• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capercaillie and cranes (1 Viewer)

pva

Georgia
Hello,

Next spring I'm going back to Sweden, primarily for Capercaillie and cranes in Lake Hornborga. I have two problems here:

1. My vacation is pretty short, so I won't have much time to try to find the Capercaillie lek myself;

2. Nobody will tell me the exact location of the lek, since this is something that people usually keep in secret (and for the good reason).

I know some Capercaillie leks in Northern Lapland, but this is pretty far north, so April is probably a bit early to go there. Plus, there are not that many Capercaillie in this area.

Sure, I can buy a tour and go to the lek with the group, but I always prefer to be there by myself.

So I have two questions:

1. Where in Sweden is the best place to look for Capercaillie leks? I know it's never easy to find, but some places are more difficult than the others;

2. If I still have to go to Lapland, is the last week of April too late for cranes in Lake Hornborga? I visited their web site - it seems that some cranes should still be there, but I'm not sure.

I would really appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you,

Peter

You can find Capercaillies further South, for example in Dalarna. No need to go to Lappland.

You should be at Hornborga in late March, early April for the full experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back