• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Guarantee (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, I've sent a pair of Opticron Discoveries into Opticron for repair. The dioptre has become stuck and the bins are slightly out of collimation.
I've received a quote from opticron for labour services.
The binoculars are still under guarantee.
If one of the Opticron reps or somebody on the forum who have dealt with Opticrons service department can confirm if labour services are not included in Opticrons gurantee.

Regards Gerard.

The details of the UK warranty are on our website - http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/guarantees.htm#Bino5yr

For the five year warranty, the following applies:

"In the case of defects attributable to faulty processing or materials, we will assume responsibility for the labour and material costs during the first 2 years after purchase. We reserve the right to decide whether defective parts should be repaired or replaced.

During the next 3 years we will assume responsibility for material costs only, charging corresponding labour costs.

We will accept no liability for damage caused by incorrect use, water penetration - unless the binocular is specified to be waterproof, or for any repairs or actions which have been carried out outside our firm."

Since you bought them in early 2013, the labour charge is applied per the terms above.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Ok thanks for that Pete. Wasn't sure about the labour costs.
I do like the discoveries so I'll go ahead and get them fixed.

Regards Gerard.

Out of collimation and guarantee

Hi, I've sent a pair of Opticron Discoveries into Opticron for repair. The dioptre has become stuck and the bins are slightly out of collimation.
I've received a quote from opticron for labour services.
The binoculars are still under guarantee.
If one of the Opticron reps or somebody on the forum who have dealt with Opticrons service department can confirm if labour services are not included in Opticrons gurantee.

Regards Gerard.

For a binocular to go out of collimation, one of the prisms or lenses must have moved which invariably means the instrument has been bumped or dropped. A guarantee usually covers any fault which is caused by poor workmanship or faulty materials. I doubt many distributors or manufacturers will realign a binocular without making a charge.

For a binocular to go out of collimation, one of the prisms or lenses must have moved which invariably means the instrument has been bumped or dropped. A guarantee usually covers any fault which is caused by poor workmanship or faulty materials. I doubt many distributors or manufacturers will realign a binocular without making a charge.

Sorry just saw this post. I can definitely guarantee that the bins were not bumped or dropped. They are in mint/like new condition apart from the two faults i stated in my first post. They have been in my car glove compartment since I got them. I've used them about three times.
Don't know why I felt the need to explain myself but probably because of false assumptions.
The bins are currently been fixed by Opticron.

Regards Gerard.

Just an update, the discoveries arrived back fixed and in perfect working order. Quite happy with the service from Opticron.��

Regards Gerard.

Just want to give a thumbs up to Opticron USA for great service.
I sent my Countryman HD in to fix the rubber on the focus wheel.
It came unglued, but didn't affect the focus action any, as it was still wrapped tightly around the wheel. However, I still wanted to have it set right, so
I sent it in to their North Carolina HQ. They sent it back with new rubber on the wheel
and it took approx. 10 days; no charge, as it is still under warranty. Good job and rather speedy
service.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back