• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More info on the posted pictures (1 Viewer)

paula

Perhaps this subject has come up before but I for one would like it so much if all members were to give more information when they post a photograph.
Info like the type of camera, the settings, the distance and even the weather.
I like to study that and learn from it.
What do other members think?

I agree on this too, I am guilty of not doing so myself sometimes but I am just using a point and shoot camera at the mo. It would be nice to know the required combos when I get my proper gear one day.

Cetainly an excellent suggestion. I have added some requirements for the third photo competition which hopefully will help address your request (for any one not knowing about the competitions, look under the forum "Competition Photographs").

My personal feeling is that to many people worry to much about the technicalities of how an already taken image was shot, light and circumstances are different all the time, so those details are not relevant to any other image than the one shown and therefore not of real use, we do however need to worry much more about the aesthetics and dynamics of the composition, and our viewpoint.

Nigel

Sure Nigel, you are right.
The tecnical site of things is probably second nature to you while I, as an ordinary mortal, do have to get that right and think about it.
Not much good having a lovely composition and viewpoint when the image itself is out of focus, blurred or all the other things that can go wrong with it!

One of the interesting things about the digiscoping technique however (as it seems to me, an expert of at least three weeks standing), is that the equipment we use is actually quite uniform. Most folk use Nikon Coolpix cameras and a telescope. Most of us know which scopes are supposed to be the superior (but I suspect that the dfferences are not enormous). If I see one of the quite remarkable pictures posted by Nigel or Andy or any of the other digiscoping heavyweights, and I see that they are using basically the same gear as I have access to, then I actually see that as encouragement. Must try harder. Must be able to improve. Can't blame the gear, look what these guys are doing with the same kit.....

Yes agreed Paula but you will learn much more by taking pictures and making mistakes and applying those lessons to yourself, you will very much turn the learning process into a longer more confusing issue by trying to apply the criteria of pictures taken in other lighting situations, by others, to your own work.

Nigel

I agree with Nigel one hundred percent.. I have tried copying others settings in certain circumstances only to be foiled at the outcome.. now I shoot and try everything ... the info is all there when I am successful.. all I have to do is retain it... I seem to have a teflon brain these days...
The tech info is always appreciated and I admit freely to asking Nigel for some help from time to time.. heck I would grovel for one week of one on one lessons.. but I go out and shoot and shoot and make so many mistakes and believe me I am learning from that alone.

Though I agree with Nigel, and certainly respect his photo taking ability, I do not feel that gives an "all around" picture (no pun intended). While I have learned tremendously by the trial and error method, I believe I have learned more by critiquing a photo. Now before anybody gets their bloomers in a knot, I know this is not what we are trying to accomplish, nor do I want that. There are other fourms for that. However, when I see that photographer "X" used X and Y settings, it gives me many ideas for composition. I have never tried to replicate settings, but I have learned tremendously from others' work, both the so called good and the bad. And as Paula stated, for those who are new to this, some have absolutely no idea how to even use these settings, so this at least gives some direction (though admittedly it is incomplete, it is still a good place for a true beginner to start). Personally, I believe a healthy combination of the two methods can be useful to most anyone.

nigelblake said:
Yes agreed Paula but you will learn much more by taking pictures and making mistakes and applying those lessons to yourself, you will very much turn the learning process into a longer more confusing issue by trying to apply the criteria of pictures taken in other lighting situations, by others, to your own work.

Nigel

Couldn't agree more Nigel. The only way we learn is to keep taking shots and always be looking for that better pose or composition. - Mike

bcurrie has some good points in his argument and so does Nigel. I am a self confessed beginner that is slightly overwhelmed by this new digital camera experience. I am finding it hard enough already to learn new things and I am the worlds worst when it comes to reading manuals. Information doesn't stick in my memory the way it does in people like Marysan. I wish it did. All I know is that I can sit back and enjoy the likes of Nigels and Marysans photos and hopefully, once in a while, get one of my own that will be close to my photographic hero's (I wish!!).

I'm afraid that I will possibly remain a point and click photographer always hoping that one good shot may come out of the experience. Mind you I have already taken shots of birds that I would have only dreamt about with my old SLR system. Not in the class of most of you guys but good enough for me.

John J,

May I please point out to you that my present Nikon CoolPix is the 4300. I was debating whether my next camera would be a CP 4300 or a CP 4500 when Nikon decided it for me by fully replacing my CP 775 with the 4300. When I master this model I'll move to a more advanced camera. What I'm trying to say to you is that possibly you reached too far too soon in your choice of a camera. Maye you should back up a little and try again. Don't be discouraged. All the best to you.

I think that the point that I and some others are making here is that all to often people get to making the minutae of technicalities into a big issue, Most modern cameras will produce properly exposed and focused images, the art is in fieldcraft, knowing and observing the subject and puting in the time in the field, there are no short-cuts, just like driving from A to B you have to go along the road to get there.
The only way to get the pictures is to spend as much time in the field shooting them. Just like driving a car, when you are learning, it all has to be thought about, however the instructor tells you how to release the clutch or pull away on a hill you have to feel it and get the hang of it yourself, you can't get it right first time by reading a book or being told, after some practice it becomes second nature, then after a while it all seems so easy.
When you are out in the field and there is a bird in your sights the last thing to worry about is recording how far away it is, get the shots, change possition if possible, and get as many images as possible, it cheap on digital, if it ain't right delete it and try again, I tend to shoot on Av and set the aperture so in average lighting conditions the shutter is at 1/250th of a second and let the camera do the rest, if the light is to low drop the aperture or change the gain, I worry about the edges of frame more than the subject, just to know the composition contains all that is wanted in the picture and no more.

Just as a note on exposure details, I often get asked for these when pictures are being published in photo mags and more often than not make them up as I do not keep records of them, that may seem odd but I know very many other pro's who do the same so most of what you read in magazines alongside the published image is just educated guesswork!

Nigel

Last edited:
I certainly do not disagree with Nigel's point of view. Perhaps we are referring to different levels of a photographer's skills and where they need to start at and what they need to learn. The thing I think is very unfortunate, is for those who have cameras that are capable of different modes, yet for reasons of intimidation or simply not remembering what the manual said, the person always stick to full auto mode. No reason to pay thousands for a camera to just do that. However, one must always remember that if you get the same camera AND people with the same skills level, you will still have two different photos though the subject may be the same.

Well, if nothing else, this thread has started a lively discussion. In the meantime I will go out and shoot and shoot...........Have already taken 300 in 2 days! Mostly binned. Loving every minute of it. Found the 100-400L IS lens.......second hand in mint condition and shall receive it next week. Can hardly sleep with the excitement of it all.........!

Paula, Can I ask where you picked up the used 100-400? & can i be really nosy and ask how much? I'm considering buying new because I couldn't find a used one.

Found it advertised on Naturephotographers forum.
My Mum is paying 800 pounds for it!
I see that all that sort of stuff is lots and lots cheaper in the USA.
Might be worth going over there to buy a lens? I suppose you have trouble with the warranty is something is wrong.
Is there likely to be something wrong with a lens??

Last edited:
I think focussing can become erroneous or gases can leak, don't rely on my word. Like an old lady said on You Been Framed "I'm from Stoneleigh!"

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back