mz until he actually tried them whereas the Nikon EDG and HGL are sure things.

Perhaps by buying a "second tier" bin, mz could upgrade his rangefinder camera to a new Leica M9 Titanium. :) Or buy a Mercedes c350 instead (same price as the camera!!! :eek!:)

Btw, here's an article on the debate about whether the "lighter is better" or the "bigger is better" philosophy works for hunting. The example of the lighter bin he uses is... the Leica 8x32 HD (he obviously doesn't wear glasses or has a face like a bulldog :).

http://www.opticstalk.com/leica-8x32-ultravid-hd-review_topic11206.html

Note this observation: "The EL felt the most comfortable in my hands and had perhaps the largest center field “sweet spot,” but it appeared to have the most chromatic aberration..." (vs. 8x32 HD and 8x32 FL).

I guess that answers my question about whether or not the EL's optics were similar to the SLCNeu.

Brock

The M9 Titanium, lol.. thought about upgrading my M8.2 to it (thats before knowing the crazy price)

Lot of people say eye relief needs to be above 15mm for people with glasses. Does that mean I will feel uncomfortable right away? Or its only uncomfortable for viewing long periods.

There are probably more dealers in the states, but in Canada, most of these binoculars are special order. So I only can try the ones in stock, which are 10x32 HD, 10x50 HD and swarvoski 10x42 EL. Going to try them tomorrow. And if I do buy one, there is probably no returns too =(

The 8x42 Leicas are relatively compact compared to the others, and despite the data, I can view with 8x32 HDs much more easily than with my Zeiss 32's. I think it has to do with the eyecup design. I have no problem with glasses and the HD's at all.

The 8x42 Leicas are relatively compact compared to the others, and despite the data, I can view with 8x32 HDs much more easily than with my Zeiss 32's. I think it has to do with the eyecup design. I have no problem with glasses and the HD's at all.

Jacquot,

Are you saying that you can see the 8x32 HD's entire 7.7* FOV with your glasses on? Do they have thin polycarbonate lenses?

Most eyeglass wearers lose at least some FOV when the ER is less than 15mm.

My bespectacled buddy Winston is the only one I know who can see the entire FOV in a bin with less than 15mm usable ER with his eyeglasses on:

http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bulldog-300x246.jpg

Brock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back