• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6x24 trinovid price (1 Viewer)

Renze de Vries said:
Hi,

I wonder if the years of production (1963-65) usually given for the Leitz Trinovid 6x24 are correct. Here's why:
During the Trinovid production (1963-1990) Leitz used 4 different company logo's. In chronological order: a handwritten Leitz signature, a black rectangle, a black dot and a red dot. The first two were used in the sixties, the third in the early seventies and the last one for the subsequent years.
The logo's usually seen on a 6x24 are the Leitz signature and the rectangle, however I have seen a few black dot-6x24's as well. Unlike the earlier two types, who come with a clip/stud strap attachment, these 'black dots' are equipped with a bridge (hook) to hold the strap and also feature soft rubber, fold-down eyecups (of a size also used for the non-B Trinovid types of other configurations).
What I mean to say here is, that for the identification of a 6x24 Trinovid it's not only the serial number that counts. It's also the logo and the strap attachment. If nitro270's Trinovid 6x24 has a black dot Leitz logo, a 'modern' strap fitting and short rubber eyecups, he can be pretty sure his binoculars were manufactured in the early 1970's. Now, what was his serial number again? Starting with 77? Well, this serial # dates his binoculars back to round about 1972. So everything fits, except of course the production years given by Dennis Laney and others.

Note: My impression is that the years of production given for the rubber armoured Leitz Trinovid 7x35 (1981-83) are also incorrect, i.e. too limited.

Renze
Hi Renze, My dating of the years of production of the 6x24's was based primarily on my collection of consumer catalogues, almost every year from 1963, where there is no mention of the 6x24"s after 1965, and Dennis Laneys book. I have owned 3 pairs of 6x24's (currently own one), and have only ever seen about 4 other pairs. All of the ones I have seen have the round black dot and the stud type strap fastener. If some were produced with a different logo and modern strap lugs, this would certainly suggest later production. I have now checked my Leitz General Catalogues for the Leica System years 1966,1969, 1971,1972 and 1973 (these being the catalogues issued to, and for use by, Leitz authorized dealers) and showing the full lines of binoculars for those years, none include the 6x24. The only reference in these books is in the 1966 version which offers the cowhide flat case and eyepiece shields for the 6x24, but not the binoculars.
It is an interesting discussion, it would be so nice to have an authoritative listing to refer to wouldn't it?
Regards, John

jjg213 said:
Hi Renze, My dating of the years of production of the 6x24's was based primarily on my collection of consumer catalogues, almost every year from 1963, where there is no mention of the 6x24"s after 1965, and Dennis Laneys book. I have owned 3 pairs of 6x24's (currently own one), and have only ever seen about 4 other pairs. All of the ones I have seen have the round black dot and the stud type strap fastener. If some were produced with a different logo and modern strap lugs, this would certainly suggest later production. I have now checked my Leitz General Catalogues for the Leica System years 1966,1969, 1971,1972 and 1973 (these being the catalogues issued to, and for use by, Leitz authorized dealers) and showing the full lines of binoculars for those years, none include the 6x24. The only reference in these books is in the 1966 version which offers the cowhide flat case and eyepiece shields for the 6x24, but not the binoculars.
It is an interesting discussion, it would be so nice to have an authoritative listing to refer to wouldn't it?
Regards, John
Hi again, OOPS! I was wrong on my 6x24 logo, mine is rectangular and black. (I, too hastily, had looked at my 8x32's). I note that in the 1963 catalogue picture there is no button or rectangular logo. This has got me wondering about the other ones I have seen, perhaps my memory is failing!
Regards, John

Renze de Vries said:
Hi,

I wonder if the years of production (1963-65) usually given for the Leitz Trinovid 6x24 are correct. Here's why:
During the Trinovid production (1963-1990) Leitz used 4 different company logo's. In chronological order: a handwritten Leitz signature, a black rectangle, a black dot and a red dot. The first two were used in the sixties, the third in the early seventies and the last one for the subsequent years.
The logo's usually seen on a 6x24 are the Leitz signature and the rectangle, however I have seen a few black dot-6x24's as well. Unlike the earlier two types, who come with a clip/stud strap attachment, these 'black dots' are equipped with a bridge (hook) to hold the strap and also feature soft rubber, fold-down eyecups (of a size also used for the non-B Trinovid types of other configurations).
What I mean to say here is, that for the identification of a 6x24 Trinovid it's not only the serial number that counts. It's also the logo and the strap attachment. If nitro270's Trinovid 6x24 has a black dot Leitz logo, a 'modern' strap fitting and short rubber eyecups, he can be pretty sure his binoculars were manufactured in the early 1970's. Now, what was his serial number again? Starting with 77? Well, this serial # dates his binoculars back to round about 1972. So everything fits, except of course the production years given by Dennis Laney and others.

thanx Ranze
the leitz logo is in black circle not rectangle,and also strap attachment are bridge hook new not like older model, but still has red dot, and ser # 77xx !!!
so is that an excpection in term of year of production?
regards

nitro270 said:
Renze de Vries said:
Hi,

thanx Ranze
the leitz logo is in black circle not rectangle,and also strap attachment are bridge hook new not like older model, but still has red dot, and ser # 77xx !!!
so is that an excpection in term of year of production?
regards
Hi again, I am finally coming to the conclusion that, no doubt, you people have already reached, that there must have been a later un-catalogued production of the 6x24's (possibly unadvertised, as well?) Similar to the situation with the 7x50B roof prism model which was not in the dealers' catalogue or in the consumers' brochures but was sold in 1973 (1974?) first run and then showed up in the 1978 price list, and re-issued in 1983 and finally(?) in 1987. Production overruns from military contracts(?)
regards, John

nitro270 said:
The leitz logo is in black circle not rectangle,and also strap attachment are bridge hook new not like older model, but still has red dot, and ser # 77xx !!! So is that an excpection in term of year of production?

Hi nitro270,

Confusion! Note that by 'black dot' I'm referring to the black circular Leitz Wetzlar logo. And when I say 'red dot' I mean the red circular Leitz logo. I think this is common practice among Leitz/Leica collectors. The small red dot found on the identifying ring containing the serial number doesn't mean a thing.

Also, as Leitz serial numbers are continuous, the first two digits don't indicate the year of production. 77**** is about 1972.

Renze

Renze de Vries said:
Hi nitro270,

Confusion! Note that by 'black dot' I'm referring to the black circular Leitz Wetzlar logo. And when I say 'red dot' I mean the red circular Leitz logo. I think this is common practice among Leitz/Leica collectors. The small red dot found on the identifying ring containing the serial number doesn't mean a thing.

Also, as Leitz serial numbers are continuous, the first two digits don't indicate the year of production. 77**** is about 1972.

Renze

Hi again
I double checked mine , it has circle logo and hook bridge strap and seems shortet in lenght and also lighter, can anybody give me exact barrle lenght of yours Trinovid and also weight? and also give me email address I would like you see the pic's of it

Renze de Vries said:
Hi nitro270,

Renze

back to my 6x24 again, it seems shorter and lighter, can anybody give me exact lenght and weight of those usual Trinovid?

Leitz

I bought my Leitz Trinovid 6x24 binoculars (which I still have) with the black circular Leitz Wetzlar logo and fold-down rubber eyecups absolutely brand new, I believe in 1976 (at most give or take one year), from a camera shop on Green Street in Champaign, Illinois for $225, plus tax. I was told by the salesman that the 6x24 size was not popular so they had been discontinued and for that reason I was given $25 off of the regular price of $250. I got the impression that the camera store had had this particular pair in stock for quite some time (possibly for as long as a few years). The serial number is 7755xx and the field of view is stated as 212 meters at 1000 meters. I don't know whether or not that is exactly equivalent to 212 yards at 1000 yards.

I seriously doubt THAT, but the question is, is 212 yards at 1000 yards the same as 212 meters at 1000 meters? I guess what you are trying to say is that if the ratio is the same that's all that really matters, and it doesn't matter what measure you're using, whether it's inches, miles, centimeters or whatever, as long as they are both the same.

212 yards at 1000m is the same as 212m at 1000m.

212 yards at 1000 yards is the same as 212m at 1000m. Each way of expressing the field of view has to keep the same units of measurement.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

212 yards at 1000m is the same as 212m at 1000m.

212 yards [636 feet] at 1000 yards is the same as 212m at 1000m. Each way of expressing the field of view has to keep the same units of measurement.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Trinovid 6X24

I picked up a mint pair a couple of months ago at a thrift shop. I won't tell you what I paid & don't really care what they're worth, cause I wouldn't part with them! They are amazing!

I did a search for them on e-Bay and came across a copy of Leica Photography Magazine, from 1967. There is an article about the 6X24 Trinovid being re-released by popular demand, listed as Cat. No. 40,201 and sold for $230.

Cheers - Dave

3 pair currently on ebay......

I already own an excellent pair of these fine binoculars,....which are about
the best for carrying in a jacket pocket to sporting events, shows, or birding if you're traveling light.

Not cheap,....but these are mint and two have cases. If you want a time
capsule example then pony up! I'm tempted to get a backup, but will
wait a bit before deciding.

Anyway, here they are as of 3-26-11

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEITZ-LEICA-6X2...545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196ffffd1

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEITZ-LEICA-6X2...555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5195a67ea3

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEITZ-LEICA-6X2...484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519461736c

I picked up a mint pair a couple of months ago at a thrift shop. I won't tell you what I paid & don't really care what they're worth, cause I wouldn't part with them! They are amazing!

I did a search for them on e-Bay and came across a copy of Leica Photography Magazine, from 1967. There is an article about the 6X24 Trinovid being re-released by popular demand, listed as Cat. No. 40,201 and sold for $230.

Cheers - Dave

I realize this is an older thread, but i wanted to add a bit here regarding the article on the Leitz 6X24 Trinovids.

I just recieved what i believe is the article you are referring to. I bought the 1967 "Leica Photography , Volumn 20, Number 3" magazine on ebay a few days ago, just because it had this article on the 6X24 Trinovids.

Now, contrary to what is generally thought about the 6X24 Trinovid only produced 1963 -1965, This article states at the very beginning:

"The 6X24 model of the Trinovid binoculars is again available in response to public demand." Remember, this is in the 1967 issue of the Leica Photography magazine!

Of course the article could not say how long the re-issued in 1967 Trinovid would ultimately last,.....but it certainly shows that the limited 1963-1965 production years most often stated for this most handy and capable 6X24 Trinovid is W R O N G!

A copy of the article, as well as the ad appearing on the last inner page of the same 1967 Leica Photography is at the bottom as attached thumbnails.

I was fortunate to pick up a mint- pair about 3 or 4 years ago on ebay,.....I believe I paid around $650 with shipping. It came with a decent (not rotted out) leather strap, and the Leitz soft leather "eveready" pouch. The serial number on my example is: 645527

Save for just a few pinpricks of lost finish on the objective ends it would look as new. I'm fortunately also in that my pair are CLEAR, with none of the typical gassing of old lubricant upon the prisms. The control knobs still silky smooth also.

I have a NOS pair of Leitz 10X40 Trinovids out to TLC Camera Repair (Gus Lazzari) for just that reason, gassing of the lubricants creating an even film over the prisms. My "beater" 8x32 and 7X42 Trinovids are likewise free from any gassing on the prisms, (with very good sharpness and collimation also) but I find the 6X24 pair goes with me more as i ride a bicycle a lot to stay fit, and the weight is barely noticed. I have also found the super wide FOV on these 6X24 pair about the best i could hope for when going to see a sporting event or stage show. Folks using "opera glasses" don't know what they're missing!

Anyway, i also wouldn't part with my pair,.....these are ideal for anyone wanting a super compact size, yet achieve maybe 90-95% of the performance of a typical 8X32 by any top maker in approximately 2/3 the overall size and weight. (in some cases HALF the weight!) In most lighting conditions these are great. If it's really dim i go for my Leitz 7X42 Trinovids anyway,.....and i KNOW someone else did also!

My pair of 7X42 shows just honest wear in the objective housing outer edges,....with maybe 35% of the black finish on that area worn off. Someone carried and used these a LOT,.....and yet i can find no fault with either the sharpness or collimation, and the glass is clear and outer glass surfaces without scraches or chips. Someone lovingly used and cared for them over the last 40-50 years. For me i resign them to low light situations, because they are about 2X the length of the 6X24 pair.

I had mine (6X24) out today while feeding a mass of ducks at a local Price Chopper pond,.....man what a view! Mine must be spot on collimated also because i don't believe these 57 year old eyes could see any better with any other good glass.

A binocular this size and weight SHOULD still exist in SOMEONE'S current product line, but of course doesn't! :-C

Somehow i suspect if Leica would "re-issue" this dimimutive classic a THIRD time,......it might finally be the charm! :king:

( Imagine this Trinovid with phase correction and modern multi-coatings! :eek!: )

Attachments

• Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 061.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 061.jpgsmall.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 063.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 063.jpgsmall.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
I realize this is an older thread, but i wanted to add a bit here regarding the article on the Leitz 6X24 Trinovids.

A binocular this size and weight SHOULD still exist in SOMEONE'S current product line, but of course doesn't! :-C

Somehow i suspect if Leica would "re-issue" this dimimutive classic a THIRD time,......it might finally be the charm! :king:

If they do, I hope they change it enough to add a few mm of eye relief.
The glass is wonderfully handy, but hopeless for those of us who wear glasses.

If they do, I hope they change it enough to add a few mm of eye relief.
The glass is wonderfully handy, but hopeless for those of us who wear glasses.

Yeah,...a 6X24B would be nice, although i usually just remove or flip my my eyeglasses up for a cleaner image anyway. The higher rubber eyecups usually on the "B" models also keeps extranious light from impairing the viewing image, like on my bit later Leitz 8X32B Trinovid example.

BTW, i edited in a few thumbnails in my previous post above, showing a copy of the article, ....as well as the ad appearing on the last inner page of the same 1967 Leica Photography and showing the 6X24 Trinovid was in the 1967 lineup:

Last edited:
My Leitz 6X24 Trinovid in all it's dimimuative glory!

I thought i would post some pics of my Leitz 6X24 Trinovid,.....because all the pictures i have seen of this model don't really convey just how compact and handy they are.

So I took pics with both a tape measure alongside to show scale,...and also up against a $ bill for the same reason. I think this better shows why this truly is a binocular you can have with you all the time!

BTW,...that's the new Leica neckstrap i just recieved today. I would have bought a few more, but they really are kind of expensive due to the re-tooling i think on the old style clip to post attachment. If they eventually sell a lot more of them, i'll reconsider buying a few more if the price comes down. (with tax i paid about $76.00 :eek!: )

It's really comfortable,.....but i think i'm going to remove the rivits on a few of the original straps where the leather is dry rotted and replace the strap with new leather or a soft synthetic,....and re-rivit the clip. Maybe even make a set of brass or aluminum pieces with a loop, to insert & rivit to the old clips after removing the old leather. This would allow attaching most any simple binocular strap.

I'm going to find out if i can buy just the post clips and short leater attached pieces, which would allow most any strap or harness system to be used with this older attachment method.

Anyway,......that's the plan! :D

BTW,......these are really good (MUCH better, actually), than any "opera" style glass if you frequent stage performances, concerts, or most any sporting event regularly. The super wide FOV and the ease of steadying a 6X glass all work together beautifully. That's probably how most folks are using them, and why they bring so much on ebay.

Mine were a bit over $600 4 years ago on ebay,......but some sellers must think they are made of GOLD lately.

$1,400 to $1,600 BIN's is getting into moon money. (i meant Buy-It-Now's,......, but "BIN's" fits too there! )

Be patient if you've been looking for a nice pair, because when you finally do locate them they will most likely become your "daily carry".

"They can have my Leitz 6X24 Trinovids,............when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers!"

:D

Attachments

• Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 049.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 049.jpgsmall.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 054.jpg
    Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 054.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 024.jpg
    Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 024.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 022.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 022.jpgsmall.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 051.jpg
    Leitz 6X24 Trinovid Binoculars 051.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Forgot to mention the close focusing on these......

I forgot to mention the extraordinary "close focus" capability of the Leitz 6X24 Trinovids. I had only seen one referrance to this model's close focusing ability, located here:

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/leitzbin.txt

QUOTE: "6 x 24 | Trinovid | 212 yd| 1963 | 1965 | (40201 & 40202 -- hard case & soft case). 15.5 oz. 11 feet near focus. FOV 12 degrees."

It seemed to me that i had focused a little closer than that recently, so i decided to check. I do wear prescription glasses, but rarely through binoculars. As i cas drive without glasses, i don't feel my eyes are so bad that close focusing distances would change to any large degree. Mine is the typical aging related problems most of us will go through, in that "close up" images need the most correction,....ie for reading and viewing at shorter distances.

I would have expected my close focusing minimum to therefore have been LONGER than the 11 feet quoted in the article above,....but happily that was NOT the case. Quite the opposite, actually!

Last night i decided to check my pair in the house, using the 1 foot each kitchen tiles as a measuring aid.

I focused the binoculars all the way to the close distance point, and walked close to a well lighted door until i had sharp focus on the doorknob.

Folks,....Close Focusing Distance for the Leitz 6X24 Trinovid with my bare eyes was just EIGHT FEET! :t: (and did you notice that wonderful 212M/1000M, 12 degree FOV!)

So either the quoted link info is wrong,.....or aging eyes move the minimum close focusing distance inward!

I suspect the former but what do i know? :D

You butterfly/grasshopper/spiderweb maniacs would have a great time afield with this one! :-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back