• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping New Camera Samsung NX 100 (1 Viewer)

wueku

Hello
I have been reading for some time, the posts in the forum. I find the forum very well. I do digiscoping with a Swarovski 65 HD and a Nikon Coolpix P6000 and DCA. I have been digiscoping with my Nikon D90 with 35mm 1.8 g. But the results were not very good. (Camera too heavy with DCA) Next week I get a Samsung NX100, Lens 30mm F 2.0 Lens 1:3.5-5.6 / 20-50mm. I will test the camera and tell it again. Sorry for my English.

Greetings Kurt

Kurt,
Welcome to the digiscoping discussions here. We're looking forward to hearing more about your efforts with the NX100.
Neil.

Unfortunately, I have a problem with the camera. I had to send in the camera after two days because the 20-50mm lens did not work properly. I could make but a few shots with the 30mm pancake. With the 20-60 eyepiece, there is some vignetting at 20 x. From 30x the image is good. I made some shots. The light was very bad. The recordings are made with ISO 200 1 / 10 sec. F 2.0. I used a cable release from Samsung. The AMOLED display is very good. When the camera is back I will make more shots with different ISO settings.
Kurt

Attachments

• SAM_3139 .jpg
    SAM_3139 .jpg
    287 KB · Views: 635
The 30mm lens (KB x 1.5 = 45mm) has a filter thread of M43. Swarovski DCA adapter has a thread of 43mm. The ring can not be mounted on the Samsung lens. I worked on the ring. Also a step up ring from 43mm/52mm can be used for the DCA. It is important that the thread depth is about 2.5mm. Otherwise, the attachment to the filter thread is too weak.

The weather at the moment is not good. I have made in the living room a few pictures to show the vignetting. All pictures are original JPEG without processing.

I hope you understand the translation

Attachments

• SAM_3252 20-20-100.jpg
    SAM_3252 20-20-100.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 286
  • SAM_3262 25-20-100.jpg
    SAM_3262 25-20-100.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 190
  • SAM_3265 30-20-100.jpg
    SAM_3265 30-20-100.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 184
  • SAM_3268 35-20-100.jpg
    SAM_3268 35-20-100.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 186
  • SAM_3272 40-20-400.jpg
    SAM_3272 40-20-400.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 283
Thank you for these examples! And what about 20-50mm lens? Does the zoom lens have internal focus or the front of it is rotate when focusing? Can you show amount of vignitting when used 20-50mm lens with 20-60x swaro zoom?
Im asking becous i have exactly the same scope setup as you and right now im still considering next contender for my new digi-camera.

All the best,
Michal

hallo Michal
I have not yet returned the lens of the repair. When the lens is back, I will make some pictures. But I believe that the lens on the DCA is not stable enough. 40.5mm threaded plastic?

The series of photos you posted are very soft away from the middle, only quite a small part of the photo stays sharp. Is that down to the lens or the eyepiece?

Paul.

Hello Paul

The scope was deeper than the Clock. The images are generally less sharp towards the edges. Probably the Zoomokular 20-60. I did not compare to 30x eyepiece. Further, the lens in the middle is even sharper

Hello Paul

Do you mean, that the quality with the 30 x Okular is more better than the 20-60 x Zoom?

All the clock face images suffer from the same softness/distortion. As an example I shaded in the sharp section and everything out of the shaded area starts to show signs of distorting.

Paul.

Attachments

• shaded.jpg
    shaded.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 218
All the clock face images suffer from the same softness/distortion.
But i think it could be problem of Samsung lens not the 20-60x zoom. I use the same scope and eyepiece with N5100 and didn't noticed so much softness on edgeds of images.

Michal

Samsung lens 30mm/F2

But i think it could be problem of Samsung lens not the 20-60x zoom. I use the same scope and eyepiece with N5100 and didn't noticed so much softness on edgeds of images.

Michal

I think the problem is very simple. The 30mm lens is very good and able to obtain very sharp images but I think the aperture should be 2.8 at least. F2.0 as we see on the pictures is quite mild and can not be really usefull, except for centre area.

regards,

Marcin Filipek

Hello Kurt

How are your results with the NX100 so far ? I have plans to purchase this camera (NX100) or the Sony Nex 3 for digiscoping with the Kowa TSN 883.
Do you have good results with th 20-50mm lens and the pancake (30mm) as well ?
Wich one do you prefer ?

best regards

Herman van der Klis

Hello Kurt

How are your results with the NX100 so far ? I have plans to purchase this camera (NX100) or the Sony Nex 3 for digiscoping with the Kowa TSN 883.
Do you have good results with th 20-50mm lens and the pancake (30mm) as well ?
Wich one do you prefer ?

best regards

Herman van der Klis

Hello Herman
The NX 100 has two different faces. The camera has a good display. The operation is simple and logical. The 30mm lens is of good quality. For digiscoping, there are some problems. The camera is mounted to the filter thread on the DCA adapter. The 30mm lens moves during autofocus. Picture quality is good to ISO 400 At ISO 800 the quality is poor. (noise). The APS-C sensor will require much more light than my Nikon P6000. When I work with my Nikon P6000 ISO 100, I set the Samsung to ISO 800. The advantage of the large sensor is no longer available. Until now, I'm not really happy. The better shots, I'm still using the Nikon P6000.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back